The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum

Go Back   The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum > M3 and M4 Talk > E90 Saloon / E92 Coupe / E93 Convertible M3 (2008-2013)

Old 14th September 2018, 08:05 AM   #1
Twiglet
On the path

Car: BMW M3 E92 2013
Colour Combo: Alpine White / Black
Default Rattles and Squeeks

Hi chaps,

How are your cars holding up to rattles and squeeks when driving?

I live in East London and our roads here are pretty rough, so mine gets a few rattles and squeeks whenever I go over rough sections of tarmac or cracks etc in road.

The come from the front dash area, the top of the CIC unit, rear dome light and the plastic cover on the side of the driver's seat (with memory buttons and adjusters)

I plan to tackle most of these this weekend with felt tape, so got any tips?
Twiglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 14th September 2018, 09:41 AM   #2
Speed Monk
A mere Chipper

Car: E93 M3
Colour Combo: Alpine White + Fox Red Leather

I had one that was bugging me for a while on the passenger side dash. It turned out to be the glove box rattling, a quick fiddle about with it and it has gone! .

I read a few posts on here about rattles behind the sat nav screens too. It is fairly straight forward to get behind apparently, try running a quick search I recall it bringing up a heap of threads with guides. Usually the felt tape does the job, you just need to test and work out where to position them. Good luck, let us know how you get on with it.

This thread was useful I found when I was looking at it http://forums.m3cutters.co.uk/showth...ghlight=rattle

Last edited by Speed Monk; 14th September 2018 at 10:01 AM.
Speed Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2018, 10:53 AM   #3
lemansblue
Achieved official socks

Car: 2012 e92 M3 comp pack.
Colour Combo: A nice one

dont want to jinks mine, but its still fairly quiet. the f80 loaner i had a while back did my head in with all the noises!
lemansblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2018, 11:41 AM   #4
delboylee
Achieved official socks

Car: E92 M3 Alpine Edition
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Monk View Post
I had one that was bugging me for a while on the passenger side dash. It turned out to be the glove box rattling, a quick fiddle about with it and it has gone! .

I read a few posts on here about rattles behind the sat nav screens too. It is fairly straight forward to get behind apparently, try running a quick search I recall it bringing up a heap of threads with guides. Usually the felt tape does the job, you just need to test and work out where to position them. Good luck, let us know how you get on with it.

This thread was useful I found when I was looking at it http://forums.m3cutters.co.uk/showth...ghlight=rattle
Sorry to jump on this too. I have a small glove box vibrate / rattle. What ‘fiddling’ fixed your rattle?

Cheers
delboylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2018, 12:59 PM   #5
Twiglet
On the path

Car: BMW M3 E92 2013
Colour Combo: Alpine White / Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by delboylee View Post
Sorry to jump on this too. I have a small glove box vibrate / rattle. What ‘fiddling’ fixed your rattle?

Cheers
+1, the sound I'm hearing from the front could be from it and the resonance is probably throwing me off.
Twiglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2018, 01:46 PM   #6
delboylee
Achieved official socks

Car: E92 M3 Alpine Edition

I’ve just used sticky felt pads on the plastic fuse box cover so it’s not that... what to try next?! I have a feeling it’s the screw which holds the glove box when open at its lowest point
delboylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2018, 01:58 PM   #7
joeshaw123
Wearing official robes

Car: 2009 M3 Monte Carlo Edition

I've got a couple of very minor but annoying ones.
The main one seemed to be the centre dash panel that houses the lower push buttons for PDC, heated seats (early spec) etc. If i pushed on the panel the rattle went away. I removed the trim and liberally applied felt tape to everything and refitted, and its only made it worse! Will revisit at some point when I can be bothered.
joeshaw123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2018, 03:02 PM   #8
Speed Monk
A mere Chipper

Car: E93 M3
Colour Combo: Alpine White + Fox Red Leather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiglet View Post
+1, the sound I'm hearing from the front could be from it and the resonance is probably throwing me off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by delboylee View Post

Cheers

I think I may have just got a little bit lucky, the rattle was coming from the left hand side of the glove box. For weeks I thought it was the top of the dash by the A pillar. Whilst driving I had the Mrs see if she could spot the cause, after a light push on the glove box it stops. I then removed the glove box to have a look but nothing stood out, since re-installing it the rattle has gone. No doubt, it will come back soon. If it does I will have to get back in there with felt tape, the tape did wonders on an old car I had.
Speed Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2018, 07:50 PM   #9
Slarty
Achieved official socks

Car: 2008 E92 M3
Colour Combo: Jerez black / Palladium silver

I have a really annoying one that took forever to trace, and turned out to be the bloody armrest. Whether it's because it's a sliding/split one or not, I don't know, but I can't cure it either lol.
Slarty is offline   Reply With Quote