The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum

Go Back   The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum > M3 and M4 Talk > E36 M3 (1991-1999) and E30 M3 (1986-1990)

Old 4th September 2017, 11:01 AM   #1
v7xst
A mere Chipper

Car: BMW M3 E36 3.2 EVO SMG
Colour Combo: Byzanz Bronze
Lightbulb E36 smg help!

Hi

I know several replies before I get them, no it's not getting converted to manual, yes I am mad, and I think I am nearly there - just need some clever person to provide the last bit of the puzzle - here's hoping!

I bought the pre production M3, E36 EVO in the rare byzanze bronze that BMW had commissioned way back then to show case the E36 SMG. It was used in the showrooms before being sold.

It is in lovely condition but has been sat for 5 years so has had relative issues that have been fettled.

I bought the car knowing it had a gearbox issue and have a fab mechanic that has brought it back to life from symptoms back to what we believe was the original issue.

The car is now back up and running with all the usual replacements done, pump, accumulator, clutch, dual mass, etc, etc. It cycles and bleeds up and drives great until it doesn't need to change gear, the pump does not switch off and it drops into limp mode, (but the pressure is reached correctly - new accumulator)

The mechanic and a BMW techie both think there is a switch that is not cutting in when the pressure is reached and this is where we need help, please!

I am desperate to get this beauty back on the road in it's original, special condition, any ideas?

Many thanks in advance.

V
v7xst is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 4th September 2017, 11:45 AM   #2
jz325i
Wearing official robes

Car: BMW E36 M3 Evo Saloon
Colour Combo: Estoril Blue/Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by v7xst View Post
The mechanic and a BMW techie both think there is a switch that is not cutting in when the pressure is reached and this is where we need help, please!
I suspect the wiring diagrams will help.

I don't know anything specifically about the SMG, but the wiring diagrams tend to show all sensors and actuators for the appropriate system.

Have a look.
jz325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2017, 01:02 PM   #3
Mikescx
Rocking a new hat

Car: 1997 m3 evo saloon, 2004 330ci Clubsport, E30 M3 Evo 2

Quote:
Hi

I know several replies before I get them, no it's not getting converted to manual, yes I am mad, and I think I am nearly there - just need some clever person to provide the last bit of the puzzle - here's hoping!

I bought the pre production M3, E36 EVO in the rare byzanze bronze that BMW had commissioned way back then to show case the E36 SMG. It was used in the showrooms before being sold.

It is in lovely condition but has been sat for 5 years so has had relative issues that have been fettled.

I bought the car knowing it had a gearbox issue and have a fab mechanic that has brought it back to life from symptoms back to what we believe was the original issue.

The car is now back up and running with all the usual replacements done, pump, accumulator, clutch, dual mass, etc, etc. It cycles and bleeds up and drives great until it doesn't need to change gear, the pump does not switch off and it drops into limp mode, (but the pressure is reached correctly - new accumulator)

I am desperate to get this beauty back on the road in it's original, special condition, any ideas?

Many thanks in advance.

V
Once you identify the problem let me know if you need any parts as I have converted 2 to manual and have most SMG spares.
Mikescx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2017, 01:38 PM   #4
v7xst
A mere Chipper

Do you know where I can get wiring diagrams? Also parts is a Great thing to know thank you.

V
Old 4th September 2017, 03:53 PM   #5
Andythegun
On the path

Car: E36 m3 evo amongst others
Colour Combo: Estoril blue, silver interior

Wouldn't be something as trivial as the pump relay sticking could it.
Andythegun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2017, 05:48 PM   #6
jz325i
Wearing official robes

Car: BMW E36 M3 Evo Saloon
Colour Combo: Estoril Blue/Black

search for something like etm e36 pdf
jz325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2017, 06:14 PM   #7
MParallel
Achieved official socks

Car: 1998 M3 SMG cabrio
Colour Combo: Alpinweiss 3 auf Schwarz - 1 of 12

There is a pressure switch located on the pump unit.

But step one, should ALWAYS be a INPA/DIS error readout, which could save you so much from shooting in the dark.

And your not crazy. SMG is cool old tech, high-tech for its time. I'm enjoying it even more now that I installed shift paddles.
MParallel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2017, 10:18 PM   #8
v7xst
A mere Chipper

Default Wow

Well well well, for the first time since I bought her, over a year ago, I have driven the beast!!!! To say the SMG is an acquired taste is an understatement but being old school I love it! Wouldn't want to try park it in a town space!!! Those that have driven one will know why. Anyway, gearbox and all gubbings now rebuilt and painstakingly back to good running order. I was so excited to be buying consumables for its service today, although I know I am going to have a few more little suprises I am so pleased I have managed to save this beauty after being off the road for the last 6 years..... She is a one off and going to be fantastic fun! I'm sure I'll need this forum more and more moving forward but for now I am a happy puppy aiming for "on the road day" which is hopefully eng of November!!
Old 26th September 2017, 11:02 PM   #9
Iain
Achieved official socks

Car: AMG estate

what was actually wrong with it?

other than it being smg
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2017, 01:38 AM   #10
MParallel
Achieved official socks

Lol yeah. Tells us. Could possibly help others in the future.

Now add paddle shifters. This really transforms the driving experience for the better.
Old 11th October 2017, 07:19 PM   #11
v7xst
A mere Chipper

Thanks for all your help and advice, today we had an mot and failed on a trailing arm bush!!! Fabulous news.

Next step is insurance if any one has some suggestions, greatly received.

As promised and with the hope it helps someone else I will detail my BMW journey into the money pit so far!! And for anyone that is interested or fancies a giggle!! I've stopped crying lol.

So I bought the car as a non runner with an idea that the SMG was the issue and potential electrical fries!

We worked back from the presenting issue until we got to the source of the mayhem. So, the SMG ECU had faults and a second hand one with the original made a good one. Relays and switches were replaced and the motor in the pump was stripped and totally refurbished including having new brushes made. A new accumulator, new clutch and dual mass pretty much covered all bases. Hmmmm. Now it ran but as I mentioned as soon as it came to being pressured up the pump would not cut out. It would throw up error messages and drop into limp mode. Key off key on reset it, but only temporarily. Here comes the little blighter original issue!! There was a wire that was permanently earthing stopping the pressure switch cutting the pump off when up to pressure. My mechanic spliced the wire to find the issue, job done! On top of fixing the SMG I have had a few extra essentials done along the way....
Bonnet struts
Bonnet switch
Brake shield rebuilt
New discs and pads all round
New brake sensors
New handbrake shoes
New track rod ends
New fuel pump
New front lower arms
Repair exhaust
New fuel lines
Full service, new filters, flushes, new plugs etc.
New Avon rubber all round
New battery
I'm starting to feel light headed just writing all this lot down.....

Next trip is to the paint shop, there are some very small scabs on the base of the boot lid, a scratch on the bonnet and rear arches are just showing very small signs bubbles... Going to get it all fettled now.

It has done 11 miles in the last 6 years, it did 9 of them last week on trade plates just to keep me excited!!!!

I can't wait for the next couple of weeks to be this close after a year feels brilliant.

The only 2 things I can say about the driving experience so far is, [email protected]@@ing awesome sound, and there is no way you could park it up town, aggressive!!!

Can't wait to post some pics for you all to see what I am blathering on about.

Thanks again.

V x
Old 11th October 2017, 09:32 PM   #12
markwg
Wearing official underwear

Car: 1997 BMW M3 Evo saloon 2003 Alfa 156 GTA SW 2001 Alpina B10 V8, 2015 Fiesta Red Edition
Colour Combo: Siver/black Blue/black Black/black Red/Grey

Is it a saloon? If so I remember seeing it advertised, glorious colour, well done for saving it!
markwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2017, 08:07 AM   #13
v7xst
A mere Chipper

Yes it's the saloon. Apparently only 2 of this colour and the only one commissioned with the SMG. I have had it verified by BMW that it was prepared as a showroom edition meaning due to its year it was a pre production vehicle to show case the SMG - hence why I had to make sure it was recomossioned with the SMG. Now to get it on the road and have some fun! Inside especially the back looks like it's never been sat In!
Any advice on places to take it to meet others local to Yorkshire would be welcomed.
Old 12th October 2017, 01:31 PM   #14
kyrix1st
Wearing official robes

Car: E36 M3 evo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain View Post
what was actually wrong with it?

other than it being smg
This is too gold not to say in every smg thread.
kyrix1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2017, 03:01 PM   #15
MParallel
Achieved official socks

Quote:
There was a wire that was permanently earthing stopping the pressure switch cutting the pump off when up to pressure.
You gotta love/hate those bodge job pervious owner shortcuts that can make it so hard to troubleshoot. But then again, this is an easy fix.

Great job.

Maybe I miss the point, but why can't you park it up town?
Old 12th October 2017, 09:35 PM   #16
v7xst
A mere Chipper

Parking.... Slightly aggressive so would be more touch parking than skilled inch perfect!!!!

What do you mean too gold? I maybe a little nieve here!

Yes, unfortunately previous player was actor so clued up mechanic, but hey ho I've had fun tracking and thinking about its problems but the main star who has spent a lot of old school time unpicking this is Dave at Car Master in Harrogate. If you ask him it's been a labour of love and think he is now looking forward to the divorce ! Especially the settlement!

V X
Old 12th October 2017, 11:29 PM   #17
MParallel
Achieved official socks

Too gold? I have no clue what you mean. Did I say that?

I have no problem with parking. Clutch engagement is super smooth. You’ll learn it over time. And make sure to bleed it regularly.
Old 14th October 2017, 08:46 PM   #18
markwg
Wearing official underwear

Car: 1997 BMW M3 Evo saloon 2003 Alfa 156 GTA SW 2001 Alpina B10 V8, 2015 Fiesta Red Edition
Colour Combo: Siver/black Blue/black Black/black Red/Grey

Quote:
Yes it's the saloon. Apparently only 2 of this colour and the only one commissioned with the SMG. I have had it verified by BMW that it was prepared as a showroom edition meaning due to its year it was a pre production vehicle to show case the SMG - hence why I had to make sure it was recomossioned with the SMG. Now to get it on the road and have some fun! Inside especially the back looks like it's never been sat In! .
That's a very unusual beastie then, I don't think the saloon smg was ever officially imported into the UK. Congrats & enjoy, would love to see it one day 👍
markwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2017, 06:51 AM   #19
v7xst
A mere Chipper

Default Not quite there.....

So she's back and is awesome however I'm unable to select semi auto. Everything else appears to be fine although the gear change in auto feels a little different delayed but the power is aggressive!!! When you push the gear lever to the left it moves across but continues in auto mode and no s is showing on the dash board.... Thinking switch??
Again any help would be appreciated.... Pics to follow. How do I upload a pic?

Thanks

V

Last edited by v7xst; 20th October 2017 at 07:09 AM. Reason: Can't upload a pic.
Old 20th October 2017, 06:59 AM   #20
E46CoupeM3
Achieved official socks

Car: 2001 BMW M3
Colour Combo: Carbon Black

INPA would allow you to see if the switches are working in the digital or analogie values
There is also a chance the activate functions will let you select it
E46CoupeM3 is offline   Reply With Quote