The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum

Go Back   The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum > M3 and M4 Talk > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Old 18th April 2018, 01:33 PM   #21
TouringRob
Achieved official socks

Car: M3 Touring

Quote:
It's a good job I said possibly . Agreed with quite alot of that.

But I've bought cars with new speakers and them still sounding crap in the past. A decent HU etc. always made a pleasant difference, the level at which they clip etc. and time alignment works wonders. OK, the latter is a massive cheat to get to your goal, but so what?
Haha yes. Its worth pointing out as on paper the Parror looks good.

I think in general the whole system has to match up, poor amp and good speakers is always going to be a looser. The points you make about install are very very valid. A guy I work with has a 30K hifi at home, he later told me that the room it sits in cost 200K to build, design and insulate, the system sounds unbelievable. I've never experienced so much bass but with utterly clear vocals - magic. He told me it sounded really crap in the original room. So install 100% wins.

Nothing wrong with manipulating timings etc or further post processing. It is a bit of a cheat and from my point of view (home audio background rather than car audio) any manipulation which changes the original recording in any way does not represent faithful playback. The goal in most cases is to replay the original recording as the artist intended it to be heard so to speak.... bit airy fairy but there you go.

But in reality your just going to turn the knobs until it sounds good to your ears which is A-OK too

I don't think the OP will be disappointed by a set of good speakers and a good quality head unit.

Quote:
Do you have some stuff on what you've designed? Sounds intriguing. You can PM it to save yet another hijack!
PM on the way

Last edited by TouringRob; 18th April 2018 at 01:38 PM.
TouringRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 18th April 2018, 02:52 PM   #22
7DT
Achieved official socks

Car: 2002 BMW M3
Colour Combo: Carbon Black / Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringRob View Post
I met 7DT recently, and although I didn't get to hear his Xtrons unit as his battery was out it looked really smart as did the rest of the system. However he really did not rate the Parrot head unit.

For me, a 12 year old speaker is going to be well past it. The speakers have always made the biggest single difference in any install I've done as the OEM's have always been cheap and/or fecked.

I've designed a number of amplifiers for various projects and ultimately in any situation (home of car audio) as long as the amplifier is low noise and has an output capable of driving your chosen impedance speakers it is the speakers and their placement/install which have the greatest impact.

To muddy the water, many headunits/amps use various kinds of processing to manipulate sound, I suspect this is what people really hear when switching between different head units.

One final point regarding rear speakers - I think OEM rears are fine at low levels, the only time they will really make a big difference to you is when they distort (earlier than your nice new fronts). So if like me you potter with normal volumes of music I doubt they would impact upon you.
Until I've sold my old one, the parrot asteroid smart is the best headunit ever made

Seriously though, i've no doubt it's built to last, and is welll made, but I just did not get on with it.

I'm way more impressed with the xtrons unit if I am honest, but that might be a lot to do with it being hackable, and it having physical controls and a DVD/CD player...

Shame I was having battery gremlins when you popped round, I do like showing off the sound system as I am very happy with it!
7DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2018, 04:14 PM   #23
Jimbo25
Achieved official socks

Car: E46
Colour Combo: Laguna Seca Blue / Black

Quick question if I may chaps, I put 2 way speakers in my rear shelf last year, because I had a voucher when I bought a fridge so they were free. Anyway, they sound far better than the ones up front which are components. Overall the sound could be better when sat up front.

Would there be a disadvantage to me swapping them over, I realise I'd lose some of the high frequencies from the rear that way - would a set of 2 way speakers and the component tweeters in the front door be complete overkill?

The 2 ways were far cheaper, so was thinking it would be nice to put the expensive ones up close in the front, but guess they wouldn't play nice with a separate tweeter? Could you run a component off the low side of a component filter?
Jimbo25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2018, 10:28 AM   #24
TouringRob
Achieved official socks

I haven't upgraded speakers in the E46 yet, however my jag had separate cross overs for the individual door/pillar speakers. If this is the case for the E46 it would mean that you could fit your 2ways to the front, but the speaker tweater would do very little as the higher frequency audio has already been filtered before it gets to the speaker.

Most two way speakers just have a very crude capacitor type cross over soldered to their terminals, the better quality component sets you can buy will often come with individual external cross overs - you could fit some of these and replace your separate tweeter at the same time?

Can anyone suggest some good quality modern speakers for the fronts? I am keen to replace mine at some point as I think my cone has failed on one side and sounds horrid. A number of years ago I used to love the infinity kappa and reference range but I'm sure things have moved on/changed a lot in the 10 years since I last fitted speakers to a car.
Old 19th April 2018, 10:33 AM   #25
Caveman
Achieved official socks

Car: 2002 M3 Convertible, 1995 993 C4 & 2010 530D
Colour Combo: Carbon Black/ Black / Black

Rainbow or MB quarts for ease of installation.

I love the Infinity Kappas - I have those all round in my 993.
Caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2018, 10:37 AM   #26
TouringRob
Achieved official socks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveman View Post
Rainbow or MB quarts for ease of installation.

I love the Infinity Kappas - I have those all round in my 993.
Cheers David, what makes the Rainbow/MB quarts easy to fit? do they come with a specific speaker frame?

I would be keen to fit kappas again if possible just due to such great past experiences with them.
Old 19th April 2018, 11:08 AM   #27
Caveman
Achieved official socks

Hi Rob,

From personal experience - Rainbows have the three rather than normal four prongs to fit on the main speaker. The tweeter uses a bit of a rubbish fitting and sits behind the OEM tweater hole when it would make sense to place it behind the mid speaker. I bought some M3 blanks and will address this at some point.

The MB Quarts have the same three prong; I cannot speak to the tweeter.

I could not be bothered to mod the Infinity Kappas or other so went with the Rainbows and they sound great to my cloth ears.
Old 30th April 2018, 09:49 AM   #28
Alex5000
Wearing official robes

Car: 2005 BMW M3
Colour Combo: Carbon Black / Kiwi

After a bit of a wait, the company I ordered the Rainbows from have told me they are out of stock and have been discontinued. (I suspected as much)

They've offered me some JL Audio C2-650 components for the same price and tells me they are a direct fit like the Rainbows, can anyone confirm?
Alex5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2018, 09:56 AM   #29
M3Chas
Achieved official socks

Car: 2003 BMW M3
Colour Combo: Mystic Blue/Grey

I can't comment but you can't go wrong with JL Audio .. If they are saying they are a direct fit I'd give them a go, especially if you can refund them.

I'll ask a mate of mine; he installs these day in and day out.

Jimbo, I'd always have the better speakers up front .
M3Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2018, 11:26 AM   #30
7DT
Achieved official socks

Car: 2002 BMW M3
Colour Combo: Carbon Black / Black

I just put the Bav Sound ones in at the weekend. They sound stellar. If you can hunt down some of those, I would, direct fit too (although I put them in the rear, and needed to remove the baskets as drivers were too big )

I actually kind of wish i had them in the front now, or a full set all round...
7DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2018, 12:16 PM   #31
Alex5000
Wearing official robes

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Chas View Post
I can't comment but you can't go wrong with JL Audio .. If they are saying they are a direct fit I'd give them a go, especially if you can refund them.

I'll ask a mate of mine; he installs these day in and day out.

Jimbo, I'd always have the better speakers up front .
Thanks, would be good to know what your mate says. I was told they would send me adapters as well. The crossovers must fit somewhere too?
Old 30th April 2018, 12:52 PM   #32
Caveman
Achieved official socks

Alex - the pictures if you do a google search show four holes in the rim where we have three tabs so not entirely sure about direct fit?
Old 30th April 2018, 12:59 PM   #33
Alex5000
Wearing official robes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveman View Post
Alex - the pictures if you do a google search show four holes in the rim where we have three tabs so not entirely sure about direct fit?
Supposedly they come with a few different adapters. A description taken from one site:

'The 6.5-inch (165 mm) format is a direct fit in many vehicles. Multiple mounting patterns are provided on the woofer frame for easy installation into most vehicles that accept a 6.5-inch (165 mm) speaker.'
Old 30th April 2018, 01:27 PM   #34
Caveman
Achieved official socks

I'll defer to the experts, perhaps they have an adaptor ring that you fit to the speaker that then fits to the door?