The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum

Go Back   The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum > M3 and M4 Talk > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Old 10th September 2015, 08:48 PM   #21
Joe M
Rocking a new hat

Car: 2003 M3 SMG
Colour Combo: Titan Silver / Black

The info I found says 15.4 (stock) to a 14.5 (csl), 13.7 (purple)
Joe M is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11th September 2015, 04:32 AM   #22
Ellerslie
Achieved official socks

Car: 2005 E46 M3 Manual Coupè
Colour Combo: Silver / Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M View Post
The info I found says 15.4 (stock) to a 14.5 (csl), 13.7 (purple)
So the purple is the quickest you can get? Or is there a quicker one?

Thanks for the info.
Ellerslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2015, 05:44 AM   #23
chainy75
Achieved official socks

Car: BMW E46 M3
Colour Combo: Carbon Black/Imola Red

Standard E46: 15.4:1
E46 M3: 14.5:1
E46 330 ZHP (US equivalent of Clubsport so maybe has the same?): 13.7:1
Z3 1.9 or 2.2: 13.7:1
Z4M Roadster: 13.7:1
Z4M Coupe: 12.8:1
chainy75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2015, 06:03 AM   #24
Ellerslie
Achieved official socks

Car: 2005 E46 M3 Manual Coupè
Colour Combo: Silver / Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by chainy75 View Post
Standard E46: 15.4:1
E46 M3: 14.5:1
E46 330 ZHP (US equivalent of Clubsport so maybe has the same?): 13.7:1
Z3 1.9 or 2.2: 13.7:1
Z4M Roadster: 13.7:1
Z4M Coupe: 12.8:1
Even better. Thanks.
Ellerslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2015, 01:12 PM   #25
Gibbo205
Achieved official socks

Car: 2002 BMW M3 SMG

Hi there

Got a purple rack to go in mine.

Anyway to check the rack is fine (no leaks or other issues) before installing?

I assume I can just remove my current (new) track rods from current rack and put on the new one. Then fit it all up, fill up the steering power fluid bottle with fresh fluid, start car up and turn lock to lock to get air out the system and top up bottle as required?

Lastly as I cannot remember, what is best steering fluid for our cars?
Gibbo205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2015, 01:22 PM   #26
chainy75
Achieved official socks

ATF Dexron III

And yes to:

I assume I can just remove my current (new) track rods from current rack and put on the new one. Then fit it all up, fill up the steering power fluid bottle with fresh fluid, start car up and turn lock to lock to get air out the system and top up bottle as required?
Old 11th September 2015, 01:37 PM   #27
Joe M
Rocking a new hat

Yeah, undo the track rods underneath the boots and swap. Dont worry about destroying the metal clips, cable ties are perfectly fine for putting in there place.
I tested mine before putting the car fully back together, but can't see how you would do it before disturbing the car.
Old 13th September 2015, 12:29 PM   #28
Gibbo205
Achieved official socks

My purple rack came with track rod ends fitted are the track rods inner and outer same as those already on my car?

If so can I leave the inner ends that came on the purple rack on and just fit my outers as they are brand new?
Old 13th September 2015, 01:05 PM   #29
chainy75
Achieved official socks

They're different. You will need to swap them over.
Old 13th September 2015, 01:07 PM   #30
Joe M
Rocking a new hat

Yep, undo from the inner track rods ends and use existing, shouldn't need to touch your alignement then either.
Old 19th September 2015, 08:41 PM   #31
Gibbo205
Achieved official socks

Hi there

Fitted purple rack today, pretty straight forward. Fitted it also with brand new lemforder inner and outer track rod ends. Spun the track rod ends of the old rack counting how many full spins and installed the new ones using same amount of spins. Theory being alignment should not be far off.

Drove the car tonight, feels tighter for sure though steering wheel ain't perfectly straight or my alignment theory has not quite worked out. Alignment will solve this though or just remove steering wheel and put back on.

But I noticed my DSC light kicking in for seemingly no apparent reason, any ideas, do I need to reset a sensor?
Old 19th September 2015, 08:52 PM   #32
chainy75
Achieved official socks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo205 View Post
Hi there

Fitted purple rack today, pretty straight forward. Fitted it also with brand new lemforder inner and outer track rod ends. Spun the track rod ends of the old rack counting how many full spins and installed the new ones using same amount of spins. Theory being alignment should not be far off.

Drove the car tonight, feels tighter for sure though steering wheel ain't perfectly straight or my alignment theory has not quite worked out. Alignment will solve this though or just remove steering wheel and put back on.

But I noticed my DSC light kicking in for seemingly no apparent reason, any ideas, do I need to reset a sensor?
I have not read that anyone else has had to reset anything. The only thing that comes to mind is I think I remember you saying you had the old DSC module and not the mk60?
Old 19th September 2015, 09:55 PM   #33
Gibbo205
Achieved official socks

Quote:
Originally Posted by chainy75 View Post
I have not read that anyone else has had to reset anything. The only thing that comes to mind is I think I remember you saying you had the old DSC module and not the mk60?
My car is a 2002, so no MK60
Old 20th September 2015, 07:54 PM   #34
Gibbo205
Achieved official socks

Hi there

Those who know BMW's will know the M3 CSL and CS had quicker steering racks, so this weekend I fitted an even faster rack, nicknamed the purple rack as is a popular modification amongst those tracking and drifting their BMW's. Steering rack ratio information as follows:
E46 M3 = 15.4
E46 M3 CS / CSL = 14.5
Purple Rack = 13.7

In short lock to lock on regular M3 rack is around 3.5 full rotations, with the purple rack its 3.

As I had removed the front subframe and steering rack for engine rebuild, doing this job was nothing new and very easy for me.

Picture of purple rack

Lets get started!

Still looking nice and clean underneath since engine rebuild and no fluid leaks at all, a job done well.

Also the view from underneath the M3 is pretty damn awesome to be honest.

New rack installed

Then just a simple case of put everything back together. A couple of tips, remove your old track rod ends from your old rack and count how many spins they are to take off, so then when you install the new rack make sure the new track rod ends are spun on the same amount of times, this should prevent your alignment toe settings being miles out. Also before starting up, make sure you remove air intake tubing so you can access the PS reservoir and make sure you brim it. Start the engine and turn the steering lock to lock, it might sound a bit nasty at first, then turn off and top up the reservoir again. Remember to use ATF Dextron III and expect to use 0.5-1.0l for this. Put back together, make sure everything is tight and wheels torqued up, go for a drive.

Slicks delivered

A set of Dunlop medium slicks £130 delivered for all 4 and should last 2-3 track days on the basis my alignment is suitable for them. These being the latest and same dunlops which the BTCC boys use and other M3 guys using them state huge grip but also very progressive. Once the cage is installed and I've got a spare set of wheels these shall be getting tested out, no doubt next Summer.

Conclusion

So with the new rack installed the initial impressions are good, on centre feel is greatly improved and the car is far more keen to turn. General feedback/feel and weighting also seem improved. I did also install brand new inner and outer trackrod ends onto my purple rack, so in essence it is all brand new, total cost of parts including rack £300 and fitted by myself so no labour.

So yes I love it, the car feels more connected, more go-kart like and even more adjustable on throttle and steering with great feedback.

The only downside is DSC, it will intervene much earlier with this rack, I checked my alignment and at first it was a little out, 5 minutes toe in on one side and 1 minute toe in the other side. Set both sides to just 2 minutes toe in which was what the car was previously set at which helped, but DSC intervenes earlier for sure and on the front brakes. For those who drive with DSC off is not an issue, but those who enjoy driving fast with DSC on for safety net then I am afraid this modification is not for you as the DSC will drive you crazy. I have even tried resetting the steering angle sensor but has made no improvement.
It makes sense though because the car is seeing less steering angle but in reality is steering more meaning you have more angle but the car is thinking the car is sliding due to lack of steering angle and as such intervening to early.

I have heard it is possible to re-calibrate the DSC to the new faster rack, but am not sure how to do this or if it is possible on the older MK20 DSC?

But as I am happy to drive without DSC for me it is a great modification.
Old 20th September 2015, 08:07 PM   #35
kevM3
Achieved official socks

Car: 2009 Monte Carlo M3 & a 2009 123d M sport coupe
Colour Combo: Monte Carlo blue ,black leather

it sure is a great mod ,didnt have an issue with DSC on mine , my m3s a nov 2002
kevM3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2015, 09:56 PM   #36
Gibbo205
Achieved official socks

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevM3 View Post
it sure is a great mod ,didnt have an issue with DSC on mine , my m3s a nov 2002
You got the newer MK60 DSC?
Old 20th September 2015, 10:09 PM   #37
Cuttah
Achieved official socks

Car: 1997 Estoril Blue / Silver Grey leather OEM E36 Evo Coupe

My mates got an early 02 and no ABS issues with a purple tag rack - same for a couple of others he knows - so what you say is not definitive fact.

If the ABS is cutting in there is something wrong it, or you have done something wrong.
Cuttah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2015, 10:13 PM   #38
stevenEK9
Achieved official socks

Car: E46 M3 Clubsport

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC427 View Post
Is that slower or faster than a Csl rack?
unfortunately Gibbo's information is incorrect, the purple tag is slower

purple tag is 50mm rack travel per revolution of the steering wheel and 3 turns LTL

csl is 54mm and 2.7 turns LTL

standard m3 is 45mm and 3.2 turns FYI

Last edited by stevenEK9; 20th September 2015 at 10:16 PM.
stevenEK9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2015, 10:52 PM   #39
Gibbo205
Achieved official socks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttah View Post
My mates got an early 02 and no ABS issues with a purple tag rack - same for a couple of others he knows - so what you say is not definitive fact.

If the ABS is cutting in there is something wrong it, or you have done something wrong.
Well before if I drove fast and hard with DSC on the only intervention was on the rear or cutting power and had to push real hard.

Whereas now when pushing hard it is intervening more for sure can even feel it applying front brakes.

Think I'm right with what I said the car now takes less steering angle to turn due to quicker rack so the DSC is seeing the car turn more than what the steering angle sensor suggest so thinks it's sliding and intervenes earlier.

Can't see how I did anything wrong, had the old rack off and on with no issues, did nothing different this time just different rack.
Old 21st September 2015, 05:55 AM   #40
chainy75
Achieved official socks

I have had my purple tag rack fitted for months now but the car has been off of the road while I waited for the new evolve airbox to arrive (sold the GSR on). Should be back on the road this weekend with any luck. Will let you know how I get on. I coded out the csl rack when I activated M-Track. Might have to recode it back in again now.