The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum

Go Back   The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum > Forum Sponsors and Advertisers > CA Technologies International Ltd

Old 26th August 2016, 09:08 PM   #1
B11lyf
A mere Chipper

Car: E36 M3 Race car
Colour Combo: Black
Default Wheel nuts

I had a set of wheel studs from you which I'm really happy with, perfect for track days and swapping wheels on and off a lot. Slight problem is I use a torque gun like every one else to get wheels on and off again quickly and nuts have started to show signs of wear on the edges creating metal swarph. Do you do any harder nuts for this kind of abuse or do I need to start being careful and use a spider brace (old Skool)
B11lyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2016, 11:25 AM   #2
David @ CA
Site Sponsor

Car: Vectra C estate 2.0T 16v petrol

B11lyf hi

pleased that you are happy with the nuts, are these the extended nuts? even so, using a torque gun will damage most nuts. I will check to see if we can get some harder ones. I am not aware of any straight away, but I will also ask Roy. I'm away next week, but will come back by the end of this week.

cheers
D
David @ CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2016, 11:25 AM   #3
David @ CA
Site Sponsor

Default wheel nuts

B11lyf hi

pleased that you are happy with the nuts, are these the extended nuts? even so, using a torque gun will damage most nuts. I will check to see if we can get some harder ones. I am not aware of any straight away, but I will also ask Roy. I'm away next week, but will come back by the end of this week.

cheers
D
Old 2nd September 2016, 11:49 AM   #4
David @ CA
Site Sponsor

B11lyf hi

we are not aware of any harder nuts. in fact a harder nut would make matters worse. if you are changing wheels - thereby removing and refitting the nuts - on a fairly regular basis, you should be looking at replacing studs / nuts every 10 -12 wheel changing cycles.

Regular removal and refitting of the wheel fixing will cause the thread to lose its original properties. Car manufacturers can test the deterioration of the clamping force to ascertain the fixings integrity.

In this chart, 5 wheel bolts were tested. It shows the number of times they were tightened and the clamping force, after they were tightened 10 times the clamping force of bolt # 4 dropped from 45.000 Newton to less than 25,000 Newton.

1) Ensure wheel fastenings are in good condition, (without worn or rusted threads).
2) When using fixings for after-market wheels make sure that they correspond to the original fixings.
3) Never grease or lubricate the nut or bolt threads; grease alters the friction coefficient which affects torque settings.
4) Never grease or lubricate the bolt-holes on the wheel, hub or hub-studs.
5) Make sure you use the correct torque settings as given by the vehicle manufacturer.
6) Ensure you use a well calibrated torque wrench.

Although this information refers directly to wheel bolts, it is also pertinent to wheel studs and nuts.

We hope this helps.

cheers
D

Last edited by David @ CA; 2nd September 2016 at 12:10 PM.
Old 2nd September 2016, 12:39 PM   #5
SLPM3
Achieved official socks

Car: E36 M3 Evo Individual
Colour Combo: Avus/Modena

That's rather frightening reading! I have had studs on mine for years now and expect probably had wheels on/off over 100 times! Would hate to think what kind of numbers they would run after that much time...

Any idea what clamping force is actually need for a wheel to stay safely on a car? Is it possible that the info above is wholly irrelevant if you only need say 5000 newtons?
SLPM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2016, 12:57 PM   #6
David @ CA
Site Sponsor

Agreed scary stuff - think I'll get a horse! mind you being that high up on top of a huge beast, makes me shudder as well!

Don't know, have to hunt the net to find out.

D
Old 4th September 2016, 04:28 PM   #7
B11lyf
A mere Chipper

Car: E36 M3 Race car
Colour Combo: Black

Brill, thanks for reply and information!
B11lyf is offline   Reply With Quote