The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum

Go Back   The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum > M3 and M4 Talk > E90 Saloon / E92 Coupe / E93 Convertible M3 (2008-2013)

Old 12th July 2018, 09:42 AM   #21
martybee58
On the path

Car: 2010 M3 DCT
Colour Combo: Black/Red

Thanks for the reply Cardoc, I was expecting you to say no track use and no short runs. but that's some really useful info.
martybee58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12th July 2018, 09:45 AM   #22
Jimboe92M3
On the path

Car: 2008 M3 DCT
Colour Combo: Alpine white/black rims,mirrors,grills/black leather/carbon trim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardoc View Post
Nothing out of the ordinary.
2011 Competition Pack DCT (Nov 2010 Build Date)
FBMWSH.
I do an intermittent oil and filter change every 7-8k (so roughly half way between main dealer services). I always wait until ECP or someone has a 50% 'flash sale' as they seem to do every other day and buy oil and filters that way. Cheap as chips...sort of. I think I usually pay around 35 quid each for 4litre bottles.

Castrol Oil. Edge Titanium 10w-60. Have used this since new. I bought the car AUC at 23k miles and i know BMW were using Castrol at that time when servicing. I have continued since. I think maybe once they used their 'own brand' which I believe is Shell now? before i realised they had changed suppliers, anyway, I've insisted on Castrol since, going so far to supply my own oil.

Have followed the same warm up procedure religiously. Start car and just take it easy until the oil is 75/80 deg c, keeping revs below 3k.

Have periodically done a few track days and had a trip to the Ring twice, but just for fun really. Never 'really' pushed the car in that respect.

Lots of short runs (school pick ups, shops etc) but also lots of motorway miles, although that has come down a lot recently.

Co-incidentally, while doing the big miles, my battery lasted 7 years... as soon as I dropped milage and using the car for long trips so much... car started throwing battery related codes regularly, so I've recently changed that.

As far as 'driving hard' probably not. As I said, I warm up 'properly'. And by that I mean I start the car and move off after around 20 seconds, so everything is getting warmed up. Remember, the Diff and Gearbox have oil in too, no point in sitting in your car warming up the engine for a couple of minutes like some do, then flooring it... your diff and gearbox are stone cold!
Get them moving slowly and warming up at the same time as the engine, not playing catch up!

That's what I've done anyway and it seems to have looked after me, all common sense stuff really.

I've had a brake vacuum sensor go this year and I'm about to replace the 4 lambda sensors, for no other reason than they are nearly 8 years old and 130 thousand miles!

A very well cared for car. Good work.

That's the same warm up routine as me and I use my car very similarly. Although my car has never had oil and filter changes in between main dealer recommendations and mine is still going strong on 93k. Definitely doesn't hurt though.

The only problem I had was the battery, as you said. Mine started to show issues where the comfort entry wouldn't work so I knew it was on it's way out. But me having a very relaxed attitude about it, I ended up paying the price!
I was in slow moving, heavy traffic on the south circular. Just got across one of the busiest junctions and the car died and was stuck in gear too
It threw up a drivetrain malfunction warning so I was terrified to was a gearbox issue.

Plenty of helpful people asked if I wanted a push but as it was in gear there was no way it was moving. And it took 4 hours for RAC to come and recover me. I head my head in my hands when lorries and buses were having to swing right around it to get past. It was terrifying!!

If only I'd known at the time that it was the battery I would have just swallowed the extortionate RAC price for a new one but both me and the RAC guy agreed that due to the fault it flashed up, it was probably best not to try and jump start it in case there was a gearbox fault.

You would not believe the relief when I got home, charged the battery right up and it fired straight up!!!
Jimboe92M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2018, 03:08 PM   #23
Subzero269
Achieved official socks

Car: 2009 E92 M3 DCT

96k miles on mine and it genuinely feels as tight and well put together as my 30k 335i I had a few years back - people are always amazed that it's done almost 100k miles. The E92 is so much better built than the E46 was - and I had 3 E46 cars some high mileage and older, some low mileage and younger.

My nerve isn't holding out any longer and i'm going to get the rod bearings done in the next couple of months. I hate that I've given in to internet scaremongering, but to be honest, when I come to sell it in a few years it'll should hopefully be a big selling point as people are going to be very wary (rightly or wrongly) of a ~130k mile car which hasn't had it done. So hopefully i'll get (some of) the cost back when I sell it.

Last edited by Subzero269; 13th July 2018 at 03:11 PM.
Subzero269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2018, 04:19 PM   #24
Alex5000
Wearing official robes

Car: 2005 BMW M3
Colour Combo: Carbon Black / Kiwi

Alex5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2018, 06:13 AM   #25
PeteD
Rocking a new hat

Car: e92 M3, Alpine White, Black/Carbon interior, Comp Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex5000 View Post
This is a great find
PeteD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2018, 07:06 AM   #26
joshe
On the path

Car: F80 M3

Also interested to know what the highest mileage F80 is out there? Mines on 42k (2015 M3)
joshe is offline   Reply With Quote