The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum
 

Go Back   The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum > M3cutters Garage > Engine maintenance, upgrades and modifications



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th September 2017, 02:38 PM   #1
Mrd1984
On the path
 
Mrd1984's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Oxford
Posts: 130
Car: 2001 laguna seca blue coupe
Default engine rebuild pricing

Hi guys,

So im pricing up all the parts to rebuild my M3 engine.

Just trawled ebay for various parts and came across some (probably Chinese) con rods called maxspeedingrods h beam conrods.

Don't worry, I don't plan on buying anything this cheap and nasty but wanted to know if anyone else has been brave enough to build an engine with this spurious brand.
Mrd1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 14th September 2017, 03:00 PM   #2
DaveMSport
Achieved official socks
 
DaveMSport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,466
Car: E46 M3 Individual, E36 M3 track car, Landrover Defender E53 X5, E38 730, E30 318is, E30 Mtec touring
Colour Combo: Techno Violet/silver gray
Default

Haven't seen their conrods but know people using they're coilovers on an E36 M3 Drift car and they seem to be ok.
I'd be slow to use the rods though as even if they're cheap, the difference between them and tried and tested quality ones isn't huge compared to the overall cost of building an engine if renewing a good bit of it
DaveMSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2017, 08:47 PM   #3
Mrd1984
On the path
 
Mrd1984's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Oxford
Posts: 130
Car: 2001 laguna seca blue coupe
Default

Just going to revive this one...

Has anyone here had their engines rebuilt recently. Our E46's are all gaining miles. Mine certainly has!

Im interested in knowing what others have paid and been quoted.
and what the quotes entailed.
Mrd1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2017, 09:32 PM   #4
7DT
Rocking a new hat
 
7DT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: London
Posts: 469
Car: 2002 BMW M3
Colour Combo: Carbon Black / Black
Default

Same here. I'm looking at a rebuild and it's be nice to have an idea of cost and time and options.
7DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2017, 01:37 PM   #5
Iain
Achieved official socks
 
Iain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Isle of man
Posts: 3,183
Car: AMG estate
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMSport View Post
Haven't seen their conrods but know people using they're coilovers on an E36 M3 Drift car and they seem to be ok.
I'd be slow to use the rods though as even if they're cheap, the difference between them and tried and tested quality ones isn't huge compared to the overall cost of building an engine if renewing a good bit of it
apparently the rods are good but the bolts are not to be trusted.

I will give them a punt on the next engine, some very credible people have suggested they are surprisingly good but that they had a bolt failure and question if the bolts are genuine.

I am not going to name names as i don't think its fair given that this was a conversation had in good faith with a lot of information given.

Either way, I was surprised, and will be putting my money where my mouth is, but will be sourcing bolts independently.
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2017, 01:58 PM   #6
DaveMSport
Achieved official socks
 
DaveMSport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,466
Car: E46 M3 Individual, E36 M3 track car, Landrover Defender E53 X5, E38 730, E30 318is, E30 Mtec touring
Colour Combo: Techno Violet/silver gray
Default

yup, like everything bought from China, don't trust their fasteners if in a critical application
DaveMSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2017, 10:34 AM   #7
Mrd1984
On the path
 
Mrd1984's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Oxford
Posts: 130
Car: 2001 laguna seca blue coupe
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain View Post
apparently the rods are good but the bolts are not to be trusted.

I will give them a punt on the next engine, some very credible people have suggested they are surprisingly good but that they had a bolt failure and question if the bolts are genuine.

I am not going to name names as i don't think its fair given that this was a conversation had in good faith with a lot of information given.

Either way, I was surprised, and will be putting my money where my mouth is, but will be sourcing bolts independently.
Interesting. Were these rods used for a standard road car or was it for track use?
Mrd1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2017, 01:45 PM   #8
Mrd1984
On the path
 
Mrd1984's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Oxford
Posts: 130
Car: 2001 laguna seca blue coupe
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain View Post
apparently the rods are good but the bolts are not to be trusted.

I will give them a punt on the next engine, some very credible people have suggested they are surprisingly good but that they had a bolt failure and question if the bolts are genuine.

I am not going to name names as i don't think its fair given that this was a conversation had in good faith with a lot of information given.

Either way, I was surprised, and will be putting my money where my mouth is, but will be sourcing bolts independently.
Any idea on how heavy they are compared to a known brand like arrow?
Mrd1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2017, 02:26 PM   #9
cossie1
Achieved official socks
 
cossie1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,008
Car: 2002 M3 Coupe
Colour Combo: Jet Black / Black
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrd1984 View Post
Any idea on how heavy they are compared to a known brand like arrow?
They will weigh a ****ton (true actual measurment) compared to Arrow.

But then they are (without looking) probably about 1/10th of the price of Arrow too
cossie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2017, 03:31 PM   #10
Racer
Wearing official underwear
 
Racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Essex
Posts: 295
Car: M3 Coupe/240z/mr2 Iebacks/Powerflex. 10/15 mil spacers. Evolve Alpha N remap. Clubsport. Eur tips.
Colour Combo: Silver Grey/Red Leather
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrd1984 View Post
Hi guys,

So im pricing up all the parts to rebuild my M3 engine.

Just trawled ebay for various parts and came across some (probably Chinese) con rods called maxspeedingrods h beam conrods.

Don't worry, I don't plan on buying anything this cheap and nasty but wanted to know if anyone else has been brave enough to build an engine with this spurious brand.

I have a set of these in my 240z track car, and you will be surprized how good they are. My mate has also built 3 engines with these rods and has had no issues.

Now if you were thinking about supercharging then something a bit beefier might be a wise move.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2017, 01:19 AM   #11
Iain
Achieved official socks
 
Iain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Isle of man
Posts: 3,183
Car: AMG estate
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrd1984 View Post
Any idea on how heavy they are compared to a known brand like arrow?
I don't want to go into too much detail as people will make judgments without thinking as per usual.

However the information i was given came from a very respected and well known race engine builder who had spark erosion tests carried out on them and found that the actual materials were better than those of arrow etc (i **** you not) now bear in mind that just because the material is "better is better does not automatically make it better for the application and does not take into account the design of the rod. For example you Dont make a block from titanium for good reasons, but by most measurable tests titanium is a "better" material.

Anyway, cir 20 race engines built with the max rods with one fastener failure.

I am going to give them a go on the current engine build. But thats my choice, not me saying that they should be yours.
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2017, 04:36 PM   #12
Mrd1984
On the path
 
Mrd1984's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Oxford
Posts: 130
Car: 2001 laguna seca blue coupe
Default

thats very interesting!

So basically they are fine to use as long as you're not going to charge the engine and use different fasteners.

I take back my laughing mutley!!

Im pulling the engine soon and this comes a quite refreshing news. I might try and buy an individual rod and get our stress department at work to see what they are like.

thanks for your input.

I will of course update if i do test one of these in R&D
Mrd1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2017, 06:41 PM   #13
Iain
Achieved official socks
 
Iain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Isle of man
Posts: 3,183
Car: AMG estate
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrd1984 View Post
thats very interesting!

So basically they are fine to use as long as you're not going to charge the engine and use different fasteners.

I take back my laughing mutley!!

Im pulling the engine soon and this comes a quite refreshing news. I might try and buy an individual rod and get our stress department at work to see what they are like.

thanks for your input.

I will of course update if i do test one of these in R&D
please do, it would be interesting to know others thoughts.

I make no claims that they are any good, simply that i have been told by a reputable source that they are and that there was no commercial gain in them passing this information to me.
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2017, 12:44 AM   #14
Iain
Achieved official socks
 
Iain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Isle of man
Posts: 3,183
Car: AMG estate
Default

well mine have arrived.

I have checked then dimensionally and they measure fine. On calibrated scales they weigh to within 0.7g of each other so well within the claimed 1gram spec
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools
Display Modes



All times are GMT. The time now is 01:59 AM.


This website uses cookies. By continuing to use the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about the cookies this website uses, click here.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2007 - 2014 M3cutters. All Rights Reserved.