The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum

Go Back   The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum > M3 and M4 Talk > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Old 19th June 2017, 02:10 PM   #21
niracka
Rocking a new hat

Car: 2003 BMW M3 SMG
Colour Combo: Silver grey / Imola red

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123dan View Post
The cheaper car would only be better value if it was kept as standard, a full respray to the standard that you'd expect of a car with such a price would cost a minimum of 3k and a good full retrim would cost about the same. So that's 6k minimum and the quality of work isn't guaranteed, plus a lot of the value of these higher priced cars are in their originality so by respraying/retrimming it's unlikely the cost would be recouped in any sale
I see your point but there are plenty of sub 10k verts in excellent condition going about even in the right colour and a good factory interior can be had for less than a grand.

Having seen some of the custom re-trims that can be had though that would definitely be me my chosen route if I was looking to change/improve my interior and done right would certainly add value in my eyes (perhaps not to a low mileage original car though)

Either way you'll lose money as the mileage increases on the 22k car. I guess it's down to what you can afford or are prepared to spend at the end of the day.

Olly
niracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 19th June 2017, 02:59 PM   #22
ryn004
On the path

Car: BMW Z3

If you are looking into resell in less than a decade I would skip on this.

However you only live once and if you can afford to treat yourself, go for it. You already have proven from your research that they are hard to come by in this combo.
ryn004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2017, 08:13 PM   #23
Dip14
Rocking a new hat

Car: 2002 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryn004 View Post
If you are looking into resell in less than a decade I would skip on this.

However you only live once and if you can afford to treat yourself, go for it. You already have proven from your research that they are hard to come by in this combo.
I agree with this line of thinking
Dip14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2017, 10:07 PM   #24
Martinp
Rocking a new hat

Car: 2003 E46 M3 Coupe, Macan Turbo, R1200GS
Colour Combo: Estoril Blue / Black

I'm sure I paid over the odds for my car last year EB/Black Interior/No sunroof/Manual/Coupe but I wanted that combo specifically so I didn't mind. Paid less than half what you are contemplating though (many more miles).
Martinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2017, 10:22 PM   #25
kevM3
Achieved official socks

Car: 2014 F80 M3 & a 2009 123d M sport coupe
Colour Combo: Mineral Grey ,Silverstone leather

Wouldnt give 22 for it myself ,let alone 22k! Worst colour combo , conv , hairdesser written all over it!
kevM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2017, 10:26 PM   #26
Martinp
Rocking a new hat

Car: 2003 E46 M3 Coupe, Macan Turbo, R1200GS
Colour Combo: Estoril Blue / Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevM3 View Post
Wouldnt give 22 for it myself ,let alone 22k! Worst colour combo , conv , hairdesser written all over it!
Brutal!
Martinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2017, 02:05 AM   #27
123dan
Achieved official socks

Car: E46 M3 CS
Colour Combo: IB / Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by niracka View Post
I see your point but there are plenty of sub 10k verts in excellent condition going about even in the right colour and a good factory interior can be had for less than a grand.

Having seen some of the custom re-trims that can be had though that would definitely be me my chosen route if I was looking to change/improve my interior and done right would certainly add value in my eyes (perhaps not to a low mileage original car though)

Either way you'll lose money as the mileage increases on the 22k car. I guess it's down to what you can afford or are prepared to spend at the end of the day.

Olly
Horses for courses I suppose. If it's purely about the colour combo then I agree with you, buy something cheap but mechanically sound and then modify to your taste. If it's about getting the lowest miles/best condition/best looked after car in your perfect spec (from the factory) then the price should be irrelevant, if you *need* that car then buy it! How SMG could be in anyone's 'perfect spec' is another matter and a vert well...
123dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2017, 08:03 AM   #28
niracka
Rocking a new hat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123dan View Post
Horses for courses I suppose. If it's purely about the colour combo then I agree with you, buy something cheap but mechanically sound and then modify to your taste. If it's about getting the lowest miles/best condition/best looked after car in your perfect spec (from the factory) then the price should be irrelevant, if you *need* that car then buy it! How SMG could be in anyone's 'perfect spec' is another matter and a vert well...
SMG was on my spec list when I got my first one and I still love it
Old 20th June 2017, 08:25 AM   #29
lambo555
Rocking a new hat

Car: E46 M3
Colour Combo: Laguna Seca Blue over Black

phone them tell them you have 16k waiting and leave it there 16k is a very good offer he will have it sat there forever at that price
lambo555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2017, 08:33 AM   #30
niracka
Rocking a new hat

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambo555 View Post
phone them tell them you have 16k waiting and leave it there 16k is a very good offer he will have it sat there forever at that price
This!!
Old 20th June 2017, 08:55 AM   #31
Jlynch1984
Wearing official underwear

Car: E46 Laguna Seca Blue Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by niracka View Post
This!!
Agreed!!
Jlynch1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2017, 10:03 AM   #32
M3Dream
Rocking a new hat

Car: M3 e46 Estoril Blue Convertible
Colour Combo: Estoril Blue / Champagne Leather

My take on this is if its what you really want go for it. When I brought mine I had a budget and a tick list of what features/options it must have. I went over my budget a little but I got a car which ticked every box and I'm very happy. I also got fed up driving al round the country at what some people described as MINT and when I arrived it was far from mint. So you have to take in to consideration whats your time worth aswell.
M3Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2017, 10:21 AM   #33
Rick M3
Achieved official socks

Car: 2002 M3 Convertible

I still wouldn't commit to 16k without viewing it first
Rick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2017, 12:17 PM   #34
Caveman
Wearing official robes

Colour Combo: Carbon Black/ Black / Black

Nice looking car and well presented. I would have thought for that money they could throw in a tow hook for the tool kit! For that kind of money I would expect faultless paint, hood condition, interior. I would also expect it to have none of the usual consumables lining up like disks, pads, bushings, etc.

Ultimately, the car is only worth what some one will pay for it. If it is the perfect spec, is perfect when you see it up close and drives like a dream then you may feel it is worth the premium but buy it remembering that others may not share your view of what makes it so special...

Good luck!
Caveman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2017, 12:23 PM   #35
ryn004
On the path

Car: BMW Z3

FYI: My tow hook is included near an allocated space near the wheel kit, and hence got the blank space also in the toolkit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveman View Post
Nice looking car and well presented. I would have thought for that money they could throw in a tow hook for the tool kit! For that kind of money I would expect faultless paint, hood condition, interior. I would also expect it to have none of the usual consumables lining up like disks, pads, bushings, etc.

Ultimately, the car is only worth what some one will pay for it. If it is the perfect spec, is perfect when you see it up close and drives like a dream then you may feel it is worth the premium but buy it remembering that others may not share your view of what makes it so special...

Good luck!
ryn004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2017, 12:28 PM   #36
Caveman
Wearing official robes

Colour Combo: Carbon Black/ Black / Black

Good catch! Yes I'd forgotten that; I'm thinking of my old 330.
Caveman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2017, 02:36 PM   #37
lambo555
Rocking a new hat

Car: E46 M3
Colour Combo: Laguna Seca Blue over Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick M3 View Post
I still wouldn't commit to 16k without viewing it first
True but a offer of 16k gets him the first phone call the op can chip him once he see's the car
or go see the car offer him 16k if its worth it and walk away leaving him to think on it

Last edited by lambo555; 20th June 2017 at 02:43 PM.
lambo555 is offline   Reply With Quote