The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum

Go Back   The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum > M3 and M4 Talk > F80 M3 Saloon / F82 M4 Coupe / F83 M4 Convertible

Old 14th March 2018, 10:08 AM   #41
Telfordboy
On the path

Car: 2017 M4 CP. 2013 M135i
Colour Combo: Silverstone / black

Thanks for the collective wisdom guys.
Just to be clear, I'm not trying to get out early, VT it or anything like that. I fully intent to go full term with the car and I fully understand the deal I am signed up to. None of that changes the nature of my question which is if the car is worth less that the balloon would BMWFS prefer the car back or do a deal with me. Clear answers from you on that thanks. It not going to change what I do going forward I was just posing the question.
However, please note my post #12 where I have experienced this before so I know its not completely impossible depending on the finance house.
Telfordboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 14th March 2018, 12:16 PM   #42
pstevie
Wearing official underwear

Car: M2 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsk21 View Post
It won't have a GFV.

It will have an amount which you are obliged to pay under the terms of your contract if you want to keep it.

if market value is less than this its is irrelevant. The dealer has no say in it.
Ok so I would obviously just hand it back rather than pay 35k for a car valued at 30k.

But what does the dealer then do? Prep the car and put it up for sale at 30k? I dont see why they wouldnt discuss just doing a deal with me at 30k (I understand that they would still need to do backend work of clearing the finance at 35k etc.)
pstevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2018, 01:00 PM   #43
SimonH
Achieved official socks

Car: M4 Comp Pack Mineral White/Sakhir Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstevie View Post
Ok so I would obviously just hand it back rather than pay 35k for a car valued at 30k.

But what does the dealer then do? Prep the car and put it up for sale at 30k? I dont see why they wouldnt discuss just doing a deal with me at 30k (I understand that they would still need to do backend work of clearing the finance at 35k etc.)
In that situation stevie, i would say you could hand it back, and BMW FS either gives you £5k, as its a GFV, or there is £5k equity/deposit for the next car ?, but the dealer has no obligation to take the car back, its BMW FSs problem at that point ?. The dealers are the guys that sold you the car, and they have had their deal from it. Im not exactly sure of the procedure of handing the car back, as ive not done it to date, but i know its not the dealers responsibility to take the car back, its BMW FSs. Im sure someone else can chip in here if im wrong ?.
Also, is it a £35k GFV on an M2, we are talking about here, or is this hyperthetical ?.
SimonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2018, 01:43 PM   #44
Telfordboy
On the path

Car: 2017 M4 CP. 2013 M135i
Colour Combo: Silverstone / black

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
Im not exactly sure of the procedure of handing the car back, as ive not done it to date, but i know its not the dealers responsibility to take the car back, its BMW FSs. Im sure someone else can chip in here if im wrong ?.
Normally the finance company will arrange collection at the end of the term, the dealer is not involved
Telfordboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2018, 02:38 PM   #45
rsk21
Achieved official socks

Car: Various - ex M4 vert CP

Quote:
In that situation stevie, i would say you could hand it back, and BMW FS either gives you £5k, as its a GFV, or there is £5k equity/deposit for the next car ?, but the dealer has no obligation to take the car back, its BMW FSs problem at that point ?. The dealers are the guys that sold you the car, and they have had their deal from it. Im not exactly sure of the procedure of handing the car back, as ive not done it to date, but i know its not the dealers responsibility to take the car back, its BMW FSs. Im sure someone else can chip in here if im wrong ?.
Also, is it a £35k GFV on an M2, we are talking about here, or is this hyperthetical ?.
Woah there.

Firstly GFV doesn’t exist any more and secondly even when it did it had nothing to do the customer receiving any cash from the retailer./ finance co.

Last edited by rsk21; 14th March 2018 at 02:42 PM.
rsk21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2018, 03:52 PM   #46
pstevie

Car: M2 LCI

Its just hypothetical

And I didnt think about it being the finance company and not the dealer that would collect the car, I suppose they will just whack it in an auction.

(And I should of said optional final payment rather than GFV sorry, I understand I will not receive any cash if the trade value is below this final payment but I can just hand the keys back and walk away).
pstevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2018, 04:01 PM   #47
demessiah

Car: M3 Competition Pack
Colour Combo: SMB / Opal

Every car Ive given back the pick up guy has said hes driving it straight to the auction house and if I want it to go see them.

I usually dont want my cars back
demessiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2018, 04:34 PM   #48
FlipperMan
A mere Chipper

Car: 2016 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstevie View Post
Its just hypothetical

And I didnt think about it being the finance company and not the dealer that would collect the car, I suppose they will just whack it in an auction.

(And I should of said optional final payment rather than GFV sorry, I understand I will not receive any cash if the trade value is below this final payment but I can just hand the keys back and walk away).
BCA are agents for BMWFS - they all go to auction, whether thatís private (for dealers only) or public but at a BCA auction house.
FlipperMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2018, 05:26 PM   #49
SimonH
Achieved official socks

Quote:
Woah there.

Firstly GFV doesnít exist any more and secondly even when it did it had nothing to do the customer receiving any cash from the retailer./ finance co.
Didnt think GFV was still in service, thats why i was questioning it ?.
Old 14th March 2018, 05:29 PM   #50
rsk21
Achieved official socks

Quote:
Didnt think GFV was still in service, thats why i was questioning it ?.
Yes but donít understand why you think the punter would receive any cash
Old 14th March 2018, 05:33 PM   #51
SimonH
Achieved official socks

Quote:
Yes but donít understand why you think the punter would receive any cash
I think this is why GFV no longer exists, because its wording is confusing ?. If he was given a value of £35k at the end, and the car was worth £30k, would he not have been owed £5k from someone, legally, as he had been told the car would be worth £35k ?. Now final option to purchase is a different worded term altogether?, if ive given duff info on this one, apologies
Old 14th March 2018, 06:04 PM   #52
rsk21
Achieved official socks

Quote:
I think this is why GFV no longer exists, because its wording is confusing ?. If he was given a value of £35k at the end, and the car was worth £30k, would he not have been owed £5k from someone, legally, as he had been told the car would be worth £35k ?. Now final option to purchase is a different worded term altogether?, if ive given duff info on this one, apologies
Agreed itís one of the reasons.

That said there was never any scenario where the supplier was contractually obliged to honour that price as anything other than a trade in value. When they got it wrong and / or the market moved they (the FS providers) found themselves having to underwrite the shortfall thus putting pressure on the retailer not to discount the individual units at trade in time.

As a term it became increasingly meaningless and open to attack as PCPs were regularly sold on the basis of ďif its worth more than that the equity is yours to roll and if the market says its worth less you just give it back to usĒ.