The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum

Go Back   The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum > M3 and M4 Talk > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Old 13th June 2017, 01:18 PM   #21
niracka
Rocking a new hat

Car: 2003 BMW M3 SMG
Colour Combo: Silver grey / Imola red

How many miles has it done?? It does sound pretty bottom endy to me but i'd still be inclined to have a look under the rocker cover at the vanos and make sure you haven't got a broken hub or a snapped chain guide.

Olly
niracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 13th June 2017, 02:14 PM   #22
TouringRob
Wearing official underwear

Car: M3 Touring

A long screw driver is a good emergency tool for this, put end against your ear and touch the other end (metal end) against various parts of the engine to try and locate where the noise is coming from, head/block etc.
TouringRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2017, 09:51 PM   #23
Jim1556
Achieved official socks

Car: 2004 M3
Colour Combo: Black / Black

Just been looking at some DIYs, I cannot ****ing believe how much has gotta come off, just to drop the sump!

Could BMW have made it any more laborious???

Also, watching other videos almost confirms it's top endy - but I'm kinda stuck in limbo not knowing at the mo.

Plan is to remove the cam cover and have a good poke as far as possible, remove the oil filter and pan for gold (copper), and play with a screwdriver/hammer to narrow down potential culprits. I also have access to an aviation standard boroscope, so might lob that down a few holes.

I'm with ADAC, but unsure if they'll tow it home from Belgium just for a noise. I've emailed ETA, as it might be possible to nurse it to Calais (55 miles) and then to ETA as they're not too far from Folkestone (47 miles). Obviously, it's a risk, but I'll know more once I've had a peek at things...
Jim1556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2017, 03:05 PM   #24
Jim1556
Achieved official socks

So, I've spent the afternoon poking around and finding nothing. A relief, but also frustrating as the problem is still there.

Other than some crap (which is what the filter is for), there was no copper or ferrous material to be had with a magnet:

http://thumbsnap.com/qAKIVhTj
I put the boroscope pretty much anywhere I couldn't see with a naked eye and again, nothing out of the ordinary was found. Vanos exhaust tabs are still in good condition, no bits of plastic from the tensioner, all looked normal.

The head/camshaft area is a little dirtier than expected, but no cause of alarm, everything was still moist where it should be.

http://thumbsnap.com/ECjrbw1t

So I'm off to rebuild everything, and unless the noise gets any worse, I'm gonna nurse it home next week and give it to my garage. Hopefully, it may just need a re-shim...

Last edited by Jim1556; 18th June 2017 at 03:13 PM.
Old 18th June 2017, 03:07 PM   #25
j3nks79
Achieved official socks

Car: 05 M3 SMG
Colour Combo: CB/Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1556 View Post
So, I've spent the afternoon poking around and finding nothing. A relief, but also frustrating as the problem is still there.

Other than some crap (which is what the filter is for), there was no copper or ferrous material to be had with a magnet:

I put the boroscope pretty much anywhere I couldn't see with a naked eye and again, nothing out of the ordinary was found. Vanos exhaust tabs are still in good condition, no bits of plastic from the tensioner, all looked normal.

The head/camshaft area is a little dirtier than expected, but no cause of alarm, everything was still moist where it should be.

So I'm off to rebuild everything, and unless the noise gets any worse, I'm gonna nurse it home next week and give it to my garage. Hopefully, it may just need a re-shim...
Did you check the cam fingers for flat spots?
j3nks79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2017, 03:11 PM   #26
Jim1556
Achieved official socks

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3nks79 View Post
Did you check the cam fingers for flat spots?
Don't know why the pics haven't uploaded???

The cam fingers looked nice and smooth, no flat spots, though they were a bit tight to slide out from under the cam...
Old 18th June 2017, 04:45 PM   #27
Jim1556
Achieved official socks

By the way, I used this DIY, top bloke!

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=450097
Old 19th June 2017, 07:10 AM   #28
AshE46M3
Achieved official socks

Car: Golf R

Good luck with this, report back your findings.
AshE46M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2017, 08:13 AM   #29
Rob043
Achieved official socks

Car: E46 M3
Colour Combo: Carbon Black/Imola Red

All 24 cam sprocket and hub bolts were visually tight (fully inserted)?

Even without a breakage I think the pump disc can cause a noise. But I THINK its only at certain engine speeds due to resonance and not constant.

you're only a cheap set of feeler gauges away from checking the valve clearances. Surely that is worth doing while you have the cover off?

Good luck.
Rob043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2017, 01:14 PM   #30
Jim1556
Achieved official socks

All back together now, CBA to take the fan off as it was a long hot day. The noise sounds more like it's near the 2nd or 3rd cylinder on the exhaust side, not the front (vanos).

Strange thing is, when clap cold, there's no noise. Only after 1-2 mins of idling does it appear.

Bloody cars!
Old 19th June 2017, 01:18 PM   #31
cossie1
Achieved official socks

Car: 2002 M3 Coupe
Colour Combo: Jet Black / Black

Quote:

Strange thing is, when clap cold, there's no noise. Only after 1-2 mins of idling does it appear.
Oil is thick when it's cold, therefore it takes up clearances better, as well as having more pressure.

As the oil gets warm, it thins out and the pressure reduces, therefore you start to hear the noise.
cossie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2017, 01:19 PM   #32
Londongal7

Car: E92 M3
Colour Combo: Ruby Black

Quote:
I'm at work in Belgium, but having Sundays off, I nipped over to the Ring yesterday. It was too hot, I got sunburn and my engine is now ticking.

It's always warmed up properly before leathering commences, and has full BM service history, Insp 2 8000 miles ago.
Had a cracking day including 7 laps and a new 8.29 PB, and a cruise on the Autobahn upto 150+.

However, as I got closer to my digs in Belgium, I could hear a not quite normal noise, but put it down to paranoia and tiredness (11.30pm arrival from a 7.30am start). As I've stopped, I've let it idle for a minute and there's a distinct clicking on tickover, same this morning. The frequency increases up with revs.

I don't need the car while I'm here but will drive 300 miles home in 2 weeks.

So many horror stories on here, and it sounds top end, but not like a marble in a can type rattle.

I'm furious with myself as I filled up at Ed's with Super (95) instead of Super Plus (98) and didn't realise until I filled up prior to leaving the Ring. Maybe this was the cause (leathering it on 95)? First time I've ever put 95 RON in it!

I have tools, but limited chance to work on the car due to work (next Sunday is free, but I'd be working outside) and using a local unknown garage is a 'I'd rather not!'

Thoughts?
When mine was doing that up and down with revs it was the water pump.
Londongal7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2017, 01:26 PM   #33
Jim1556
Achieved official socks

Water pump was replaced 18 months ago along with radiator and oil cooler. Pre emotive just after I'd bought it...
Old 19th June 2017, 01:31 PM   #34
Londongal7

Car: E92 M3
Colour Combo: Ruby Black

Quote:
Water pump was replaced 18 months ago along with radiator and oil cooler. Pre emotive just after I'd bought it...
And there's no movement in the pulleys?
Londongal7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2017, 03:08 PM   #35
Jim1556
Achieved official socks

I'll have a look later, busy at work taking a tail rotor gearbox apart...
Old 19th June 2017, 07:25 PM   #36
Seanjmoyle
On the path

Car: 05 Titan M3 + C250 + A1 S line

Many moons ago i came out of some S bends full gas in the EP3 Type r i had at the time and had the same noise (quite a bit worse) after inspection i had done the big end bearings on one side of the engine due to low oil level and no baffled sump so under cornering starved one side of the engine from oil. Shouldnt be the same on the M3 due to engine orientation but could oil starvation be a possible cause?

Fingers crossed you find the cause or solution soon.
Seanjmoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2017, 08:05 AM   #37
niracka
Rocking a new hat

Car: 2003 BMW M3 SMG
Colour Combo: Silver grey / Imola red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanjmoyle View Post
Many moons ago i came out of some S bends full gas in the EP3 Type r i had at the time and had the same noise (quite a bit worse) after inspection i had done the big end bearings on one side of the engine due to low oil level and no baffled sump so under cornering starved one side of the engine from oil. Shouldnt be the same on the M3 due to engine orientation but could oil starvation be a possible cause?

Fingers crossed you find the cause or solution soon.
Do you mean front or back rather than side to side? since they are kind of spinning about in the middle......
niracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2017, 08:44 AM   #38
Seanjmoyle
On the path

Car: 05 Titan M3 + C250 + A1 S line

Quote:
Originally Posted by niracka View Post
Do you mean front or back rather than side to side? since they are kind of spinning about in the middle......
Any way that a part of the engine could have been starved of oil due to a low-ish/not max level of oil when being driven hard on a track.
Seanjmoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2017, 12:29 PM   #39
Rob043
Achieved official socks

Car: E46 M3
Colour Combo: Carbon Black/Imola Red

Try an oil change? Maybe the oil got overly hot and has broken down excessively and thinned. I'm not basing the suggestion on any good oil knowledge though!
Rob043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2017, 03:11 PM   #40
m3rosco
Achieved official socks

Car: 2002 bmw m3
Colour Combo: phoenix yellow / black

Mine did exactly the same recently. Turned out to be a worn rocker. Back one on no6 exhaust side. Pic shows difference between new any my worn one.

m3rosco is offline   Reply With Quote