The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum

Go Back   The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum > M3 and M4 Talk > F80 M3 Saloon / F82 M4 Coupe / F83 M4 Convertible

Old 14th August 2018, 08:48 AM   #81
Porky
On the path

Car: 2015 BMW F83 M4
Colour Combo: Sapphire black , sakhir orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobby66 View Post
Had it done at Bowkers Preston.
Yes I know the inner tips stick out further
If you look down vertical at the tips they are just kind of level with the lip on the rear diffuser, that looks just right to me. Ive got the PDF of the installation guide and it says they cant stick out further than the rear bumper on plan view. The tips are simply slid on till they stop then secured with a small allen screw underneath
Anyway, when I looked under the car when it was on the ramp its obvious as to the forward / aft position. If you look at the forward hangers on the actual exhaust, they should be vertically below the corresponding hanger on the car when viewed from the side. Mine were out of line by 20mm meaning the exhaust had been set 20mm too far forward.
Ill try upload a pic of the modified silencer supports. When you see it, you will think yes that should have been done before. To me, a change of design structurally by BMW is an admittance that the previous version was not fit for purpose. Use that if you are out of warranty, they cant argue with that.
Just been out for a drive tonight and its confirmed, I love the exhaust!
Be warned, its VERY LOUD! in sport+ LOUD in sport but surprisingly, quiet in efficient, which is brilliant. These exhausts surely cannot be road legal!
It just makes me smile when I open the throttle The pops and burbvles on over run are addictive, I do it on purpose when driving slow through a built up area. Yes I know! Its boy racerish but I don't care. If you are teetering on the edge of getting one, just do it
Cheers nobby
Porky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 14th August 2018, 01:34 PM   #82
shiplake
A mere Chipper

Car: 2013 bmw m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfred View Post
Yep, but they brought out a modded version with tubular stiffeners running through the back box, you can see them if yours has the mod.
where are the stiffeners on the box? cheers.
shiplake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2018, 01:43 PM   #83
redfred
Achieved official socks

Car: 2017 M3 cp black on full black with all the carbon bits

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiplake View Post
where are the stiffeners on the box? cheers.
There are 2 tubes running through it longitudinally, you can see the holes and the welds. All this is going from memory about 4 years ago but they were definitely modded because of cracking and you definitely can see the holes through the box if it is a modded one.
redfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2018, 03:15 PM   #84
familyguy
Wearing official underwear

Car: F80 M3/ i3rx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky View Post
Nobby did you have your MPE from Cotswold Bmw?
Mine stick out quite a bit as can be seen in photos above.
I had mine fitted at Cotswold and the tips stuck out quite along way.
I think itís just how the person that fits it like them to look.
Simply undo the grub screws in the underside of the tip and slide them to suit.
Thereís a huge amount of adjustment.
Make sure you use a bit of loctite when you do the grub screws back up though as mine came loose after a couple of thousand miles and rattled like a bugger at low speed.
Thought it was the dreaded split. Mines the revised design.
familyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2018, 05:27 PM   #85
lindorez
Wearing official robes

Car: BMW F82 M4 ZCP

Just had mine fitted today under warranty at BMW due to cracks in my exhaust. Looks like I timed it just right.

My previous part number was "2 349 921 02" and the new one is "2 349 921 03" date stamp is 09/18.

I think the small bracket could make the difference. I was sure the rattle and vibrations were causing a lot of strain and this should stop that.

Fingers crossed they have got it right as my M Performance exhaust is 2 years old next month.

lindorez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2018, 05:48 PM   #86
shiplake
A mere Chipper

Car: 2013 bmw m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfred View Post
There are 2 tubes running through it longitudinally, you can see the holes and the welds. All this is going from memory about 4 years ago but they were definitely modded because of cracking and you definitely can see the holes through the box if it is a modded one.
cheers, i think i see what you mean, looks like 2 x 10mm (ish) bars between the 2 boxes, one at the front about halfway up and the other is close to (or part of the hanger bars)towards the top at the back. Looks like i got lucky?!
shiplake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2018, 06:14 PM   #87
redfred
Achieved official socks

Car: 2017 M3 cp black on full black with all the carbon bits

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiplake View Post
cheers, i think i see what you mean, looks like 2 x 10mm (ish) bars between the 2 boxes, one at the front about halfway up and the other is close to (or part of the hanger bars)towards the top at the back. Looks like i got lucky?!
No I think we are talking about different things, just checked some google pics, the hole goes through each box from top to bottom in the centre. If yours is reinforced you should be able to see 2 holes one in each box or feel them if you canít get under, this is where the pipe goes through the boxes.
redfred is offline   Reply With Quote