The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum

Go Back   The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum > M3 and M4 Talk > E90 Saloon / E92 Coupe / E93 Convertible M3 (2008-2013)

Old 11th July 2018, 08:43 AM   #21
chuckster
Achieved official socks

Car: 2008e92m3
Colour Combo: space grey bamboo leather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonLayco View Post
Sorry guys had a busy week/weekend. Iíll try get one up this week
Will look forward to a picture I'm in need of one of these
chuckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 18th July 2018, 08:09 AM   #22
JasonLayco
A mere Chipper

Car: E90 M3
Colour Combo: Silverstone II

http://flic.kr/p/26p4HUU

https://flic.kr/p/299PsgZ

Not the best picture but had no lift available to get a decent one.

Shows the gap left with no splitter fitted though
JasonLayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2018, 11:58 AM   #23
Pdelamare
Achieved official socks

Car: E92 M3, Mercedes E63 5.5, Caterham Levante, Smart Prime

That looks totally different to mine from underneath. Are you sure that's one of Paul's?
Pdelamare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2018, 12:33 PM   #24
V8mike
Wearing official robes

Car: E92 m3 coupe

Just about to say it fits a standard m3 bumper with no splitter fitted got pictures from Paul from a customers car no pictures of underneath though so I canít see the gap if there is 1?
V8mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2018, 01:19 PM   #25
Cardoc
Achieved official socks

Car: BMW M5 F10

That looks all sorts of wrong to me. (If you have no full splitter or BMW's corner splitters.)
The gaps will let all sorts of rubbish up in there, water, leaves, grit...... Maybe they were designed to be used just with full splitters etc... would be nice to get the manufacturer here to chime in and give us the lowdown from the horses mouth.

The Three I've seen now on cars, this doesn't look like it is right and the other two people have had to modify to suit their cars.... hmmmm.
Cardoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2018, 05:48 PM   #26
JasonLayco
A mere Chipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdelamare View Post
That looks totally different to mine from underneath. Are you sure that's one of Paul's?
Yes definitely one of his. Mumbray motorsport laser cut in to the middle of it, supplied directly from him.

I agree that it doesnít look great with no splitter and Iíd be looking at having something made up to fill the gaps if I was to run It like this.
Old 19th July 2018, 09:58 AM   #27
chuckster
Achieved official socks

Car: 2008e92m3
Colour Combo: space grey bamboo leather.

Looks like it would be ok with corner splitters
chuckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2018, 08:04 AM   #28
Cardoc
Achieved official socks

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster View Post
Looks like it would be ok with corner splitters
No it won't.

Right people, I have seen one of the 'Mumbray Motorsport' Undertrays in person on and off car.

These are my personal thoughts for someone who plans on fitting one for a car primarily used on roads & who do not run a full GT4 type splitter:

They are NOT SUITABLE if you have the BMW or equivalent corner carbon splitters. They are not suitable for cars without ANY splitters or front spoiler.

I would even go so far to say, (and it would be good to get Paul Mumbray confirm this) it's not that they are simply 'not suitable'.. but they were not actually designed for use on cars other than those that run a full length 'GT4' type spoiler.

What worries me about these undertrays is that if the front carbon splitter gets caught or hit hard enough, then it will likely bend the undertray and possibly cause more damage to the pipes and oil cooler than the 'flimsy' felt plastic OEM set up which are designed to self crush rather than take the important parts of the car with it.

I think the actual product was fantastic. Well made, fitted well but had gaps where (I thought) there didn't need to be, not gaps as in poor fit, but in the actual design of the piece. For a track focused car or lowered road car with a GT4 front splitter, it works well in so far as giving you that extra clearance underneath.

I'm def looking at getting one after destroying my 5th felt corner in as many years, but will talk to Mumbray first as running BMW's corner splitters I want to see if there is any way we can fit it 'properly'.
Old 25th July 2018, 09:36 AM   #29
stub101101
On the path

Car: E92 M3 DCT
Colour Combo: Alpine White / Black

I'm refusing to buy another flimsy and expensive set from BMW but am amazed than no-one makes a (standard) aftermarket version.
stub101101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2018, 06:31 AM   #30
Malyxyx
A mere Chipper

Car: 2008 e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardoc View Post
No it won't.

Right people, I have seen one of the 'Mumbray Motorsport' Undertrays in person on and off car.

These are my personal thoughts for someone who plans on fitting one for a car primarily used on roads & who do not run a full GT4 type splitter:

They are NOT SUITABLE if you have the BMW or equivalent corner carbon splitters. They are not suitable for cars without ANY splitters or front spoiler.

I would even go so far to say, (and it would be good to get Paul Mumbray confirm this) it's not that they are simply 'not suitable'.. but they were not actually designed for use on cars other than those that run a full length 'GT4' type spoiler.

What worries me about these undertrays is that if the front carbon splitter gets caught or hit hard enough, then it will likely bend the undertray and possibly cause more damage to the pipes and oil cooler than the 'flimsy' felt plastic OEM set up which are designed to self crush rather than take the important parts of the car with it.
I think the actual product was fantastic. Well made, fitted well but had gaps where (I thought) there didn't need to be, not gaps as in poor fit, but in the actual design of the piece. For a track focused car or lowered road car with a GT4 front splitter, it works well in so far as giving you that extra clearance underneath.

I'm def looking at getting one after destroying my 5th felt corner in as many years, but will talk to Mumbray first as running BMW's corner splitters I want to see if there is any way we can fit it 'properly'.

I must sort both of my ones as drivers is completely gone and left hand one is ripped And doesn’t hold wheel arch at all ( both ware like that since I’ve got it), so I am looking for something “permanent” and only this aluminium try seams to be the resolution, so gt4 splitter is must have (unless Mumbry will change design) but those are not cheap as well and even lower and easier To damaged than felt pieces aren’t they?

Last edited by Malyxyx; 26th July 2018 at 06:34 AM.
Malyxyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2018, 12:00 PM   #31
Cardoc
Achieved official socks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malyxyx View Post
I must sort both of my ones as drivers is completely gone and left hand one is ripped And doesn’t hold wheel arch at all ( both ware like that since I’ve got it), so I am looking for something “permanent” and only this aluminium try seams to be the resolution, so gt4 splitter is must have (unless Mumbry will change design) but those are not cheap as well and even lower and easier To damaged than felt pieces aren’t they?
No, the Mumbray undertrays are as far away from the ground as is possible. they are a great piece of kit. The felt BMW corner pieces are so stupid, I don't even know why they hang so low.... the trouble is, when one gets bashed, because it's connected to the centre piece, the bumper and the blummin' wheel arch splash guards, they all go loose. I think that's in the design though, so 'only the cheap' corner bits need replacing so say.

My missus absolutely destroyed one of mine in a tight McDonalds drive through, ripping the screw mounts out of the centre piece and the wheel arch as it went... had to replace the lot. Not happy. They've since took a few knocks and become tatty.

I'm going to look into this. A friend of mine owns an engineering company which produces prototypes for industry via 3D printing, traditional fabrication, metal/wood/plastic turning and milling CNC work and has Laser 3D scanning on site. I'll get a map of the underneath of the cars engine bay & front bumper/wheel arch area so i have all location points accurately mapped and am going to have a crack at one myself to fit a road based car. These aren't rocket science pieces of kit.

Watch this space.
Old 26th July 2018, 12:16 PM   #32
Zag
Wearing official robes

Car: E92 M3 + Alfa SZ
Colour Combo: Space Grey / Black

This has been done..... and doesn't need a gt4 splitter or flippers, it just fits...

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showth...ight=undertray

Last edited by Zag; 26th July 2018 at 12:23 PM.
Zag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2018, 08:13 PM   #33
Pdelamare
Achieved official socks

Car: E92 M3, Mercedes E63 5.5, Caterham Levante, Smart Prime

Deansbimmer one costs $150 to ship here though, on top of the $400 price. This is why I encouraged Paul to copy it here.
Pdelamare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2018, 09:19 PM   #34
JasonLayco
A mere Chipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zag View Post
This has been done..... and doesn't need a gt4 splitter or flippers, it just fits...

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showth...ight=undertray

The gap this leaves open is only very slightly smaller than the Mumbray one. What needs to be taken into account is that has not been marketed as a direct replacement for the felt parts (not that it has really been marketed as such anyway).

When I spoke to Paul he was very upfront with the fitment and that it was developed for track.

Surely if you are wanting to run no splitter then you can have someone fabricate something for the gaps?
Old 26th July 2018, 09:43 PM   #35
MarkRF
Achieved official socks

Car: Monte Blue 92

Surely Paul could have them all manufactured for standard fit with deletable sections for brake ducting.
MarkRF is online now   Reply With Quote