The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum

Go Back   The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum > M3cutters Garage > Track-days

Old 21st June 2018, 06:25 AM   #61
JC7
A mere Chipper

Car: 2016 F80 M3 DCT

So guys it seems weíve established that crank hub spinning is real however judging by the amount of people that actually know about it or happened too itís far and few between. I would probably say that I could map my M3 2016 and be ok but itís of course a risk. One thing I have found out is the N54 and N55 also have the free floating crank hub. My N55 335i was mapped to 410hp and I never had any issues apart from an injector and water pump. No mechanical engine issues.

I have found a couple of repair fixes if people are wanting to tune like myself. The first is the Vargas bolt capture http://performance.vargasturbo.com/e...=83&search=S55 Iíll be honest Iím not sure how much this will help as I donít think itís the bolt coming loose is the issue, I think itís the stalling on the vibration damper during kickingdown or high rpm gear change that causes the whole hub / damper shocking then undoing itself. Surely the bolt capture would just undo with the crank hub / damper plus potentially worsen the issue by adding weight (small amount I know). If it is just the bolt that loosens then it could work.

Next fix is this http://gintani.com/product/gintani-f...-hub-solution/ bloody expensive and I wonder how strong the keyway is. Also itís a big job and if your not technically minded you would need to shell out a fair few £1000ís to sort an issue that might never happen. Would be good if a tuning company in the UK could start offering a fix for the issue or even a package deal like decat, filters, stage 2 and crank bolt fix. Just an idea... Evolve?
JC7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 21st June 2018, 07:26 AM   #62
e46dave
Rocking a new hat

Car: 2006 BMW E46 M3
Colour Combo: Black / Red

Was a great day, awesome weather, great people and an all out fantastic day.
Loads of banter, but the red flags were a bit of a joke. 10 by lunch I think it was.
We even had a second briefing in the afternoon as so many people were getting pissed if by it.
Managed to find the limitnof the slicks which I was pleased with, but I’m amazed at how capable the car is. Was some quick laps in there.
Billy, your car was superb on those zestinos, proper decent tyre for the money.
Car ran well all day which was a nice surprise as I was unsure how it would go after a bizarre issue at brands.

Massive thanks to malc and matt for helping me get the slicks off at the end of a long day.

Somehow I lost my locking wheel nut key during the day and no one had the same sized one.
So greatful for you guys helping me out in getting it off or would have been a 2 hour drive home on the slicks.
Look forward to the next one guys, malc, matt, I owe you a cheeky breakfast next time!
e46dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2018, 07:31 AM   #63
e46dave
Rocking a new hat

Old 21st June 2018, 10:18 AM   #64
billyboym3
Achieved official socks

Car: 2004 BMW M3
Colour Combo: E46 M3

Snetterton with Opentrack June 2018 by BS, on Flickr
billyboym3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2018, 11:57 AM   #65
JC7
A mere Chipper

Car: 2016 F80 M3 DCT

Sorry guys my bad had 2 pages loaded and put my quote on the wrong page!! ��
JC7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2018, 03:10 PM   #66
Matthead
Achieved official socks

Car: E36 328 S54
Colour Combo: White/black

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46dave View Post
Was a great day, awesome weather, great people and an all out fantastic day.
Loads of banter, but the red flags were a bit of a joke. 10 by lunch I think it was.
We even had a second briefing in the afternoon as so many people were getting pissed if by it.
Managed to find the limitnof the slicks which I was pleased with, but Iím amazed at how capable the car is. Was some quick laps in there.
Billy, your car was superb on those zestinos, proper decent tyre for the money.
Car ran well all day which was a nice surprise as I was unsure how it would go after a bizarre issue at brands.

Massive thanks to malc and matt for helping me get the slicks off at the end of a long day.

Somehow I lost my locking wheel nut key during the day and no one had the same sized one.
So greatful for you guys helping me out in getting it off or would have been a 2 hour drive home on the slicks.
Look forward to the next one guys, malc, matt, I owe you a cheeky breakfast next time!
Hi Dave, good to meet you at snett, your car looks ace, goes well too
Glad I was there to help you out mate, at one point you looked like you had lost the will to live haha! Please tell me the key is still lost and you havenít found it
Matthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2018, 09:50 AM   #67
Ripper46
Achieved official socks

Car: E46 M3 track car
Colour Combo: White, with spires colours and logos

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyboym3 View Post
Awesome shot
Ripper46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2018, 09:53 AM   #68
Raif
Achieved official socks

Car: E92 M3, 5 series daily, bikes

There was loads of E46s and all were going very well and made a wicked noise. The guys i met in the garage were a good bunch of guys
This was my e92 Silverstone blue

Raif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2018, 09:59 AM   #69
billyboym3
Achieved official socks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raif View Post
There was loads of E46s and all were going very well and made a wicked noise. The guys i met in the garage were a good bunch of guys
This was my e92 Silverstone blue

Yes, good to catch up. Was it you that popped into our garage for a chat?

Billy
Old 22nd June 2018, 12:22 PM   #70
e46dave
Rocking a new hat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthead View Post
Hi Dave, good to meet you at snett, your car looks ace, goes well too
Glad I was there to help you out mate, at one point you looked like you had lost the will to live haha! Please tell me the key is still lost and you havenít found it
Yeah, I was pretty tired, and it was the last thing I needed, just wanted to get on my way home, and I really am greatful for you guys helping. Would have been stuffed with out you, so again, thank you!

Can confirm that the key is still lost haha, god only knows how, I had it there earlier in the day so can only assume itís somewhere around the circuit and I must have left it in the wheel
Iíve since put studs all round now so that canít happen again!

Really enjoyed the day though, and look forward to the next one.
Old 22nd June 2018, 05:09 PM   #71
billyboym3
Achieved official socks

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46dave View Post
Yeah, I was pretty tired, and it was the last thing I needed, just wanted to get on my way home, and I really am greatful for you guys helping. Would have been stuffed with out you, so again, thank you!

Can confirm that the key is still lost haha, god only knows how, I had it there earlier in the day so can only assume itís somewhere around the circuit and I must have left it in the wheel
Iíve since put studs all round now so that canít happen again!

Really enjoyed the day though, and look forward to the next one.
Well up for the next one
Old 22nd June 2018, 05:26 PM   #72
Raif
Achieved official socks

Car: E92 M3, 5 series daily, bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyboym3 View Post
Yes, good to catch up. Was it you that popped into our garage for a chat?

Billy
Yes mate that was me. Good to meet you guys and glad you got the motor sorted.

Me and the old boy a proper laugh would love to do it again but I'm resisting the urge to spend money on better tyres brakes suspension its a slippery slope
Raif is offline   Reply With Quote