The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum

Go Back   The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum > M3 and M4 Talk > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Old 8th November 2017, 09:43 AM   #21
Hopz121
Achieved official socks

Car: 2004 BMW M3 Manual
Colour Combo: Silver Grey with Grey leather

Thanks for the info Salrav1

If convenient one day could we try and fit one of my 18inch 260M front wheels to your car and see if it clears the Calipers?

This conversion is one id be very interested in doing and I live in Guildford too

Thanks

Ash
Hopz121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 8th November 2017, 11:38 AM   #22
Salrav1
On the path

Car: 2002 E46 M3 Coupe manual.
Colour Combo: Silver,black leather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopz121 View Post
Thanks for the info Salrav1

If convenient one day could we try and fit one of my 18inch 260M front wheels to your car and see if it clears the Calipers?

This conversion is one id be very interested in doing and I live in Guildford too

Thanks

Ash
Hi Ash, no problem at all , I am in Guildford so no problem,would be great to meet you and see your car.I work for myself and I am pretty much free all the time including during the day so just send me a message and we can meet up .I have a trolly jack and axel stands so will be nice and easy.
if any one else wants to try a wheel they are more then welcome to contact me .Davenwalk is in Leatherhead and you would be more then welcome to come over as well,I have quite a big driveway so parking is not a problem so if any one else wants to come over just let know.
There seems to be quite a few of us in Surrey and it would be really nice to meet up ,please feel free to post who is up for this and maybe start another seperate thread on this as it would be great to get some cars together
Salrav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2017, 12:34 PM   #23
JamesHirst
Achieved official socks

Car: 2003 E46 M3
Colour Combo: TittySilver/Black

Great info Salrav, cheers for posting
JamesHirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2017, 05:19 PM   #24
mill
Wearing official underwear

Car: E46 M3, Lotus Exige S
Colour Combo: SMG Silver with black interior

Subscribed
mill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2017, 06:44 PM   #25
Salrav1
On the path

Hi Everyone,
Thank you for all taking an interest in this post,I have tried a original 18in wheel on today and the wheel does go on but it is really tight and just rubs on the back of the caliper. I have taken pictures and I would be more then happy to text them,what's app them or email them to anyone on here that is a bit more techy then me to upload here on Cutters for everyone to see.My number and what's app is 07769683401.
Old 9th November 2017, 01:03 AM   #26
Salrav1
On the path

Hi everyone,
I may try a rear oe 9x 18inch rim on the front to see if that fits as then at least the guys running a square set up can easily do the conversion.
Old 9th November 2017, 02:33 AM   #27
Johnny1983

Car: E46 M3

M4 brake setup with 18 wheels fitted. Photos courtesy of Salrav1...

This is where the 2mm shim goes...

In these two pics you can see where the caliper fouls the 18 wheel...

Johnny1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2017, 04:48 AM   #28
flintsigs

Car: 2003 e46 m3 PY

Great posts. Thanks for the help guys. Really good to see
flintsigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2017, 07:08 AM   #29
Salrav1
On the path

Thanks for posting these for me Johhny and I hope this has been of help.Please feel free to contact me for any more assistance or advice on this conversion. I am more then happy to meet any owners who want to try a different rim on my car to see if it fits,I am in Guildford Surrey and pretty flexible on times.
Old 9th November 2017, 07:20 AM   #30
Hopz121
Achieved official socks

Car: 2004 BMW M3 Manual
Colour Combo: Silver Grey with Grey leather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salrav1 View Post
Hi Ash, no problem at all , I am in Guildford so no problem,would be great to meet you and see your car.I work for myself and I am pretty much free all the time including during the day so just send me a message and we can meet up .I have a trolly jack and axel stands so will be nice and easy.
if any one else wants to try a wheel they are more then welcome to contact me .Davenwalk is in Leatherhead and you would be more then welcome to come over as well,I have quite a big driveway so parking is not a problem so if any one else wants to come over just let know.
There seems to be quite a few of us in Surrey and it would be really nice to meet up ,please feel free to post who is up for this and maybe start another seperate thread on this as it would be great to get some cars together
Are you free next Friday Salrav1?

I have the day off so could pop over with a loose 260M 18inch Wheel
Hopz121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2017, 02:00 AM   #31
Salrav1
On the path

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopz121 View Post
Are you free next Friday Salrav1?

I have the day off so could pop over with a loose 260M 18inch Wheel
Sorry to sound a bit thick but do you mean Friday the 10th or Friday the 17th .Both days are good for me ,just call me or Whatsapp me on 07769683401.cheers Sal
Old 10th November 2017, 08:47 AM   #32
r12tuning
On the path

Car: 2001 BMW M3

Salrav1 is a great forum member and better person because without knowing me nothing has given me his whatsapp and has even called me to explain where to put the washer to separate the bushing.
Thanks for all
r12tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2017, 01:29 PM   #33
Salrav1
On the path

Quote:
Originally Posted by r12tuning View Post
Salrav1 is a great forum member and better person because without knowing me nothing has given me his whatsapp and has even called me to explain where to put the washer to separate the bushing.
Thanks for all
Thank you,that is very kind of you,cheers Sal
Old 11th November 2017, 08:02 AM   #34
Johnny1983

Ok, I’m home from work, the M135i brakes are here, work starts today...
Old 11th November 2017, 03:34 PM   #35
davenwalk
On the path

Car: 2002 BMW M3 Coupe
Colour Combo: Carbon Black on Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny1983 View Post
Ok, Im home from work, the M135i brakes are here, work starts today...
Johnny you are in luck mate, the M135i brakes will work a treat.

Just been round to SalRav's place and bolted on my M Performance 340mm brembo calipers and they will work perfectly with the 360mm disc off an E90 M3.

The disc just touches the caliper, but still spins - so if a machine shop can just take an edge off the 360mm discs it will work fine.

I'm super happy now, just need to buy some discs and pads now.

Big thank you to Salrav for taking the time, giving me the spare shims (and a air filter panel) and in general being a top bloke!
davenwalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2017, 03:44 PM   #36
davenwalk
On the path

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenwalk View Post
Johnny you are in luck mate, the M135i brakes will work a treat.

Just been round to SalRav's place and bolted on my M Performance 340mm brembo calipers and they will work perfectly with the 360mm disc off an E90 M3.

The disc just touches the caliper, but still spins - so if a machine shop can just take an edge off the 360mm discs it will work fine.

I'm super happy now, just need to buy some discs and pads now.

Big thank you to Salrav for taking the time, giving me the spare shims (and a air filter panel) and in general being a top bloke!
Forgot to mention, we test fitting the OEM 18's and they are fine with spacers, but spokes catch on the calipers without spacers. My guess would be that a square set up would be fine without spacers (but we didn't try them so can't say with absolute certainty).
Old 11th November 2017, 03:55 PM   #37
Johnny1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenwalk View Post
Forgot to mention, we test fitting the OEM 18's and they are fine with spacers, but spokes catch on the calipers without spacers. My guess would be that a square set up would be fine without spacers (but we didn't try them so can't say with absolute certainty).
What width spacers? and do the e90 m3 discs fit without fouling the backplate?
Old 11th November 2017, 04:06 PM   #38
davenwalk
On the path

Quote:
What width spacers? and do the e90 m3 discs fit without fouling the backplate?
We tried on SalRav's car. Unbolted his M4 caliper, and bolted on my calipers and took loads of photos. So regarding the disc fouling the backing plate and also the size of the spacers, will await SalRav's comments.

I'm happy to share the photos of you send me your mobile number (still haven't figured out how to do it on the forum - side note is it possible on an iPhone or do you need a PC?)
Old 11th November 2017, 04:19 PM   #39
Johnny1983

Some trial fitting today....

Caliper fitted with standard disc in place...

As you can see the disc fouls the caliper, hence why others have used the e90/f80 discs with bigger bells and used shims behind the hub to centre the disc. I would like to use the 345mm CSL disc so I've spaced the caliper 5mm away from the caliper mounting to centre the disc...

The standard 18" wheels will foul the caliper without spacers, with the above setup i will be fine with 20mm spacers. If i do decide to go with this setup then i'll be getting some proper 5mmx30mm diameter spacers made for the calipers.

Any thoughts so far?
Old 11th November 2017, 05:55 PM   #40
Salrav1
On the path

Quote:
Some trial fitting today....

Caliper fitted with standard disc in place...

As you can see the disc fouls the caliper, hence why others have used the e90/f80 discs with bigger bells and used shims behind the hub to centre the disc. I would like to use the 345mm CSL disc so I've spaced the caliper 5mm away from the caliper mounting to centre the disc...

The standard 18" wheels will foul the caliper without spacers, with the above setup i will be fine with 20mm spacers. If i do decide to go with this setup then i'll be getting some proper 5mmx30mm diameter spacers made for the calipers.

Any thoughts so far?
Hi Johnny,
Thanks for posting this ,it's a shame you are in the North as me and Dave were doing exactly the same thing as you this afternoon and you could have come around as well and had a play.I can confirm that all you will need to fit for 18inch wheels will be 12mm spacers which is what I have fitted to my car.The back plates clear fine and there are no issues there.I will send you some pictures of what we did today by What's app so please post and share on here.You will not need 5x30 mm spacers just 2 per side of the spacers that I found on ebay behind the hub and the wheel bearing on the bare stub axle to centralise the caliper.,job done.
As Dave said the 360 mm discs fit a treat with the calipers and cost the same as the Csl discs so why not go for these?
Dave has driven my car so please fee l free to ask him what the brakes are like.