The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum

Go Back   The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum > Forum Sponsors and Advertisers > Secure My Car

Old 29th July 2018, 07:41 AM   #1
Ben H
A mere Chipper

Car: E92 M3 CP DCT
Colour Combo: Frozen Black / Black
Default Attempted E92 Theft, 29JUL2018, 0520BST

Attempted theft of my E92 M3 early hours of this morning. Received text message from the car as I wasn’t connected to Internet (currently out in Afghanistan).

Thieves were disturbed by alarm, after somehow removing the front window.

Glad to know it’s got the Pandora alarm on it though, as even if they’d managed to access the OBD they wouldn’t have gone anywhere in it. Still glad I chose the alarm over a bollard.

CCTV footage, no faces, look like they knew what they were doing aiming for the OBD port and keeping to the A Pillar.

Link if video doesn’t work: https://youtu.be/YQc4gBnIXag

Last edited by Ben H; 29th July 2018 at 07:42 AM. Reason: Extra link for video
Ben H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2018, 07:48 AM   #2
M3MSR
Wearing official underwear

Car: BMW E92 M3
Colour Combo: Siverstone/Black

What a loser for kicking the front end as they walked off cause they were outsmarted. Turns out the alarm was a good investment. Glad you car is ok.
These people are the scum of society
M3MSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2018, 07:53 AM   #3
Jimboe92M3
On the path

Car: 2008 M3 DCT
Colour Combo: Alpine white/black rims,mirrors,grills/black leather/carbon trim

Absolute scum!!! Good choice with the alarm though. It's just a shame it can't dish out 50,000 volts at the same time as making a noise.
Jimboe92M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2018, 07:56 AM   #4
E46CoupeM3
Achieved official socks

Car: 2001 BMW M3
Colour Combo: Carbon Black

It's a shame the alarms not allowed to deploy an appropriate airbag and take their heads off

Blood washes of leather right?
E46CoupeM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2018, 09:43 AM   #5
Ben H
A mere Chipper

50,000 volts would have been a nice addition, I agree. Or something more aggressive.

Definitely glad I had the alarrm, as if it had been the factory BMW job I’m convinced the car would’ve been gone before anyone in the house knew anything about it. Pain in the arse trying to sort a window replacement, and £190 Id rather spend elsewhere, but much rather that than have to claim for the vehicle being pinched. That’s what the insurance is for, but it shouldn’t come to that in this day and age...working hard to buy something you want only to have to pay to protect it from others that want your stuff.

Police Scene of Crime Officer won’t go to the house as “it’s raining”. Good job it hardly ever rains in the U.K...presumably a PCSO will follow up at some point.
Old 30th July 2018, 12:04 PM   #6
Londongal7
Wearing official underwear

Car: E92 M3
Colour Combo: Ruby Black

IS the car safe now?
Londongal7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2018, 12:05 PM   #7
SazzyB
Achieved official socks

Car: .

Total scum!
SazzyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2018, 09:01 AM   #8
Raif
Achieved official socks

Car: E92 M3, 5 series daily, bikes

What scum. Thanks for sharing it. My pal had the same but he has re located his OBD port so after popping the window and seeing there iss no port they went.

Whats does your Pandora alarm do out of interest?

EDIT: Just found the website cool bit of kit.

P.S. seeing him kick the bumper like that made me livid

Last edited by Raif; 1st August 2018 at 09:12 AM.
Raif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2018, 04:14 AM   #9
Ben H
A mere Chipper

Yes, the car is safe - local BMW took it into their secure facility while I get the window replacement.

Think they’d have had a surprise if they’d managed to plug anything into the OBD port on mine too - immobilised as standard with the Pandora alarm. Glad I paid for it, especially as I can monitor the car remotely whenever I’m away from home (e.g. while it’s in BMW’s care). Having read up on how thieves try to nick these cars, I figured it was a toss up between immobilising it or relocating it.

Kicking the bumper out of frustration no doubt, but petulant nonetheless. Fortunately BMW are looking after it so I don’t need to worry about them returning before the window is replaced and while I’m overseas.
Old 2nd August 2018, 05:32 AM   #10
SazzyB
Achieved official socks

Car: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben H View Post
Yes, the car is safe - local BMW took it into their secure facility while I get the window replacement.

Think they’d have had a surprise if they’d managed to plug anything into the OBD port on mine too - immobilised as standard with the Pandora alarm. Glad I paid for it, especially as I can monitor the car remotely whenever I’m away from home (e.g. while it’s in BMW’s care). Having read up on how thieves try to nick these cars, I figured it was a toss up between immobilising it or relocating it.

Kicking the bumper out of frustration no doubt, but petulant nonetheless. Fortunately BMW are looking after it so I don’t need to worry about them returning before the window is replaced and while I’m overseas.
Glad to hear bud
SazzyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2018, 03:16 PM   #11
SecureMyCar
Site Sponsor

Car: BMW E92 M3 2011 DCT, X5 Msport, 335D 2016
Colour Combo: Alpine White/Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben H View Post
Attempted theft of my E92 M3 early hours of this morning. Received text message from the car as I wasn’t connected to Internet (currently out in Afghanistan).

Thieves were disturbed by alarm, after somehow removing the front window.

Glad to know it’s got the Pandora alarm on it though, as even if they’d managed to access the OBD they wouldn’t have gone anywhere in it. Still glad I chose the alarm over a bollard.

CCTV footage, no faces, look like they knew what they were doing aiming for the OBD port and keeping to the A Pillar.

Link if video doesn’t work: https://youtu.be/YQc4gBnIXag

Awful to see this but also glad to see that the Pandora is doing its job. I like the idea of the air bag blowing their heads off when kicking the car. I will pass this suggestion on to the manufactures ....what Idiots!!!
SecureMyCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2018, 03:24 PM   #12
delboylee
Achieved official socks

Car: E92 M3 Alpine Edition

That's horrible to see, in daylight too - so brazen of them. Glad they didn't take the car but you have to foot the bill for the window

Police won't do much I reckon, sad times.
delboylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2018, 12:01 PM   #13
Jimbo25
Achieved official socks

Car: E46
Colour Combo: Laguna Seca Blue / Black

If you relocated the OBD port elsewhere, could leave a dummy plug in place and just leave 12v lives and grounds dotted about it, might just **** their equipment up and prevent others being stolen?

Can't watch the vid OP but sounds like the protection was worth the money, shame you have to go to such lengths.
Jimbo25 is offline   Reply With Quote