The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum

Go Back   The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum > M3 and M4 Talk > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Old 17th April 2018, 02:00 PM   #1
turboman
Rocking a new hat

Car: M3 dct saloon
Default Garaging the M3 and "dehumidifying"

My M3 is rust free at present having been kept garaged overnight constantly for at least the last 5 years to my knowledge.

Now I'd like to keep it rush free and wonder if there is anything I can do to the garage to ensure rust doesn't start. The car is used around once or twice weekly and given a good run..

Is there any real world advantage of getting a dehumidifier in there?

Should I keep the garage windows closed....to stop moisture entering...I've kept lots of lovely cars in this garage but none but the M3 has me asking such a question !!
turboman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 17th April 2018, 02:18 PM   #2
Compaqnx
Achieved official socks

Car: BMW E46 M3 & BMW E85 Z4
Colour Combo: Carbon Black/Black - Jet Black/Red

I'm currently dehumidifying mine due to leaving it outside and a leaking sunroof. For what it's worth, I'd it would be worth investing in a dehumidifier.

Pretty certain the likes of Jay Leno and Chris Evans store their cars in a climate controlled environment.
Compaqnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2018, 02:42 PM   #3
Tris
Achieved official socks

Car: E46 M3 and an e36 M3 Evo track car

My 21 year old e36 M3 lives in a garage with a dehumidifyer on all winter.

I don't have one spot of rust on that car so yes I would recomend it.
Tris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2018, 06:09 PM   #4
Pelt
On the path

Car: 2006 BMW M3 Convertible
Colour Combo: Carbon Black/ Red

Not sure where I saw it but somebody out there does a " Ventilated tent " which fits in a regular garage. Sure a google search will come up with the answer.
Pelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2018, 06:25 PM   #5
AMD
Wearing official underwear

Car: 2013 M3 Convertible
Colour Combo: Silverstone II / Black

You need to seal the garage properly first, or otherwise it would be running a lot of the time. To cope with low temperatures you need a dessicant dehuminifier, I got one of these recently, but it seems to have gone up 30 now!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008BZVC..._t1_B00I5NEZ78

Works in the garage and you get a pipe so you dont have to keep emptying it. The wife also steals it for helping to dry clothes indoors!

Its a good investment for preserving a car

Sorry it was this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/EcoAir-DD12...=ecoair+simple

Last edited by AMD; 17th April 2018 at 06:28 PM. Reason: Correction to link
AMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2018, 07:30 AM   #6
JamesHirst
Achieved official socks

Car: VW Boring, Mk2 Golf G60

for a dehumidifier recommendations we have one of these at home and im sure for garage use would be perfect

https://www.screwfix.com/p/wdh-316db...FYGsUQodh4MEcw
JamesHirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2018, 01:10 PM   #7
j44myc
A mere Chipper

Car: E46 M3 / 996T
Colour Combo: Silver Grey / Black

My garage is old and far from sealed so I run an outdoor carcoon inside, it also comes with a built in battery conditioner. Great bit of kit

I occasionally stick the dehumidifier on but it costs a bloody fortune to run!
j44myc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2018, 03:17 PM   #8
McMPower
On the path

Car: Posts 18,988
Colour Combo: Blu

Quote:
Originally Posted by j44myc View Post
My garage is old and far from sealed so I run an outdoor carcoon inside, it also comes with a built in battery conditioner. Great bit of kit

I occasionally stick the dehumidifier on but it costs a bloody fortune to run!
I see you are in Bournemouth - does the salt in the air impact anything?
McMPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2018, 03:28 PM   #9
fordfesta
Achieved official socks

Car: 2004 E46 M3 Vert, E46 330i M Sport Tourer
Colour Combo: Silver Grey/Black&Grey

How essential are dehumidifiers? Only my fathers E36 M3 has been garaged for the last 11 years and for most of that time in a damp leaky garage and it hasnt got a spot of rust on the car anywhere.
I honestly thought the dampness would have got to it but its been perfectly fine. I think as long as the garage is well ventilated it will be fine.
fordfesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2018, 09:19 AM   #10
Rob043
Achieved official socks

Car: E46 M3
Colour Combo: Carbon Black/Imola Red

I think this depends a lot on local environment. There are probably drier places to the south of the UK, where I am in South Scotland, I use a dehumidifier, desiccant type.

I have use of an old garage, concrete floor, brick, block and sandstone walls, timber roof with metal sheet over. Before improving it the floor could be wet with condensation. We often in winter get cold days followed by warmer air coming in and this creates a lot of condensate. Bad for rust, though maybe not terrible if temperature is low.

I could see discs corroded still in the garage.

I tried using a floor fan to circulate air in winter, it wasn't enough to remove condensation. Tried a carcoon (tent) and that too was out gunned by the Scottish coastal climate. Corrosion appeared on the frame poles and discs could corrode.

Dehumidifier added, along with insulation to the roof and carpet to the floor- it is lovely now.

Seal up any air vents or gaps if you use one, you want to seal in your bubble of dry air to reduce running costs.

I got a cheap temperature and humidity digital display from ebay, that'll let you see what your dealing with. Here it is often beyond 90%, or certainly 80%. Keeping it below 70% makes a huge difference. My dehumidifier is aiming for 60% as that is its lowest setting, and the door isn't that air tight, so the cost would likely be bigger for a lower setting.
Rob043 is offline   Reply With Quote