The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum

Go Back   The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum > M3 and M4 Talk > E90 Saloon / E92 Coupe / E93 Convertible M3 (2008-2013)

Old 12th July 2018, 12:36 PM   #1
cdti
Wearing official underwear

Car: 2008 E92 M3
Colour Combo: White/Black
Exclamation Sick E92...still sick after 2 weeks

My E92 has comprehensive warranty for which I pay 130/month. It went into limp mode and was running extremely rough. I got it recovered to Knights North Staffs on Friday 29th June. I got a call from the service department to say they had received the car and asked me briefly what was wrong. At the same time I explained some other unrelated faults which they said they would look into aswell. I got a call later that day to say they diagnosed the engine fault as a faulty throttle actuator and that they would get it fixed. I got a call on Monday to say the car was ready and I asked if all the issues had been resolved and was told they didn't have time to check the unrelated faults to which I expressed I was not happy with this. The service guy said the car is fixed and to collect my car and return the hire car. I spoke with BMW CS and complained about this and they contacted the dealership. The following day the service guy rang back and said they were keeping the car to do a few more checks and to return the following day so I could swap the hire car (from enterprise) with one of the dealership cars. I returned the hire car on Wednesday and collected a dealership car, I noticed my car was parked in the customer car park at this time. I rang the next day to get an update and was told the car was still on the car park (no time to look at it) and I got a call the following day (Friday) to be told the same thing. I called again on Tuesday to be told it was still on the car park. I went to the dealership yesterday intending to complain to the service manager, she had left already and I was told I would recieve a call from her today which has yet to happen. I did get a call from the same service guy who has been dealing with me from day 1 and he called to say they had pulled the car in to the department and diagnosed the fault as a throttle actuator. Confused as you would be, I said that's already been done, I'm waiting for the other faults to be rectified and he said no it's not been done yet.

At this point I'm very frustrated and go on a rant as they have had the car for 14 days and have only managed to diagnose the fault in this time aswell as miscommunicating with me in a massive way. To top it off the warranty team are asking for an invoice of sale from when I purchased the car (private sale) as it's a high value claim, obviously I don't have one but surely they can't delay or reject a claim based on this? Also I did some reading around and it seems when one actuator dies the other soon follows so I requested they replace both at the same which I see being quite unlikely with Knights as they are not very helpful with these sorts of things.

Am I over-reacting or is this something to kick up a fuss about, and if so...
What should my next step be? Who can I speak to that holds some authority to tell Knights to get their act together.
How do I ensure both actuators are replaced at the same time to save another trip later?

To top it off, they've given me a 220d active tourer, it's like a Honda Jazz eith a BMW badge stuck on it.
cdti is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12th July 2018, 01:09 PM   #2
m20b25

Car: E90 M3

Speak to the dealer manager and explain to him calmly- ask whether this is normal service and should you get BMW CS to arrange for it to recovered to another dealer. My bet is that it will get swiftly sorted

Edit: **** the 220d active tourer - torch it. Horrid cars. Pisses me off when dealers fob you off with a non comparable car.
m20b25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2018, 05:58 PM   #3
MSG
Wearing official robes

Car: E92 M3 MC, Previous Megane 275

I am half tempted to cancel my warranty for this reason - [email protected] a month which I only have because of the rod bearing fiasco.....

I absolutely HATE BMW service, honestly feel like I am doing them a disservice by being there. Never had any issue with Mazda, Renault, Ford. This is my 2nd BMW and the service at 3 separate dealerships has always been at the bottom of the barrel.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2018, 06:43 PM   #4
cdti

Will be getting a call from the service manager in the morning. We shall wait and see what they say...
Old 12th July 2018, 06:56 PM   #5
philrob1
Achieved official socks

Car: BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition, Noble M12GTO3
Colour Combo: Dakar/Black

Sorry to hear of your woes mate.

I'd look at getting it taken elsewhere at this point, 14 days is enough, a throttle actuator change is a few hours work and they're only going to replace like for like (not upgraded) so they *will* fail again.

In terms of whether you need the warranty...hard to say, I don't know your situation, but looking objectively, from Rebuild.org.uk, it's 600 fitted for their upgraded actuators with a lifetime warranty on them, and around 1300 for a rod bearing change. And bear in mind, BMW will not change your rod bearings until the engine blows - if they're being this tough over a throttle actuator, I can imagine them being equally, of not more tough, over a new engine.

But like I say - just my 2p.
philrob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2018, 07:41 PM   #6
m20b25

Car: E90 M3

I've never had decent service from BMW without having to go to the dealer principle - it's the only way to get stuff done which is shocking.

Took me almost a year and 3 dealers to get them to change the gearbox in my old M3 under AUC warranty.
m20b25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2018, 07:47 PM   #7
Poon

Car: Frozen White M Performance Edition E92 & 911 GT3 Manthey

Sod the warranty. Gonna get my rod bearings done soon as a peace of mind thing. Late 2012 car on 44k. Probably not needed but it’ll help me enjoy the full 9000 rpm.

Actuators are cheap enough
Poon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2018, 11:40 AM   #8
cdti

I've only paid 2 months so far so quids in really...