The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum

Go Back   The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum > M3 and M4 Talk > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Old 18th June 2017, 10:30 AM   #1
m3leon
Wearing official underwear

Car: 2005 BMW E46 M3
Colour Combo: Carbon Black / Imola Red Leather
Default Would you pay over the odds for an immaculate low mileage example in your fav spec?!

Hello gents,

I have long been admiring the estoril blue and champagne leather spec cars and have been looking for a year, you might have seen my recent post.

I have just seen this very expensive low mileage example pop up for just shy of 22k and seriously considering it.

What are peoples thoughts, how over priced is it?

I plan to keep it for a long time but if the high sticker price and continued BMW main dealer servicing over the years worth it in the long run. Would you ever get your money for a future sale?

Have a look and let me know your thoughts, many thanks

Leon

http://www.millenniumheroes.com/cars...m3-4-for-sale/

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2630339958...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
m3leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 18th June 2017, 10:33 AM   #2
TigMik
Achieved official socks

Car: M3
Colour Combo: Java V8 with a 3 piece roof!!

It's a lovely car and exactly the same as my old one, but it's too much. For me 15k would be more than enough.
TigMik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2017, 10:37 AM   #3
alpinaman
Achieved official socks

Car: 500 bhp+

Beautiful car but it would have to be the "one and only" car for that kind of money.. 15-16k is absolutley flat out for that car IMHO,and personally i wouldnt want to pay that..

That said if your keeping it a long time,resale shouldnt be on your mind.

Vert and SMG will cut future buyers by half.
alpinaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2017, 10:43 AM   #4
ExCop530dT
Achieved official socks

Car: E39 Ex Police 530d Touring

Hi,

Everyone has a different opinion !

1. Go view the car.
2. Check for evidence of all the high ticket price aspects have been changed/fixed along with invoices to prove
3. Drive the car, see how it feels and check for functionality of everything to ensure it works.
4. Have an independent inspection done.
5. Evaluate the car thoroughly and also compare to what you want the car for.
6. Lots of members on here as well as those selling E46 M3's have the opinion they'll keep rising in value. That might well be the case and in 3,5,7,10+ years time this and other similar OEM, sought after colours/spec etc cars might have 50K asking prices. The REAL aspect is how much they'll actually 'SELL' for in the future.
7. If you feel good with everything about the car, then seriously consider purchasing it.

For me, I don't think there's going to be much of a significant increase in 'Actual Selling Prices' over the next few years, a decade and beyond for a non CSL variant.Sure, there'll be high asking prices all over the place, but that doesn't mean they'll sell for that amount.

Overall, you'll likely not make back all the money you purchase and maintain the car for over the period you are thinking to keep it. You 'might' get close, maybe a small'ish profit once you consider insurance, VED costs, fuel and of course maintaining a full BMW service history and replacing any parts with genuine BMW items again, with invoices to prove.

Other's will disagree and remain convinced that Fast variants of mass produced executive cars - M, AMG, RS etc will keep going up and up in value. No one has a crystal ball so it's really down to you and your wallet and long term life aspirations!

Good luck if you do get it !

Cheers, Dennis!
ExCop530dT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2017, 11:23 AM   #5
decrassius
A mere Chipper

Car: e60 m5

I also love the light leather and blue - had that combo on my e60 m5 and m4. I wiuldn't go vert but each to his own.

I think it's worth paying a bit more for the spec you want, if it's rare. As you say, it can take a year or more to find another one, and buying an M3 is all about getting what you desire, not something sort-of-close-and-kind-of-ok...

Compared to other cars you'll lose a lot less in depreciation. Imagine buying a new Golf GTI or something for similar price...And it could even go up as (a) e46s keep getting rarer and (b) turbo and electric technology mean the experience is not being replicated or superseded by new cars
decrassius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2017, 04:09 PM   #6
Shezbo
Wearing official robes

Car: 2004 E46 M3 Cabriolet

Yep definitely worth it.....

If people think it should be priced lower....find one...you are only here once remember??
Shezbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2017, 05:05 PM   #7
Cuttah
Achieved official socks

Car: 1997 Estoril Blue / Silver Grey leather OEM E36 Evo Coupe

The answer in principle is 'yes', but that is massive money for a non-limited edition in a not very rare colour with probably the least desirable body and box.

IF you paid that much for it, you simply couldn't put much mileage on it unless you were really comfortable in losing money hand over fist if you were to sell.
Cuttah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2017, 05:09 PM   #8
j3nks79
Achieved official socks

Car: 05 M3 SMG
Colour Combo: CB/Black

If you won't compromise on colour etc then you don't have much choice.
I certainly wouldn't entertain that price
j3nks79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2017, 05:11 PM   #9
eddiew
A mere Chipper

Car: 2006 m3
Colour Combo: black on black

nice car but not worth 22k
eddiew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2017, 05:15 PM   #10
JoePeps
Achieved official socks

Car: 997.2/XJS/S1000RR
Colour Combo: Black/Red

I would 100%.

I'm about to buy another V8 M3, will be losing more on my current car than I'd like, and paying a bit more than I should for the car but it't what I want so why not?!
JoePeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2017, 06:25 PM   #11
Rick M3
Achieved official socks

Car: 2002 M3 Convertible

You might as well go see it, but it won't be 22k of car...

Quote:
19" alloys, correctly finished with a diamond cut face and dark anthracite insert....
Guess I need to get my factory-finish wheels diamond cut then

What tyres are on it ? They've not made Conti M3s for about four years now, so the tyres will be getting good and crusty

I'd honestly consider repainting a silver car with a reinforced subframe for this sort of money. It would be absolutely mint and you'd save yourself 5-6k in the process
Rick M3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2017, 06:52 PM   #12
Simundo
Achieved official socks

Car: E46 M3 CS, E90 M3, 1M

Go for it. You'll always love it.
Simundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2017, 07:26 PM   #13
123dan
Achieved official socks

Car: E46 M3 CS
Colour Combo: IB / Black

Yep buy it as long as the condition is as described and the history is comprehensive. It's such a desirable colour combo and will only be worth more in future if looked after correctly. Finding clean ones now is extremely difficult so do it while you can!
123dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2017, 10:32 AM   #14
niracka
Rocking a new hat

Car: 2003 BMW M3 SMG
Colour Combo: Silver grey / Imola red

If you are prepared to pay that based on the colour you want then just get a decent car and repaint or even get one the right colour body wise and get a top custom retrim in your choice of colour. It would still be cheaper and certainly more individual when it comes to resale if you are bothered about that.

Olly
niracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2017, 11:42 AM   #15
JamesHirst
Achieved official socks

Car: 2003 E46 M3
Colour Combo: TittySilver/Black

22 grand, bonkers as much as the 'old' E46 is a good car its not 22k's worth, maybe its because mine have been dailys theyre not that special anymore.

If you think its worth 22k go for it, your brass your choice though
JamesHirst is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2017, 12:14 PM   #16
decrassius
A mere Chipper

Car: e60 m5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesHirst View Post
22 grand, bonkers as much as the 'old' E46 is a good car its not 22k's worth, maybe its because mine have been dailys theyre not that special anymore.

If you think its worth 22k go for it, your brass your choice though
As any economist will tell you, value is determined by the intersection of demand and supply.

The supply of good low mileage e46 m3s is getting lower every day.

Demand is being sustained by the fact that new cars are not replacing the demand. They are not superseding the visceral sports car experience. Turbos now, soon to be electric cars, automatics, electric steering, weight, size...
decrassius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2017, 01:44 PM   #17
Rob043
Achieved official socks

Car: E46 M3
Colour Combo: Carbon Black/Imola Red

Its up to you alone to decide if its worth the money. Know that a good example can be found for less, but if you will get more enjoyment from this spec then go for it. As said, if you can't see another for sale then it is a bargain.

If this is the most fun you will get for the money then it is a good choice.
Rob043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2017, 01:53 PM   #18
123dan
Achieved official socks

Car: E46 M3 CS
Colour Combo: IB / Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by niracka View Post
If you are prepared to pay that based on the colour you want then just get a decent car and repaint or even get one the right colour body wise and get a top custom retrim in your choice of colour. It would still be cheaper and certainly more individual when it comes to resale if you are bothered about that.

Olly
The cheaper car would only be better value if it was kept as standard, a full respray to the standard that you'd expect of a car with such a price would cost a minimum of 3k and a good full retrim would cost about the same. So that's 6k minimum and the quality of work isn't guaranteed, plus a lot of the value of these higher priced cars are in their originality so by respraying/retrimming it's unlikely the cost would be recouped in any sale
123dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2017, 01:56 PM   #19
Rick M3
Achieved official socks

Car: 2002 M3 Convertible

I'm sure you'd get a decent quality interior off here or from a breakers for a few hundred quid

Even if the repray cost you 3k, that's 9,000 you'd save which you could put towards nice wheels, new tyres, the inevitable subframe repair and fuel to enjoy your new purchase
Rick M3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2017, 01:59 PM   #20
j3nks79
Achieved official socks

Car: 05 M3 SMG
Colour Combo: CB/Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123dan View Post
The cheaper car would only be better value if it was kept as standard, a full respray to the standard that you'd expect of a car with such a price would cost a minimum of 3k and a good full retrim would cost about the same. So that's 6k minimum and the quality of work isn't guaranteed, plus a lot of the value of these higher priced cars are in their originality so by respraying/retrimming it's unlikely the cost would be recouped in any sale
If resale was on his agenda then he shouldn't be buying at that price anyway.
j3nks79 is offline   Reply With Quote