The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum

Go Back   The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum > M3 and M4 Talk > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Old 18th June 2017, 04:26 PM   #1
WillMids
A mere Chipper

Car: Range Rover Sport
Default Cant engage 2nd beyond 2k RPM. Syncro?

Hi Guys,

Was out for a drive this afternoon and it felt like I totally lost second. I tried ot shift from 4th to 2nd at about 40mph and it flat out refused to let me put the gear stick into 2nd. After a bit of testing it seems that I can get from 1st to 2nd so long as I am going about 10-20mph, anymore than that and it wont let me. I can also get fom 3rd to 2nd at about 20mph, anymore and again it flat out refuses.

Sounds like a syncro to me but I am praying it isnt as from what I gather it seems that reconditioning a box is a dark art and not many people do it. This would mean I ahve to buy a used box on eBay - I dont supose you guys know if an SMG box will fit a 6MT?

What else could it be other than syncro? I cant see how it could be, but any chance its just clutch or release bearing or something?
WillMids is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 18th June 2017, 04:31 PM   #2
mitesh33
Wearing official robes

Car: 2002 BMW E46 M3 Coupe Manual
Colour Combo: Estriol Blue With Two Tone Black/Grey Interior

I wouldn't refurb the box, if will cost more than a used box, yes a SMG box will work, you just need to swap the bell housing from your manual to the SMG.

I would let a mechanic look, as yes it could be clutch related.

Note you'll need to tap a thread for the gear recognition sensor. Very simple job which any mechanic swapping it around can do in 20mins

Last edited by mitesh33; 18th June 2017 at 04:33 PM.
mitesh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2017, 04:34 PM   #3
WillMids
A mere Chipper

I'll take it to my indy this week, just really dont need yet more pain in the arse with it! The joys of M3 ownership. Im praying its just something like a clutch or fluid or something :/
Old 19th June 2017, 12:30 PM   #4
BenB
On the path

Car: 2001 BMW M3
Colour Combo: New Zealand Rugby team

Having done it once, I also wouldn't bother refurbing again. I hope it's something simple.
BenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2017, 12:43 PM   #5
WillMids
A mere Chipper

I spoke to my local indy who said it's new gear box time. Thankfully they are not crazy money on ebay, bung a new clutch and flywheel in there whilst I'm at it.
Old 19th June 2017, 01:10 PM   #6
BenB
On the path

Car: 2001 BMW M3
Colour Combo: New Zealand Rugby team

Good luck - hope you find a good box. It's a bit luck of the draw, but the SMG boxes are cheaper as more common and the argument goes that they shouldn't have shagged synchros as the SMG shouldn't crunch the gears.
BenB is offline   Reply With Quote