The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum

Go Back   The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum > M3 and M4 Talk > E90 Saloon / E92 Coupe / E93 Convertible M3 (2008-2013)

Old 15th April 2014, 04:35 PM   #21
chris2712
Achieved official socks

Car: A shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Cheers mate - I know the buttons and date it changed (was late 2008 build onward actually) but what are the actual advantages of the later system and what are the differences in performance/interface?

I know it can be retrofitted in either two ways:
1) Part conversion: just the CIC controller
2) Full CIC conversion: controller AND replacement of old DVD drive with hard drive

How much (roughly) will each option cost?

Is it the same retrofit conversion regardless of what audio system you have?

Thanks for any answers
All i know having only owned one for a short space of time is that the CIC had a hard drive, maps, music etc can be loaded onto this, the UI is much easier to navigate around, the old CCC style I found a bit clunky to get around

As for retrofitting i'm not 100%, it's not going to be cheap unless you run into a bit of luck and find some very cheap, best bet is have a look around here, it's been mentioned before. I was looking into upgrading my CIC to one with DAB/TVTuner etc but it was looking like in total it was going to be around 1k includig the combox which just wasn't worth it for what I got

Alpina527 seems to be the man to answer these questions for you
chris2712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 15th April 2014, 04:47 PM   #22
stevens
Achieved official socks

Car: BMW M3 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Cheers mate - I know the buttons and date it changed (was late 2008 build onward actually) but what are the actual advantages of the later system and what are the differences in performance/interface?

I know it can be retrofitted in either two ways:
1) Part conversion: just the CIC controller
2) Full CIC conversion: controller AND replacement of old DVD drive with hard drive

How much (roughly) will each option cost?

Is it the same retrofit conversion regardless of what audio system you have?

Thanks for any answers
Sept 2008 build had the newer CIC IIRC

You can fit just the CIC controller as long as your firmware is up to date, easy way to check is just plug in the new controller (and center console) and see if it works. if not you need to get the dealer to update your software, do this before fiitting CIC and put your CCC controller back in otherwise it will fail.

CIC can be had from 600-1000 depending who/when and if it has DAB or correct software for combox etc.

Console trim is circa 200 and controller is 80-200 depending on where you get it from.
stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2014, 12:29 PM   #23
JwilliamsM
Achieved official socks

Car: F80 M3, S500 Coupe, Abarth 500, Clubman JCW, Mk7 Golf R
Colour Combo: Signal Green - Full Black Merino

havent seen much about the audio systems?
JwilliamsM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2014, 10:19 AM   #24
C2VNY
Achieved official socks

Car: e90m3 Clubsport

Quote:
Originally Posted by snerkler View Post
^^ Agreed

Although I wouldn't call this (or the E46 one) a buyers guide per se, but more a wiki/information page. Great idea nonetheless.

I think a 'buyers guide' should contain information such as (obviously you don't have to use any of this if you don't want ):-

As with any car the arguably the most important factors are condition, history and service history.

There is no such thing as an essential optional extra, only personal preference. Obviously the higher the spec the more resale value it will have when you come to sell it, but the more it would cost in the first instance. You may find that you have a broader spectrum of buyers for those cars with the higher spec, but providing the car is well looked after there should be no difficulty in selling it regardless of spec.

Choosing between a manual gear box and the M-DCT gear box is again down to preference, although the M-DCT has converted many die hard manual drivers.

The M-DCT gear box can be set to auto, or (clutch pedal-less) manual. In manual mode you change gear by either using the flappy paddles attached to the steering wheel, or by the gear stick which you press forward to change down, and push backwards to change up. Do not confuse M-DCT with other autos/semi autos as it is in a class of its own. It has two proper clutches (as opposed to torque converters), each controlling half the gear box. One clutch controls the even gears, one clutch the odd gears allowing the next gear to be pre-selected leading to lightening fast gear changes. You really should class it as a clutch pedal-less manual as opposed to a semi automatic gearbox, both in terms of performance and operation.

When you first drive the E9x M3 the first thing to realise is that there are 2 primary settings, key setting and M mode, in which you can choose your desired preferences in terms of performance and handling. Whilst it can be a little daunting choosing your preferences, once set you do not have to change these again (unless you choose to) and you can switch from key setting to M mode by pressing the m button on the steering wheel.

You change the following settings in m Mode as follows:-

Throttle response (Confusingly called Power even though no changes to the car's BHP is made). You can choose Normal, sport and sport plus. In sport plus the car comes alive and feels like a true M car.

Steering weight/sensitivity/feedback (servotronic): Can be set to normal and sport. When set to sport it makes the steering heavier, especially at speed, and also improves feedback through the wheel.

Gear shift aggressiveness (Drivelogic with M-DCT): Settings 1-6 (6 is only available when DSC is turned off). In the higher settings the gear changes become progressively more aggressive, and you get more blips on downshift.

EDC setting (if you have it): Comfort, normal and sport. Comfort makes the suspension relatively soft, whilst sport makes it very firm.

Traction/stability control (DSC): On, M-Dynamic mode (MDM), & Off. When on DSC is fully active. When set to MDM DSC is more active but allows more slip before it kicks in. When off there are no driver aids accept ABS.

In key setting you can set the following:-

Throttle response (Power): Normal and Sport only, you cannot can't select sport plus

Servotronic not available

DSC: On or off, MDM cannot be set. (Not configurable in the iDrive, only via the DSC button)

EDC as above.

Running costs are extremely high with this vehicle in terms of servicing, tyres, fuel, warranty and insurance. Expect around 18mpg from day to day driving, unless living in London where it is more likely to be 12-15mpg.

Numerous limited edition and individual models have been released since the e9x M3 was introduced. Normally these will have special/individual paint, a unique interior including coloured 'highlights' in the leather, as well as contrast stitching and individual trim. Often there are extra external cosmetic changes such as black wheels, black bonnet vent surrounds, black side repeaters and black exhaust tips. If it's a limited edition you may well find a plaque or etching on the interior trim telling you how many were made, and which build number the car is.

that's brilliant
C2VNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2015, 12:19 PM   #25
Lesw23
Achieved official socks

Car: M3 CS E46 2006
Colour Combo: Black/cinnamon

The bit I'm in the dark about is the various settings through CIC they and handbook does not cover everything

When I first got the car I wanted to change something and only found it through forums which told me to move DCT leaver to the right to get more options, I cannot even remember what it was now
Lesw23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2015, 12:53 PM   #26
WinFreak
Achieved official socks

Car: 2011 E92 M3 DCT ZCP
Colour Combo: Mineral White / Black

That's made me curious now.

I've taken a while before I found how to change the key settings but managed to find everything else I think.
WinFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2015, 08:09 AM   #27
Rosetta335
Achieved official socks

Car: 2003 BMW M3 Manual Coupe
Colour Combo: Titanium Silver/Black Nappa

See my other post BMWCAR Magazine April 15 out now,should help as a M3 V8 buyers guide features in it .
Rosetta335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2015, 07:59 PM   #28
Bugsy27
Wearing official robes

Car: E92 BMW M3
Colour Combo: Space Grey / Black

I've found this thread really useful for finding information out about the E9x

Is there a thread on here on the extras for the E9x?

I know it's personal opinion but I'm trying to get my head around the different options and what to keep an eye out for
Bugsy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2015, 06:46 PM   #29
panthro
Achieved official socks

Car: E46 M3 CS Manual
Colour Combo: Silver Grey with Imola Red Leather

What happened to that guy Snerkler? He used to be on here all the time now he's disappeared.
panthro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2015, 01:52 PM   #30
stankdaddy
Wearing official underwear

Car: M6, RS2, 360 Challenge

Very helpful info, in the works of buying a e92 m3, this will help
stankdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2015, 08:22 AM   #31
bpman
Rocking a new hat

Car: E92 M3; F20 125d M-Sport;
Colour Combo: Mineral White; estoril blue

Options are options, so not really necessary just add style, weight and convenience to your car..

I've just bought my second e92 and when hunting I looked for the following

- DCT
- DAB
- competition package
- MPE

It also has the storage package, individual paint, satin 359's, front splitters (not keen) and rear carbon spoiler, black chrome kidneys, black chrome side indicators, split armrest

In addition to AUC check .. I checked ..

- I went right over all the paint work
- inspected underneath on the garage ramp, looking for any signs of damage, grass, loose fittings
- inside boot and under the carpet
- dropped the rear seats down and checked
- under bonnet, checked for mat paint, build wax, hoses, fixings
- radiator for signs of wildlife
- wheels / tyres
- moved seats front and back and checked carpet and wiring
- carbon roof for any signs of scratches or damage
- checked DAB
- checked security upgrade installed (key in door method)
- checked cic settings, vehicle info

HTH
bpman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2015, 01:11 PM   #32
Caveman73
Wearing official underwear

Car: 2013 M3 Comp Pack
Colour Combo: Alpine white

Worth adding some information about the ex Palmersport track cars that are sold as AUC cars through the BMW network. Through an arrangement between BMW UK and Palmersport, BMW effectively 'lend' Palmersport batches of about 20 white BMW M3s (and now M4s) for exclusive use at their 'M3 Master' experience days at Oulton Park and Brands Hatch. Participants normally get two 15 minute track drives in the M3, with an instructor, followed by a flying lap with the instructor driving. As you can imagine these cars have led short, but hard lives.

The cars are sold on through closed auction to dealers in the BMW network after roughly two years of track use. Most cars have very low mileage, normally under 10k miles.

The way to spot these cars is as follows:

- The e92 M3s are always Alpine white
- Y registered
- Owned by BMW UK from new
- Service history by BMW UK, not a main dealer
- Identical mid level spec including 19" wheels, DCT, EDC, carbon structure trim, folding mirrors, heated seats, F/R parking sensors, black novillo leather
Caveman73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2015, 06:32 AM   #33
bpman
Rocking a new hat

Car: E92 M3; F20 125d M-Sport;
Colour Combo: Mineral White; estoril blue

Although really you should not have to, but from my experience of buying from a dealer, check the mileage, the mileage on the mot and the mileage on the sales invoice. Somehow they even managed to screw that up,.. They did fix it

Be very careful with dealers, the salesmen all have shiney suits and cuflinks but some might as well sell toilet roll for the good they are.
bpman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2016, 12:42 PM   #34
jonLT
Wearing official robes

Car: 2007 E92 M3
Colour Combo: Space Grey / black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveman73 View Post
Worth adding some information about the ex Palmersport track cars that are sold as AUC cars through the BMW network. Through an arrangement between BMW UK and Palmersport, BMW effectively 'lend' Palmersport batches of about 20 white BMW M3s (and now M4s) for exclusive use at their 'M3 Master' experience days at Oulton Park and Brands Hatch. Participants normally get two 15 minute track drives in the M3, with an instructor, followed by a flying lap with the instructor driving. As you can imagine these cars have led short, but hard lives.

The cars are sold on through closed auction to dealers in the BMW network after roughly two years of track use. Most cars have very low mileage, normally under 10k miles.

The way to spot these cars is as follows:

- The e92 M3s are always Alpine white
- Y registered
- Owned by BMW UK from new
- Service history by BMW UK, not a main dealer
- Identical mid level spec including 19" wheels, DCT, EDC, carbon structure trim, folding mirrors, heated seats, F/R parking sensors, black novillo leather
Are we sure all the palmer cars are DCT?
jonLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2016, 01:25 PM   #35
MaximumBob
Achieved official socks

Car: 2017 M4 CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonLT View Post
Are we sure all the palmer cars are DCT?
Pretty sure yes.

Also:
The first CiC cars with HDDs were built for the 2009 model year, so cars built from Aug 2008 onwards should have this feature...CiC cars are more desirable and tend to fetch a premium over earlier cars.
On optional extras:
Competition pack: 1/2" suspension drop, a different set of wheels and an EDC settings change for Sport mode, which went from passive to active. Other EDC settings remained the same...Comp pack cars fetch quite a premium, out of proportion to what you get IMO but thats the market.
DCT: somewhere around 90% of E9x M3s came with DCT once it was released, if you fancy a manual they should be significantly cheaper than the same spec'ed DCT car.
19" wheels: A very popular option, if the car you want doesn't have them you can at least buy a set.
Sun protection glass: blacked rear windows - a popular option sets the look of the car off especially when white.
Parking sensors: Rear parking sensors are very handy...as are the front ones, the trouble when you have both is that there is a lot of beeping going on when in a tight space which a bit distracting.
EDC: I've had a car with and without...can't say I am that fussed about it, its OK but once the initial phase of button pressing has passed, it just gets left in one setting. Usually EDC cars attract a premium over non EDC cars.
Folding mirrors: Have them, never used them ever. Handy though if you park on a main road. Can be coded to fold on key lock.
Heated seats: Worth it just for those cold mornings.
Bluetooth and centre armrest USB port: Pretty much essential.
Colour: Frozen colour cars fetch a hefty premium. In standard colours, white is by far the most popular and was the most ordered colour. Red was the least ordered colour.
MaximumBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2016, 01:47 PM   #36
jonLT
Wearing official robes

Car: 2007 E92 M3
Colour Combo: Space Grey / black

Thanks Bob.

Do we know if there were any manual competition packs / frozen cars (I'm pretty sure frozen were all DCT?)
jonLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2016, 09:03 PM   #37
Ant Man
Achieved official socks

Car: E92 M3 Individual with Competition Package
Colour Combo: Santorini Blue / black with blue stitching

Understand what the running costs are before buying - can you afford to use the correct oils, parts and tyres.

Too many people trying to run m3 on a shoestring, with cheap tyres, inferior parts, lack of proper servicing, etc. A travesty - these cars deserve so much better.
Ant Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2016, 11:09 PM   #38
makavelli
Achieved official socks

Car: LCI E92 M3 DCT Mineral White/Fox Red & Audi A8 3.0TDI White/Black

@Caveman73 or anyone else know if there is there any way to find out for sure if a car is an ex palmersport car?
makavelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2016, 03:19 PM   #39
V8EDD
Achieved official socks

Car: 2008 E92 M3 DCT
Colour Combo: Silverstone/Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximumBob View Post
Pretty sure yes.

Also:
The first CiC cars with HDDs were built for the 2009 model year, so cars built from Aug 2008 onwards should have this feature...CiC cars are more desirable and tend to fetch a premium over earlier cars.
On optional extras:
Competition pack: 1/2" suspension drop, a different set of wheels and an EDC settings change for Sport mode, which went from passive to active. Other EDC settings remained the same...Comp pack cars fetch quite a premium, out of proportion to what you get IMO but thats the market.
DCT: somewhere around 90% of E9x M3s came with DCT once it was released, if you fancy a manual they should be significantly cheaper than the same spec'ed DCT car.
19" wheels: A very popular option, if the car you want doesn't have them you can at least buy a set.
Sun protection glass: blacked rear windows - a popular option sets the look of the car off especially when white.
Parking sensors: Rear parking sensors are very handy...as are the front ones, the trouble when you have both is that there is a lot of beeping going on when in a tight space which a bit distracting.
EDC: I've had a car with and without...can't say I am that fussed about it, its OK but once the initial phase of button pressing has passed, it just gets left in one setting. Usually EDC cars attract a premium over non EDC cars.
Folding mirrors: Have them, never used them ever. Handy though if you park on a main road. Can be coded to fold on key lock.
Heated seats: Worth it just for those cold mornings.
Bluetooth and centre armrest USB port: Pretty much essential.
Colour: Frozen colour cars fetch a hefty premium. In standard colours, white is by far the most popular and was the most ordered colour. Red was the least ordered colour.
Later Idrive was from September 2008. Mine is the very first one. PY38093, check it out on that vin checker. Chassis number before (PY38092) has the earlier system.

PY38093 build date 01/09/2008 (My car) Newer Idrive

image by Eddie Marriott, on Flickr

PY38092 build date 30/08/2008 Older Idrive

Last edited by V8EDD; 3rd April 2016 at 03:41 PM.
V8EDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2016, 08:30 PM   #40
Rumski43
On the path

Car: 2011 e92 M3 Comp Pack
Colour Combo: Alpine White / Black

Thanks guys, great start to my research for an e92, sorry for sounding dumb but what is Cic/CCC?
Rumski43 is offline   Reply With Quote