The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum

Go Back   The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum > Forum Sponsors and Advertisers > M3Carbon1

Old 6th May 2018, 08:24 AM   #1
M3CARBON1
Site Sponsor

Location: Global Solution Offered Remotely for all remapping needs
Car: 2002 E46 M3
Colour Combo: Carbon - Red nappa
Cool FAQ - Remapping Info - CSL Airbox Options

The E46 M3 S54 engine responds well to the right type of ECU software. Whenever you change the characteristics of the intake system the software must be changed in order for the selected setup to run properly, this doesn't include K&N air filters for example, but this modification is aimed at the enthusiast looking for the CSL airbox conversion.

This conversion is becoming very popular with E46 M3 owners, Why? The looks, but ultimately the sound! The CSL version of the M3 had the carbon fiber intake installed from factory, producing a very addictive intake note that was a real game changer.

Now onto the technicals, the standard E46 M3 airbox has a much more restricted design. If you note the design of the stock airbox and CSL airbox, the two vary greatly in terms of the way the air enters the engine. The standard airbox has its feed into the engine in the middle of the box, creating a bottleneck which obviously is going to restrict the flow of air into the engine with a harder path for the air to reach cylinders, especially in the corners.

The CSL airbox has a completely open intake allowing much more air into the engine, also the air is directed naturally as the front of the intake leads a path straight into the intake trumpets of the airbox, more air, more fuel is required. The result is better acceleration and more top end power as the flow characteristics are changed, making the pathway for the air to travel a lot easier as I mentioned.

Now onto the mapping aspect. There are a couple of options available:

1. Alpha N mapping

2 CSL ECU conversion mapping

Alpha N is basically a way of the engine calculating how much load is on the engine using RPM and Throttle position. This information is sent to the ecu via these sensors and then into a table where a load is calculated, Alpha N can work well, but it can be a little lumpy on part throttle acceleration, but top end is responsive, this has been a comment from many using this setup, but after some time, you can adapt to the car and find your way around it. Peak output power is around 345-350bhp. (standard car healthy engine 330bhp on a well setup dyno dynamics) the standard BMW software is modified for more power and MAF sensor deletion. Because the Alpha N setup does not have an actual way of measuring since the MAF has been removed, it is calculating load, and is less accurate and that shows slightly while driving, BUT is still does a pretty good job and fine for most.

CSL ECU Conversion - This is where the entire platform of the software is changed. There are 2 types of ECU that are in the E46 M3, the MSS54 (2001- October 2002) Then the MSS54HP, which is the newest version coming in at around September 2002 - 2005. Essentially the HP unit is the same as a stock CSL ECU without the associated hardware to run the flap which the stock csl has, just to clear up questions regarding the flap, there is no real need to fit, it has not difference in terms of performance and was mainly implemented for some small flow reasons but mainly sound restriction at low rpm, (who would want that!).

A solution is available that if you have the earlier ecu, it can be modified to accept the full CSL conversion, the later ecu needs no hardware modifications and can be flashed directly with CSL software. The model unit is upgraded by changing the EEPROMS that store the software, and some resistors, when this has been carried out, the unit is then technically a HP unit ready to accept CSL software, which is uploaded to the ecu via BDM, a method which is known for programming the EEPROMS directly thought a programmer connected to the ECU.

The best option here is the CSL ecu conversion, it has a completely different calibration compared to Alpha N and is more complex, one of the reasons that this is the better option is because the CSL software runs with a map sensor, the map sensor uses a vacuum reading in order to calculate load and is accurate. This basically is replacing the MAF and has a 3rd load reference, Alpha N has 2, this results in a smoother and more responsive throttle and gives you the 'cable' feel of the throttle and not fly by wire, which the M3 uses, which makes it feel far more responsive and smoother.

Below is a car that I had on the dyno which produced great results with my mapping. My remaps are tuned on the road, to make sure the real feel and target is archived. Take a look at the air fuel curve. Pretty straight and no dips, how it should be and is not easy to archive. And here is a dyno video of the engine to match https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjywG66o_UU

Keep it tuned guys

Last edited by M3CARBON1; 8th September 2018 at 08:47 PM.
M3CARBON1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2018, 08:31 PM   #2
bimmermen
A mere Chipper

Car: 2003 m3

hi , did you install oem csl airbox ?
bimmermen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2018, 01:03 PM   #3
M3CARBON1
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmermen View Post
hi , did you install oem csl airbox ?
No this was a rep..

Last edited by M3CARBON1; 9th July 2018 at 08:16 PM.
Old 11th August 2018, 04:56 PM   #4
lee gray
Achieved official socks

Car: 2005 m3
Colour Combo: silverstone

How comes i had to send u my 2005 hp ecu then if it can just b flashed from home?
lee gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2018, 08:43 AM   #5
M3CARBON1
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee gray View Post
How comes i had to send u my 2005 hp ecu then if it can just b flashed from home?
I was using another solution then.