The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum
 

Go Back   The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum > M3 and M4 Talk > E36 M3 (1991-1999) and E30 M3 (1986-1990)



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th March 2018, 10:13 PM   #21
Covkiller
Wearing official underwear
 
Covkiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Coventry
Posts: 218
Car: E36 M3 Evo 1999
Colour Combo: Titan Silver
Default

I haven't posted my remap figures in my post yet but Ray West managed to get 340.3 BPH out of mine. Mods, Pipercross air filter and cat bypass pipes that's it.
Covkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 6th March 2018, 10:17 PM   #22
firesafety
Wearing official underwear
 
firesafety's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Higham Ferrers
Posts: 224
Car: E36 M3 Evolution
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Covkiller View Post
I haven't posted my remap figures in my post yet but Ray West managed to get 340.3 BPH out of mine. Mods, Pipercross air filter and cat bypass pipes that's it.
Where would one find Ray West
firesafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2018, 08:24 AM   #23
Covkiller
Wearing official underwear
 
Covkiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Coventry
Posts: 218
Car: E36 M3 Evo 1999
Colour Combo: Titan Silver
Default

Thruxton Race Circuit, a right pain to get to from Cov but he knows E36 M3's inside out. He's a really nice chap too.

http://www.west-tuning.com
Covkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2018, 11:27 AM   #24
tim295
Wearing official underwear
 
tim295's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 194
Car: 2002 M3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Covkiller View Post
I haven't posted my remap figures in my post yet but Ray West managed to get 340.3 BPH out of mine. Mods, Pipercross air filter and cat bypass pipes that's it.
Mine made similar tuned by me, 336bhp (on rollers where s54s make more or less factory numbers) - mine's pretty much standard. These seem to make good numbers when cam timing, vanos, clearances etc are all in good fettle.

Didn't really find much on the standard map at the top which I think is quite decent, made a bit at mid rpm. I spent a few hours on the rollers but basically the map I’d made before turning up was pretty close to what I ended up with, I actually made the map less aggressive as it didn’t help power – that’s where the rollers help dial things in. Do you know what yours made before changes to the map and what was done?
I think evoGrant makes an interesting point on the s54 if proposing to spend a bunch on the s50b32 - by going to the s54 you immediately get so many small improvements that would cost you loads to do on the s50, and the ecu is better if you want to run a carbon airbox and go alpha-n etc. Shouldn’t be too difficult to fit either.
I think the power in the s50 and s54 is all in the inlet, cams, vanos/cam timing. I reckon with spikier cams, vanos dialed in to suit the cams and intake mods, the s50/s54 should make similar power. It's much more of a proven path on the s54 though.
tim295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2018, 11:31 AM   #25
Tris
Achieved official socks
 
Tris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,447
Car: E46 M3 and an e36 M3 Evo track car
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim295 View Post
I think evoGrant makes an interesting point on the s54 if proposing to spend a bunch on the s50b32 - by going to the s54 you immediately get so many small improvements that would cost you loads to do on the s50, and the ecu is better if you want to run a carbon airbox and go alpha-n etc. Shouldn’t be too difficult to fit either.
I think the power in the s50 and s54 is all in the inlet, cams, vanos/cam timing. I reckon with spikier cams, vanos dialed in to suit the cams and intake mods, the s50/s54 should make similar power. It's much more of a proven path on the s54 though.
Also agree with this.

When it got to the pint that I wanted more than 350bhp I punted my s50 on for fair money and got into an s54 for much less and strapped a supercharger to it. Getting 540bhp from an s50b32 is impossible for similar money!
Tris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2018, 01:35 PM   #26
JSX
On the path
 
JSX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Horsham
Posts: 102
Car: e36 M3 Evolution
Default

Not sure if this is of interest as it's not an engine modification but probably the most cost effective way to increase the acceleration of the car, but have you considered changing the ratio in your evo diff by swapping the crown wheel and pinion with an e46 M3 one.

I have a e46 M3 3.62 crown wheel and pinion for sale for £120 which would slot straight into your e36 m3 evo diff.
JSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2018, 02:54 PM   #27
firesafety
Wearing official underwear
 
firesafety's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Higham Ferrers
Posts: 224
Car: E36 M3 Evolution
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSX View Post
Not sure if this is of interest as it's not an engine modification but probably the most cost effective way to increase the acceleration of the car, but have you considered changing the ratio in your evo diff by swapping the crown wheel and pinion with an e46 M3 one.

I have a e46 M3 3.62 crown wheel and pinion for sale for £120 which would slot straight into your e36 m3 evo diff.
its got a custom built genuine BMW motorsport 3.91 in it.
firesafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2018, 02:56 PM   #28
firesafety
Wearing official underwear
 
firesafety's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Higham Ferrers
Posts: 224
Car: E36 M3 Evolution
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim295 View Post
Mine made similar tuned by me, 336bhp (on rollers where s54s make more or less factory numbers) - mine's pretty much standard. These seem to make good numbers when cam timing, vanos, clearances etc are all in good fettle.

Didn't really find much on the standard map at the top which I think is quite decent, made a bit at mid rpm. I spent a few hours on the rollers but basically the map I’d made before turning up was pretty close to what I ended up with, I actually made the map less aggressive as it didn’t help power – that’s where the rollers help dial things in. Do you know what yours made before changes to the map and what was done?
I think evoGrant makes an interesting point on the s54 if proposing to spend a bunch on the s50b32 - by going to the s54 you immediately get so many small improvements that would cost you loads to do on the s50, and the ecu is better if you want to run a carbon airbox and go alpha-n etc. Shouldn’t be too difficult to fit either.
I think the power in the s50 and s54 is all in the inlet, cams, vanos/cam timing. I reckon with spikier cams, vanos dialed in to suit the cams and intake mods, the s50/s54 should make similar power. It's much more of a proven path on the s54 though.
so do you do mapping?
firesafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2018, 04:19 PM   #29
Tris
Achieved official socks
 
Tris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,447
Car: E46 M3 and an e36 M3 Evo track car
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by firesafety View Post
what cams would you recommend - as stated it is not a daily, just a track toy so lumpy idle etc no problem. would this mean doing away with vanos? any help greatly appreciated.
I ran Schrick 284/284 iirc which did yield a lump idle (sounded mean af) but I could retain my VANOS.

If you insist on keeping the S50, cams and and airbox are a solid mod for this engine. Power is not the only improvement as the drivability out of a bend is improved because the power goes flawlessly right to the red line meaning you can happily keep the car on song through every gear.
Tris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2018, 08:53 PM   #30
tim295
Wearing official underwear
 
tim295's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 194
Car: 2002 M3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by firesafety View Post
so do you do mapping?
Yup I can map it, would be quite keen to have a go at a modified one with cams and airbox etc!
tim295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2018, 05:01 PM   #31
Mike_VWT5
Achieved official socks
 
Mike_VWT5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,735
Car: 2008 BMW E92 M3
Colour Combo: Space Grey / Fox Red
Default

Just been searching for info on 284 cams, and redlines, and came across this thread. I'm just starting a fresh VAC Stroker build (S50B32), and am using Schrick cams. VAC are of the opinion that this setup is happy running up to 8500rpm (some people run 9k, allegedly). I'm looking to go to about 8200 max, though don't plan on regularly hitting those revs. I have shim-under-buckets, but am curious as to what rev limit people feel the standard springs are good for with standard tappets? In my case, I'll be upping the seat pressure to about 65lbs, and about 190lbs at full lift. I don't want to go mad with springs, and have some VAC ones here that I used before, but the seat pressure with those is about 90lbs, which I feel to be a tad excessive.
Mike_VWT5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2018, 06:51 PM   #32
Iain
Achieved official socks
 
Iain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Isle of man
Posts: 3,512
Car: AMG estate
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_VWT5 View Post
Just been searching for info on 284 cams, and redlines, and came across this thread. I'm just starting a fresh VAC Stroker build (S50B32), and am using Schrick cams. VAC are of the opinion that this setup is happy running up to 8500rpm (some people run 9k, allegedly). I'm looking to go to about 8200 max, though don't plan on regularly hitting those revs. I have shim-under-buckets, but am curious as to what rev limit people feel the standard springs are good for with standard tappets? In my case, I'll be upping the seat pressure to about 65lbs, and about 190lbs at full lift. I don't want to go mad with springs, and have some VAC ones here that I used before, but the seat pressure with those is about 90lbs, which I feel to be a tad excessive.
I cant tell you on the spring pressure to be honest as i have avoided shim under due to the ongoing pain in the arse of setting the clearances. however i ran 8100 on a stock 3.0 head with heavy buckets and shims without issue.

The only rpm issues i have really seen on either the b30 or b32 is that the vibration damper can fail and take the front sprocket with it.
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2018, 12:44 PM   #33
Mike_VWT5
Achieved official socks
 
Mike_VWT5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,735
Car: 2008 BMW E92 M3
Colour Combo: Space Grey / Fox Red
Default

I figured and hoped you would reply Iain, as I know you've done an awful lot of work on yours over the years. Thanks for the reply. I've ordered a set of 0.8mm Motorsport spring shims, which should see the seat pressure increased from the standard 57lbs (IIRC) to about 65lbs. Given your experiences, you've got me toying with fitting a set of normal followers, although I'm not totally averse to having to pull the cams to reshim the VAC/Arrow followers.
Mike_VWT5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2018, 11:18 AM   #34
Iain
Achieved official socks
 
Iain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Isle of man
Posts: 3,512
Car: AMG estate
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_VWT5 View Post
I figured and hoped you would reply Iain, as I know you've done an awful lot of work on yours over the years. Thanks for the reply. I've ordered a set of 0.8mm Motorsport spring shims, which should see the seat pressure increased from the standard 57lbs (IIRC) to about 65lbs. Given your experiences, you've got me toying with fitting a set of normal followers, although I'm not totally averse to having to pull the cams to reshim the VAC/Arrow followers.
i just cant stomach the cam pulling, the gaskets, the leaks that were not there before that miraculously appear once you have put it back together.

the evo lifters are a decent bit lighter that the 3.0 and sit taller so run a thinner shim to get the same clearance. i seem to recall when i weighed them they are something like 20 grams lighter each. without accounting for the reduction in shim weight.

I think a lot depends on the cam profile and its sweep against the shim, rather than just max lift as to if it introduces a lifting motion or steps off the shim sharply to introduce jump

Ideally you would want some sort of circlip or spring clip machined into the buckets with a corresponding recess in the shim to act as a retainer, that way they would be held in, and still be easy to service.

The counter point to this is a suppose the closing speed of the valve, the higher the poundage of the spring the greater the closing speed and the more likely you are to get a shim flicked
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools
Display Modes



All times are GMT. The time now is 05:27 AM.


This website uses cookies. By continuing to use the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about the cookies this website uses, click here.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2007 - 2018 M3cutters. All Rights Reserved.