The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum

Go Back   The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum > M3 and M4 Talk > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Old 27th May 2017, 09:41 AM   #1
taz07
A mere Chipper

Car: 2003 M3
Colour Combo: Silver/Black
Default Dynavin N6 E46 installed but...

hi all
i have last night installed the dynavin head unit, all went prettty smooth including replacing the bracket (i had non-satnav HU) anyway..long story short, GPS works fine, bluetooth calls work fine but when I try get my music via bluetooth i can see the name of the song etc on the screen but no sound..it def plays at the background i mean i can start stop pause the songs but no sound.
same goes for AUX input, when i connect the phone via AUX, click on the HU AUX thing then "ATTENTION YOU CANNOT USE THIS FUNCTION WHILE DRIVING" screen comes on. CD and Radio works fine by the way.
brake option is unticked, master volumes are ON !!

am i missing anything here??
taz07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 27th May 2017, 11:36 AM   #2
XKaLiBaR
Site Sponsor

Car: E46 M3 Manual
Colour Combo: Red/Red

Have you tried increasing the volume on the mobile?
XKaLiBaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2017, 11:44 AM   #3
taz07
A mere Chipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by XKaLiBaR View Post
Have you tried increasing the volume on the mobile?
yes sure, no sound at all but weird thing is bluetooth voice calls works perfectly as well as the radio and DVD/CD player....
Old 27th May 2017, 04:22 PM   #4
taz07
A mere Chipper

solved the sound issue
basically i had not installed some of the cables as would not use the camera, video out etc, i removed the HU and popped all the cable and everything works as they should now.

quite happy with the dynavin so far. sound quality is definetely better even wth the stock speakers

now time to install the MB Quartz QM165s to front doors and MB Quartz ZK1-116s on the rear tray.

does anyone have this setup and did you need an additinal subwoofer? i really think speakers will suffice but let you know the outcome once they are installed

few pictures - http://imgur.com/a/nKHAB
Old 6th June 2017, 03:02 PM   #5
taz07
A mere Chipper

here is the update of my stereo upgrade

i have installed he dynavin headunit, everything seem to be working find apart from the rear parking display screen, it does not come up on the screen when i put the gear in reverse, seller told me to take the unit off and put it back on after 30 mins or so to reset the device but i am not really too bothered to have that parking thing on the screen. beep is more than sufficient for me

what i have used is;

Dynavin N6 E46 shape Head unit
MB Quartz QM165s to front doors and MB Quartz ZK1-116s on the rear tray
Speaker adapters for ZK1 series (bought from ebay)
Pioneer TS-WX120 under seat subwoofer (not yet installed)

Speakers are still breaking in and i feel like sound is getting better and better everyday. I can definitely recommend the MB Quart speakers which are a huge improvement over stock speakers but speakers ONLY would be disappointing as I have for a short time used the Dynavin HU with the stock speakers and improvement was just tiny amount. After replacing the HU and installing all above mentioned speakers, sound quality became far better than the stock system. I defintely recommend the speakers as well as the headunit.

Fronts QM165 series

They are NOT plug an play really as the stock tweeter hole is very small and the MBQ one is probably 2 x times larger in diameter in which case you need to modify the tweeter holder bracket with a Stanley knife or something like that. Mid range is plug and play, 3 screws out, old speaker out and the new one in. Easy!!

Rears ZK1 series

You will need adapters for rear speakers if you would like to install the ZK1 series speakers. However, if you do not want to buy adapters you can just install QM165s at the rear as well but the only difference is you may need to cut two new holes in order to accommodate the tweeters. ZK1 tweeters is attached to the midrange and it fits under the cover perfectly even if you use the plastic adapters.

Dynavin N6

it has everything you need; Bluetooth (both music and phone), aux in, cd/dvd player, satnav, etc and is very easy to use once you get used to it. satnav may take little time to understand how it works but once you are used to it, it gets pretty easy to use it apart from the fact you have to change the city name when you try to put address of lets say a place in Oxford when you are currently in Lndon. i.e its not like you go to google maps and put Bicester Village and it finds automatically..it is NOT, you HAVE to know where you heading, change the city so satnav can give you all the results.

anyway, all in all pretty happy with the system but i think bass could be better hence i hv ordered the Pioneer underseat bass which will be delivered tomorrow and i will install the same. heard only good things about it and its not too expensive at 119 pounds + dynavin has the subwoofer output so it will be just plug and play and hopefully add the deep bass i like hearing while listening songs in low volumes. though, speakers provide a lot of bass and same may be sufficient for classical and jazz music for other types of music bass may add some more quality to the system.

i will let you know the result once the bass is installed into the car.

p.s: i am trying to upload pictures with not much luck
Old 6th June 2017, 08:09 PM   #6
BigChewie
Rocking a new hat

Car: 2003 E46 M3 Coupe
Colour Combo: Silver / Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz07 View Post
solved the sound issue
basically i had not installed some of the cables as would not use the camera, video out etc, i removed the HU and popped all the cable and everything works as they should now.

quite happy with the dynavin so far. sound quality is definetely better even wth the stock speakers

now time to install the MB Quartz QM165s to front doors and MB Quartz ZK1-116s on the rear tray.

does anyone have this setup and did you need an additinal subwoofer? i really think speakers will suffice but let you know the outcome once they are installed

few pictures - http://imgur.com/a/nKHAB
for the parking sensor display to work you need to tap into reverse, this annoyed me as on the D99 unit, it worked automatically.

to sort this i ran an amp signal wire (had it lying around) from HU to boot and hooked it up /spliced it into the reverse light, ( iirc on the drivers side) it now works awesome.

I also am v happy with the N6, i uprated the front door woofer with gladens as the impedance matches the HK's. I need to uprate the 2 inch speaker in the tweeter enclosure, but not got round to that yet.
BigChewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2017, 08:11 PM   #7
BigChewie
Rocking a new hat

only issue i find is (may be an HK thing) that I had to go into the equalizer and lower all individual input volumes so it actually goes quiet.
Old 9th June 2017, 12:54 PM   #8
taz07
A mere Chipper

just noticed when i am connected to the phone via Bluetooth for music it kind of cuts off for a millisecond or so (like a scratched disc) not sure if this is the phone or the HU, will test with another phone soon
still no luck with the parking sensor though i took it off for 30 mins (as advised by the seller) and put it back on.
Old 9th June 2017, 02:05 PM   #9
Tomy
Wearing official underwear

Car: BMW E46 M3
Colour Combo: Silver Grey/Imola

I have an almost identical setup as yours but with an added JL amp in the rear and reverse camera. All works pretty well but as you said could do with a little more bass.

How did you get on with the under seat sub?
Tomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2017, 08:36 AM   #10
BigChewie
Rocking a new hat

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz07 View Post
just noticed when i am connected to the phone via Bluetooth for music it kind of cuts off for a millisecond or so (like a scratched disc) not sure if this is the phone or the HU, will test with another phone soon
still no luck with the parking sensor though i took it off for 30 mins (as advised by the seller) and put it back on.
cant help on the bluetooth streaming as havent used it,

with regards to parking sensor, what did you take off?? the Canbus control? the old D99 unti gave the sensor display without additional wiring, but as mentioned in previous feed you need to wire up the unit with a signal wire to tell it you when its in reverse. I was going to fir a wireless camera, but changed my mind.
An amp signal cable spliced into the reverse light worked for me.
Old 11th June 2017, 07:38 AM   #11
taz07
A mere Chipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigChewie View Post
cant help on the bluetooth streaming as havent used it,

with regards to parking sensor, what did you take off?? the Canbus control? the old D99 unti gave the sensor display without additional wiring, but as mentioned in previous feed you need to wire up the unit with a signal wire to tell it you when its in reverse. I was going to fir a wireless camera, but changed my mind.
An amp signal cable spliced into the reverse light worked for me.
I have been advised to take the entire HU off for 30 mins so it would reset itself and try again. I am a true novice when it comes to electrical stuff so no idea on how to do the wiring really..any write up on this would be much appreciated.
I am also, again due to lack of knowledge on the electric stuff, not sure how to power the Pioneer underseat sub. Should i get the power from the fusebox or the battery itself? I bought these to avoid splicing any original cable -http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251618137508 should i just pop one into the fusevox behind glovebox and feed the amp from there? I will connect earth somewhere too.
Old 11th June 2017, 09:46 AM   #12
marrow
Achieved official socks

Car: 2003 m3 vert

My MB quartz are great but they do vibrate a little on bassy tracks
marrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2017, 10:05 AM   #13
Tomy

Car: BMW E46 M3
Colour Combo: Silver Grey/Imola

Quote:
Originally Posted by marrow View Post
My MB quartz are great but they do vibrate a little on bassy tracks
They do. Irritatingly. Just need to adjust the bass to the optimum level of volume you listen to.
Tomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2017, 10:32 AM   #14
mid lid

Car: 2003 E46 M3

Bluetooth streaming on iphone is a much meatier sound compared to being plugged in on the dynavin i find.

Reverse sensor display works fine once cable is spliced, i also had to splice into the dash illumination circuit on mine.
mid lid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2017, 08:19 PM   #15
taz07
A mere Chipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mid lid View Post
Bluetooth streaming on iphone is a much meatier sound compared to being plugged in on the dynavin i find.

Reverse sensor display works fine once cable is spliced, i also had to splice into the dash illumination circuit on mine.
i have just streamed music from iphone and sound quality is a lot better than my one plus 3 android phone.
i am still lost as to which cable to splice for the rear sensor display?? i better find someone and let him do the job
Old 11th June 2017, 08:23 PM   #16
taz07
A mere Chipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomy View Post
They do. Irritatingly. Just need to adjust the bass to the optimum level of volume you listen to.
yes i have noticed that too but was thinking it might be because speakers are not sitting in boxes but anyway will connect the underseat bass and will set the mb quart bass very low to mostly get treble and mid from them and bass to be from the sub. though not sure how much bass that little thing can give but will give it a shot on the weekend
Old 11th June 2017, 09:00 PM   #17
mid lid

Car: 2003 E46 M3

drivers side in the boot, behind the lining, the bundle of wires that come from the bootlid, yellow/blue wire

Untitled by hansthebear, on Flickr

Needs connected to the reverse wire on the dynavin loom

Untitled by hansthebear, on Flickr
mid lid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2017, 09:04 PM   #18
BigChewie
Rocking a new hat

What Mid Lid said for the reverse sensors, I couldn't recall the wiring colour of the top of my head.

for the pioneer sub, I assume it wires like a normal aftermarket amp, so you will need to run a fused power cable direct from the battery, find a good earth nearby and don;t run the RCA cables next to the power cable as best possible.
Old 14th June 2017, 04:58 PM   #19
Seanjmoyle

Car: 05 Titan M3 + C250 + A1 S line

Are you fitting the sub under your seat or in the boot? If you werent too keen on running rcas and remote cable through the car to the boot you can get an automatic switch on high level rca adaptor, used one on my previous E46 vert and was great, it just taps in to the rear speaker wires.
Seanjmoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2017, 12:53 PM   #20
taz07
A mere Chipper

i was planning to put it under seat in the car. what is the automatic switch??