The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum

Go Back   The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum > M3 and M4 Talk > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Old 21st September 2015, 09:58 AM   #41
XKaLiBaR
Site Sponsor

Car: E46 M3 Manual
Colour Combo: Red/Red

I had one fitted to my car last week. Seems fine. The free play at middle is gone. I think that was designed originally like that for the noddy drivers, same as why the m3 understeers in oem form. It felt perfectly fine driving at speeds on the motorway.

I would say one thing, its a little springy. It kind likes to come to centre a lot quicker. I can't comment if i like it yet, till i take the car on track.
XKaLiBaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 21st September 2015, 10:17 AM   #42
Gibbo205
Achieved official socks

Car: 2002 BMW M3 SMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by XKaLiBaR View Post
I had one fitted to my car last week. Seems fine. The free play at middle is gone. I think that was designed originally like that for the noddy drivers, same as why the m3 understeers in oem form. It felt perfectly fine driving at speeds on the motorway.

I would say one thing, its a little springy. It kind likes to come to centre a lot quicker. I can't comment if i like it yet, till i take the car on track.

Yes noticed the same, much better on centre feel, quicker return to centre and the steering feels like it has more weight to it, a lot more positive, I really like it.

The DSC is a minor niggle because generally when I am on track or driving like a loon the DSC is off anyway, would just be nice to get the DSC working how it was, but it is minor and not end of world.
Gibbo205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2015, 11:05 AM   #43
paulclaude
Achieved official socks

Car: 2005 E46 M3 Manual 'Track' / 2004 E46 M3 SMG 'Road'
Colour Combo: Silver Grey / Titan Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo205 View Post
Yes noticed the same, much better on centre feel, quicker return to centre and the steering feels like it has more weight to it, a lot more positive, I really like it.

The DSC is a minor niggle because generally when I am on track or driving like a loon the DSC is off anyway, would just be nice to get the DSC working how it was, but it is minor and not end of world.
You can fix the behaviour of the DSC by coding the module via NCS expert. If you have an MK60, this is the 'LENKWINKELKENNLINIE_2' parameter for the steering rack type.
paulclaude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2015, 11:40 AM   #44
Gibbo205
Achieved official socks

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulclaude View Post
You can fix the behaviour of the DSC by coding the module via NCS expert. If you have an MK60, this is the 'LENKWINKELKENNLINIE_2' parameter for the steering rack type.
Mine is MK20.

I just need a guide on how I read that module to my laptop, what to try amending to and then a guide on how I re-upload it. Can you help please?
Old 21st September 2015, 04:29 PM   #45
XKaLiBaR
Site Sponsor

Car: E46 M3 Manual
Colour Combo: Red/Red

Quote:

Oh good you noticed the same thing.

I don't have any DSC lights coming up though.
XKaLiBaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2015, 04:42 PM   #46
Gibbo205
Achieved official socks

Quote:
Oh good you noticed the same thing.

I don't have any DSC lights coming up though.
No DSC lights because it is working exactly how it should, it just intervenes a little earlier and on the front axle because the car probably thinks it is about to crash.

I have being playing with NCS expert and think I have manage to change the understeer threshold settings, just no idea if I have set DSC to come in earlier or later, will find out later when I go for a drive if roads dry out.
Old 21st September 2015, 04:45 PM   #47
stevenEK9
Achieved official socks

Car: E46 M3 Clubsport

Quote:
The free play at middle is gone. I think that was designed originally like that for the noddy drivers
BMW specifically designed the rack with a slight dead spot for stability at speeds of 100+

so quite the opposite of noddy drivers
stevenEK9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2015, 05:18 PM   #48
kevM3
Achieved official socks

Car: 2009 Monte Carlo M3 & a 2009 123d M sport coupe
Colour Combo: Monte Carlo blue ,black leather

and any noddy can do 100+ so quite the opposite!
kevM3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2015, 05:36 PM   #49
Markg240
Rocking a new hat

Car: 2003 BMW M3
Colour Combo: Carbon black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M View Post
Fitted the purple tag rack on mine a few days ago, its not a night and day difference but certainly worth it for the price of the rack and some fluid.
Normally the alignement wouldn't need touched either of you can keep your existing track rods.
Where do you buy them then?? Can you buy them new? I'm after one for mine..
Markg240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2015, 05:53 PM   #50
zeta4
Achieved official socks

Car: 2003 E46 M3, E90 330d
Colour Combo: Silver Grey/Black

Do you have to tell the insurance about these kind of mods ? I remember the hassle
I had when I told the insurance about the under chassis cross brace I fitted to my
E36 M3. They didnt seem to understand what it was for. I dont want to go through
that again. Anyway Ive got one ready to go on just need to order some new
track rods. Ive had it a while and this thread has encouraged me to finally fit it.
zeta4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2015, 06:36 PM   #51
AC427
Achieved official socks

Car: E46 M3 Convertible
Colour Combo: Estoril / Champagne

Quote:
Steering rack ratio information as follows:
E46 M3 = 15.4
E46 M3 CS / CSL = 14.5
Purple Rack = 13.7

In short lock to lock on regular M3 rack is around 3.5 full rotations, with the purple rack its 3.
I am pretty sure it is only 3 turns lock to lock for the CSL rack also. Have a count on your setup. Is it 3 or 2 and a bit ?

For DSC, Use NCS Expert to read your DSC unit and then post the result in the coding section.
AC427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2015, 06:57 PM   #52
chainy75
Achieved official socks

Car: BMW E46 M3
Colour Combo: Carbon Black/Imola Red

I just coded the CSL DSC setting back in for my purple tag rack ready for when the car is back on the road this weekend. (after previously coding it out when I first activated M-Track) and had the standard rack.

What DSC setting is everyone using when running a BBK front and rear. Did you leave the setting for the CSL or the standard m3?
chainy75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2015, 07:37 PM   #53
Gibbo205
Achieved official socks

Hi there

OK I've figured out how code my DSC using NCS expert.

I've got MK20 DSC and I think I may have discovered how to make it less interfering.

So I read my DSC unit and the three values which stand out were:
UNTERSTEUERN_MUE_0 = wert_02
UNTERSTEUERN_MUE_1 = wert_02
UNTERSTEUERSCHWELLE = wert_03

I changed them to the opposite settings, which are
UNTERSTEUERN_MUE_0 = wert_03
UNTERSTEUERN_MUE_1 = wert_03
UNTERSTEUERSCHWELLE = wert_01

So I have no idea what these values are actually changing and if I went with the best combination or not......

But the drive home albeit in the wet but the car had no DSC interaction for understeer on the front axle like before so changing these settings has maybe had the desired effect but I need to test in the dry to be sure but it seems much better. On the rear axle DSC is operating as before the rack change so no issues there.

Maybe others can have a play who have MK20 and find DSC to sensitive or nannying to see if altering these settings or others in the MK20 help dial it out.

All MK20 setting available are in the below image:

Once is dry I can confirm but this does seem to have helped, seems to have almost shut off DSC when understeer occurs now or rapid direction changes on front axle.
Old 21st September 2015, 08:54 PM   #54
Gibbo205
Achieved official socks

Just being talking to a buddy who used to code BMW's and he informs me BMW is logical and lower numbers will mean less so he says use the lower variables available.

That means on the MK20 you only need to change this line to:

And leave the other two UNTERSTEUERN = wert_02

This will reduce DSC intervention the most on front axle, seems to work.

Does anyone know what these settings mean/do:
MOTOR_ART_ASC wert_01 or wert_02 available
GRADIENT_MM_ZUGABE (gradual millimeter increase) wert_04 or wert_03 available

I might just try lowest available values for all as in theory that will set DSC to lowest setting so less nannying.
Old 22nd September 2015, 08:01 AM   #55
paulclaude
Achieved official socks

Quote:
Just being talking to a buddy who used to code BMW's and he informs me BMW is logical and lower numbers will mean less so he says use the lower variables available.

That means on the MK20 you only need to change this line to:

And leave the other two UNTERSTEUERN = wert_02

This will reduce DSC intervention the most on front axle, seems to work.

Does anyone know what these settings mean/do:

I might just try lowest available values for all as in theory that will set DSC to lowest setting so less nannying.
Gibbo,

Didn't manage to get time last night to reply again, but glad to hear you have had success yourself. Sometimes the best way is to find out yourself!

You've done exactly what I was getting at, and that's to experiment with the values. Unfortunately not all the parameter information is available to us, so sometimes it just has to be trial and error. The beauty with NCS parameter coding, is you can make unlimited changes until you get it where you want to be.

Have you tried taking your FSW_PSW file into NCS dummy, it might show some more available options for the MK20?
Old 22nd September 2015, 08:06 AM   #56
paulclaude
Achieved official socks

Quote:
MOTOR_ART_ASC is for 'engine type' according to NCS dummy, so I would probably leave that one given you already have the S54. Not sure about Gradient_MM_Zugabe.

Send me a copy of your FSW_PSW from the MK20 if you like and i'll see if I can decipher anything else for you.
Old 22nd September 2015, 11:24 AM   #57
Gibbo205
Achieved official socks

Quote:
MOTOR_ART_ASC is for 'engine type' according to NCS dummy, so I would probably leave that one given you already have the S54. Not sure about Gradient_MM_Zugabe.

Send me a copy of your FSW_PSW from the MK20 if you like and i'll see if I can decipher anything else for you.
Shall do later m8, so with NCS dummy, how does that work, not come across that one?

I assume I can just pretend to code without being connected to the car?
Old 22nd September 2015, 11:45 AM   #58
paulclaude
Achieved official socks

It basically provides graphical information for different modules, allowing you to load your FSW_PSW trace file, showing description and options for each parameter.

You might already have it, if not you can download it here; http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...-of-NCS-Expert
Old 22nd September 2015, 05:16 PM   #59
Gibbo205
Achieved official socks

Quote:
It basically provides graphical information for different modules, allowing you to load your FSW_PSW trace file, showing description and options for each parameter.

You might already have it, if not you can download it here; http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...-of-NCS-Expert

I just tried to re-flash the MAN file with further amended settings and now when I read of the file, the TRC version seems to be reading what the original defaults were. I assume when I read it then the read should show the new settings I flashed too or will that always show the default settings?

When I code the MAN file it prompts no errors just does it, takes a few seconds and say complete, so is it actually working or not?

I'd have thought if I read of the DSC module, the TRC file should show the new values what I have in the MAN file surely?
Old 22nd September 2015, 07:33 PM   #60
Gibbo205
Achieved official socks

Quote:

Sorted it, I was forgetting to load correct profile in NCS expert.

So I have flashed my DSC with the following settings:
BREMSLICHTSCHALTER
aktiv
REIFENTOL_ABGLEICH_ASC
aktiv
REIFENTOLERANZABGLEICH
aktiv
PRE_VLABS
aktiv
EBV_LAMPE
aktiv
LOGIK_HA_SPERRE
aktiv
MOTOR_ART_ASC
wert_01
DV_OFFSET
line0
EINSPURMODELLPARAMETER
typ_6
DRUCKMODELLPARAMETER
typ_4
DRUCKMODELL_HINTERACHSE
typ_1
DRUCKMODELL_VORDERACHSE
typ_2
REIFENDRUCKWARNSYSTEM
aktiv
SEQ_M_GETRIEBE
aktiv
UEBERSTEUERN_MUE_0
wert_05
UEBERSTEUERN_MUE_1
wert_04
UNTERSTEUERN_MUE_0
wert_02
UNTERSTEUERN_MUE_1
wert_02
GRADIENT_MM_ZUGABE
wert_03
DELTA_PSI_BETA_LIMIT_KORR
wert_01
UNTERSTEUERSCHWELLE
wert_01
GETRIEBE
handschaltung

Checked with NCS dummy as you suggested as those were the lowest values available. The only one which has a few options is DV_OFFSET, any ideas on this?

For those with older MK20 DSC, using these settings has reduced DSC interaction on the front axle for sure, resulting in my quicker rack now not triggering the ABS on the front axle.

So if anyone is find there MK20 DSC too sensitive especially on the front axle try the above settings, they seem to work quite well.

Also this one:
GRADIENT_MM_ZUGABE
wert_03

No idea what it does, but default is wert_04, so I changed it to the other available option which I now have as a lower value means DSC will interfere less so lower is better logic would assume on any option where you can lower the value.