The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum

Go Back   The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum > M3 and M4 Talk > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Old 18th April 2018, 03:09 PM   #41
James92
A mere Chipper

Car: 2002 E46 M3

Yeah I bought of condition, even though mine hasnít had the subframe done itís in brilliant condition and a tonne of history with it! I got 3 owner, 02 SMG car with genuine CSL wheels and 86k on the clock for £12,995.
James92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 18th April 2018, 06:41 PM   #42
ste360
On the path

Car: E46 M3

Read all this with interest, like the Op plan on getting into one of these soon. Intend on using it as a daily. A £12/£13k budget seems reasonable, it's where I'm at anyway.
ste360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2018, 07:35 PM   #43
Macaroni
On the path

Car: 2003 BMW M3, Porsche 944
Colour Combo: phoenix yellow and cinnamon

I bought my car last August and itís immaculate with full service history at 93k and paid £11k, I booked it in with Redish to have the subframe reinforcement done and ended up spending £7k and had loads of bits renewed. These are 15 year old cars so expect to spend a bit to bring them back to perfect even on the bits you canít see

Good luck with your search
Macaroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2018, 08:19 AM   #44
REU M3
A mere Chipper

Car: 2009 E93 M3

Interesting stuff.

I need to find a forum member that looks after his cars as I do i think...

Search is on...please do pass on any sale ads if they fit the bill - Coupe / Manual / good maintenance history to cover off typical items listed in the thread....
REU M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2018, 09:27 AM   #45
James92
A mere Chipper

Car: 2002 E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaroni View Post
I bought my car last August and itís immaculate with full service history at 93k and paid £11k, I booked it in with Redish to have the subframe reinforcement done and ended up spending £7k and had loads of bits renewed. These are 15 year old cars so expect to spend a bit to bring them back to perfect even on the bits you canít see

Good luck with your search
£7k?! Wow, what did you have done for that?
James92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2018, 11:13 AM   #46
Toady
Wearing official underwear

Car: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by James92 View Post
His pants pulled down by the sounds of it!!!
Toady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2018, 11:52 AM   #47
bod1986
Achieved official socks

Car: multiple

Bootfloor, full suspension, full re-bush, powder coat rear suspension arms etc the list goes on.. I can see how 7k would go very easily without touching the engine.
bod1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2018, 12:55 PM   #48
toplad
Achieved official socks

Car: Mobile skip

Quote:
Originally Posted by bod1986 View Post
Bootfloor, full suspension, full re-bush, powder coat rear suspension arms etc the list goes on.. I can see how 7k would go very easily without touching the engine.
I'm telling ya, bottomless pit

Now you just need to renew every suspension arm, bush on the front and 4 x shocks/springs, then move on to the rusty arches, wings and body
toplad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2018, 01:53 PM   #49
Tom
Achieved official socks

Car: BMW E46 ///M3

Welcome to come view mine buddy - Just let me know by PM

http://forums.m3cutters.co.uk/showthread.php?t=189867

Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2018, 03:08 PM   #50
Macaroni
On the path

Car: 2003 BMW M3, Porsche 944
Colour Combo: phoenix yellow and cinnamon

Quote:
Originally Posted by James92 View Post
It donít take long racket rack up !!

https://youtu.be/PfBM4gIKzxE

While the car is stripped having the subframe carrier panel done then it makes sense to have everything else done that has worn over the 15 years !!
Macaroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2018, 06:57 PM   #51
JamesHirst
Achieved official socks

Car: 2003 E46 M3
Colour Combo: TittySilver/Black

7k is an easy spend im well over that doing brakes rod bearings oil pump suspension vanos boot floor bushes ball joints water pump stat bits of trim and paint. bet parts cost was half of that

Last edited by JamesHirst; 19th April 2018 at 07:00 PM.
JamesHirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2018, 09:10 PM   #52
ADL
Achieved official socks

Car: 2005 E46 M3 manual coupe & 1990 golf GTi 16v & 2014 golf R dsg

I do think people tend to go a bit nuts with “preventative maintenance” obviously look after it and service it properly etc but I’ve done none of the main jobs on mine and none of them need doing (yet!) i see no point in doing the head gasket for example unless it goes. Only things u really should think about doing is protect it from rust as best you can, get the racp done and maybe think about a vanos overhaul. Everything else can get fixed if it breaks or when you’re doing a job where it makes sense to do it at the same time. I wouldn’t be put off by any car that hadn’t had any of the jobs mentioned in this thread done if the car was fine. In fact I’d rather not have any of the jobs done if there wasn’t evidence that they’d be done right. A bodge job is worse than not doing it all imo. they are expensive to maintain and expensive when they break but for the most part they’re pretty solid. I’m on my 3rd e46 over the last 5 years and have never had any issues in any of them aside from dead pixels in the sat nav,exhaust clamps and a blocked washer nozzle. It’s the mods that cost the most lol!

Last edited by ADL; 19th April 2018 at 09:13 PM.
ADL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2018, 09:15 PM   #53
broonster
Achieved official socks

Car: Silverstone E46 Individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADL View Post
I do think people tend to go a bit nuts with ďpreventative maintenanceĒ obviously look after it and service it properly etc but Iíve done none of the main jobs on mine and none of them need doing (yet!) i see no point in doing the head gasket for example unless it goes. Only things u really should think about doing is protect it from rust as best you can, get the racp done and maybe think about a vanos overhaul. Everything else can get fixed if it breaks or when youíre doing a job where it makes sense to do it at the same time. I wouldnít be put off by any car that hadnít had any of the jobs mentioned in this thread done if the car was fine. In fact Iíd rather not have any of the jobs done if there wasnít evidence that theyíd be done right. A bodge job is worse than not doing it all imo. they are expensive to maintain and expensive when they break but for the most part theyíre pretty solid. Iím on my 3rd e46 over the last 5 years and have never had any issues in any of them aside from dead pixels in the sat nav,exhaust clamps and a blocked washer nozzle. Itís the mods that cost the most lol!
Your back,and we agree

Its mental the amount of scare threads about various stuff on here,like you say basically if it aint broke dont try and fix it apart from the obvious that you have mentioned.

At the same time though it totally depends on the individual and how good you want your car,i bought mine for what i thought was a good price at the time and i budgeted a bit extra to get it how i wanted it,i.e perfect,which is great but i now have a 2002 car that stands me over £20k,my choice,no need,but hey if you have a car you always wanted,it needs to be right in my world anyway.

Also on my 3rd E46,and like you say,never had a problem and one was an M3 SMG,never missed a beat,biggest problem with these cars is age i reckon,rust,stonechips,worn interior,wheels,tyres,suspension,just the basics,oh yeah,brakes.

I think if i just keep it for another 75 years i might at least get half my money backwhats not to like

Steve
broonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2018, 10:29 PM   #54
DaveMSport
Achieved official socks

Car: E46 M3 Individual, E36 M3 track car, Landrover Defender E53 X5, E38 730, E30 318is, E30 Mtec touring
Colour Combo: Techno Violet/silver gray

I probably spent the bones of 7k when I did mine too but that included a full Supersprint system, coilovers, bbk front and rear, new V brace, exhaust support/chassis braces plates, Upper control arms, purple tag rack, every nut, but and clip underneath brand new and everything not replaced like the subframe, diff casing, trialing arms powedercoated.

I done everything myself of course though so probably 2k or more of labour saved if I had to get somebody to do it.
DaveMSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2018, 12:19 PM   #55
REU M3
A mere Chipper

Useful insights chaps. thanks...

I viewed a nice 2005 100K mile car this weekend and made an offer on it. ~£11k. Strangely at the same time it dawned on me that I won't pay much more for a car with 100K+ miles (just my opinion).

Paying more just means I find myself into 15K territory that inevitably opens the door to cars with half the mileage. I don't think either 'types' of cars are better or worse, but I always view to make a car purchase with some investment profile, ultimately trying to position myself so as to be able to sell without considerable loss.

Strangely I have found myself seeking out a few e36's along the way also.... LOL
Old 24th April 2018, 03:35 PM   #56
ag51bye
On the path

Colour Combo: Technoviolet/champagne leather

Wasnít the silver grey car with red leather on PistonHeads was it?
ag51bye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2018, 04:07 PM   #57
TouringRob
Achieved official socks

Car: M3 Touring

Quote:
Strangely I have found myself seeking out a few e36's along the way also.... LOL
Don't know if you have owned or driven one but I had a 328 for years (still own it) as my daily driver and loved it, has brakes and suspension off an M3 evo and I was always in the "whats so great about the E46 camp".

Then came baby and the need for some form of crash rating and ISO fix.... These (perks?) aside I would now not give up the E46 for a comparable E36. The E46 does everything the E36 does but better and with more class.

There are a few low miles cars on ebay at the moment which may be worth a look?
TouringRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2018, 06:35 PM   #58
ste360
On the path

Am fairly sure it's the one in your area, this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/263604066590.
Another contender
ste360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2018, 08:28 AM   #59
REU M3
A mere Chipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ag51bye View Post
Wasnít the silver grey car with red leather on PistonHeads was it?
No mate, which one is that?
Old 27th April 2018, 06:57 AM   #60
Salvo6484
On the path

Car: 2015 X5 40d & 2002 E46 M3 Manual Coupe
Colour Combo: Carbon Black/Grey
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfesta View Post
As above low miles and low owners can only happen once...you cant undo owners or mileage. So if your able to start low. Then why not..

Maintenace will be needed on these at some point regardless if its got 35k on it or 135k. All cars need jobs doing at some point.
Thats not to say buy blindly and take any old low miler. The same rule applied to buying any used car check it over. Buying on condition is ofcourse correct. Ie no point buying a dog just because it has low miles. In the same way you dont go looking for an ugly bird just because shes had 1 ex.

But if you can find a low mile/owner for a decent price in good condition thats what id be looking for.

Mines a vert but i paid 12.5k from an independent dealer in 2012 with 42k on it, its on 64k now and id imagine i havnt lost a great deal if anything in the 6years iv had it. Running costs aside.

As for high milers driving like lower milers thats not true in my experience. My daily 330i has 187k miles and although no m3 it drives perfectly fine having lots done to it all new shocks/springs/bushes/clutch/bearings/calipers etc....it still feels like its done alot more then my M3.
^^ +1 for this. I bought a manual coupe last year and managed to drive the price down to £7.5 at 105k Miles as I knew it needed things doing, but I also knew I wanted to get those things done myself as I could guarantee their quality.
Salvo6484 is offline   Reply With Quote