The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum

Go Back   The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum > M3 and M4 Talk > E90 Saloon / E92 Coupe / E93 Convertible M3 (2008-2013)

Old 13th January 2018, 11:04 AM   #1
Arjuanamo
On the path

Car: BMW E93 M3 6MT
Colour Combo: Mineral white / Fox Red
Arrow My Experience with the Evolve over run map and the potential damage of it :(

Morning fellow Cutters ,

So I got an evolve map about 2 Months ago and decided to go for the full works and include every option they offered ( engine tune ,servotronic , top speed removal , over run , cold start delete )

I could feel a noticeable change in the throttle response and the aggressiveness of the engine when giving the car a proper drive. I had a primary decat 8 months ago and had got an AMD map at the time
due to a good deal but after calling them back , they refused to remove the cold start or do an over run map for me

On their dyno my car went from 420 to 441 bhp .Interestingly when I had the evolve map it went from 417 to 431 bhp which was due to the different dyno’s I suppose . I was shocked as I thought I had the AMD map on there for the last 8 months but evolve said the dealer might of wiped it when you went to them for some diagnostics .

My main concern and love is with the over run map . It is one of the main reason that I got the map done from them and with the exhaust mod it is absolute perfection . I will post some videos soon on the thread .

I would describe the pops as being louder and more distinctive than the typical turbo factory pops you get on all modern day cars . The best thing about them is that you can choose to have them whenever you want . The main time you get them is when you rev out the car past 4K (minimum ) in any gear , then let the revs drop and a few pops and bangs will appear . One thing to note is that the exhaust must be hot for them to occur and if you tap the throttle ever so slightly as the revs are dropping then you will definitely get them . Usually it’s about 2/5 pops but once in a blue moon I get a cluster of 10 which usually happen in 2nd gear around 4/6 k .

It’s quite addictive and i have make sure I get a few every day since I got the map to please the mind body and soul . I would honestly recommend the mod to anyone as it is purely up to the driver because if you change gear as you rev out the car then no pops will occur . It is basically when you rev the car in idle ; let the revs drop in gear ; between 1st and second gear if your lucky ; when you downshift the car .

So that’s all the positives of the map and now onto my only concern . I was driving back yesterday and the car was fully warm . I was in third at about 60 and decided to downshift the car and got a cluster of about 10 pops and suddenly I get an message saying “ engine fault - reduced power “ . I was pretty shocked and luckily only a few minutes from home so I drove it like a baby and then let it rest . Whilst I was driving it back the car was vibrating and lot and making a juddery sound . I was scared the excessive pops might have damaged the engine in some way . I got home and restarted the car to find out it is absolutely normal . It has since been driven a few times and it is as if nothing ever happened ?

I was wondering if any of you have any experience with what it could have been and if it was a one off due to excessive pops and bangs that made the car think something is wrong so it went into reduced power mode . The funny thing is I actually don’t like when I get the cluster of 10 pops as it sounds terrible to me . luckily it happens very rarely but this has made me think about the long term effects of the over run and possibly refraining from doing it all the time.

Any advice or comments are appreciated
Arjuanamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 13th January 2018, 11:34 AM   #2
TrojanHP
Wearing official robes

Car: E46 M3

Chances are you'll have a code stored, anything more at this point is pure guesswork.
Get them read and go from there.
TrojanHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2018, 12:16 PM   #3
abeardo83
Wearing official robes

Car: 2008 e92 M3
Colour Combo: Silverstone II / Palladium

The pops are essentially overfuelling. That overfuelling will have affected your O2 sensor, I bet.
abeardo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2018, 02:04 PM   #4
madda
On the path

Car: e92 M3

A Reeve wont do it due to safety concerns, that's enough for me...
madda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2018, 02:20 PM   #5
E46CoupeM3
Achieved official socks

Car: 2001 BMW M3
Colour Combo: Carbon Black

It rocks me how people still like something which is pointless in these cars because it was cool when group B did it in the 80s as part of Anti-lag.

It's just daft on a road car, and if done for appearance and no power benefit it's just daft in all applications
E46CoupeM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2018, 02:33 PM   #6
Keith
Achieved official socks

Car: S65B40
Colour Combo: Monte Carlo Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by madda View Post
A Reeve wont do it due to safety concerns, that's enough for me...
Sounds so chavvy too.

Unless of course you're a 21yr old boy racer trying to impress people of a similar age as you drive by popping and cracking
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2018, 02:39 PM   #7
E46CoupeM3
Achieved official socks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Sounds so chavvy too.

Unless of course you're a 21yr old boy racer trying to impress people of a similar age as you drive by popping and cracking
In which case you probably can't afford to blow a gallon of petrol out the back
Old 13th January 2018, 03:17 PM   #8
Chazrick
On the path

Car: 2008 E90 M3 Manual
Colour Combo: Silverstone ll

I would say lamba sensor...
Chazrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2018, 03:23 PM   #9
Arjuanamo
On the path

Car: BMW E93 M3 6MT
Colour Combo: Mineral white / Fox Red

Okay I’ll get a friend to read the codes and see what caused the temporary fault .

Apart from the random cluster pops I reckon it sounds natural and really adds to the sound the exhaust makes . I reckon my mates f80 m3 with the exhaust mod sounds way more “Chavey” as it pops and bangs ridiculously whenever he revs it .
Arjuanamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2018, 03:23 PM   #10
GolfDuck
Achieved official socks

Car: 04 E46 M3 SMG coupe
Colour Combo: Silver grey / black

Wow, a load of unburnt fuel exploding inside an exhaust pipe. Whatever could go wrong there?
GolfDuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2018, 03:24 PM   #11
E46CoupeM3
Achieved official socks

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfDuck View Post
Wow, a load of unburnt fuel exploding inside an exhaust pipe. Whatever could go wrong there?
Makes a great spud gun
Old 13th January 2018, 04:09 PM   #12
dino
Achieved official socks

Car: 2003 BMW M3
Colour Combo: Imola Red/Black - 'The Red Baron'

I don't understand the purpose of this thread? So you want to have over fueling that can potentially damage the engine and that even though Evolve told you not to do it you did and are now complaining your car might be damaged?

IMO it's totally unacceptable to start a thread like this with blame in the title for a certain company when a) you forced the issue and b) sounds like your car is ok anyway??

**** sticks and all that.
dino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2018, 04:49 PM   #13
Unit
Achieved official socks

Car: 2015 F82 M4 DCT
Colour Combo: Yas Marina Blue & Black

Agree with Dino here. Just silly and not fair to reference the people that told you not to do it.
Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2018, 05:13 PM   #14
stuartk
Achieved official socks

Car: F82 M4 & E89 Z4
Colour Combo: Austin Yellow/Black Merino Leather @ Mineral White/ Red leather

Not really evolves fault.

Common sense dictates that this will make your car sound **** and ruin it.
stuartk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2018, 05:39 PM   #15
tej
Wearing official robes

Car: 2007 e92 M3 , Melbourne Red , 6MT

Could be a knock sensor registering the pops as a misfire. Default "limp" home mode is usually to overfuel massively to cool the pistons and eliminate any pre-ignition as it doesn't really know what's wrong so goes into its fail safe setting which makes it run like a dog.

Get the codes read and check. Curious to hear the video. Most/all pops and bangs in road cars are unnecessary but I really miss how they made me smile in the Tvr
tej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2018, 05:43 PM   #16
E46CoupeM3
Achieved official socks

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino View Post
I don't understand the purpose of this thread? So you want to have over fueling that can potentially damage the engine and that even though Evolve told you not to do it you did and are now complaining your car might be damaged?

IMO it's totally unacceptable to start a thread like this with blame in the title for a certain company when a) you forced the issue and b) sounds like your car is ok anyway??

**** sticks and all that.
I don't see he thread title as a criticism of the supplier. It is what it is.

Also I don't see anything in the original post saying Evolve said not to do it? Maybe I misread.
Old 13th January 2018, 06:02 PM   #17
dino
Achieved official socks

Car: 2003 BMW M3
Colour Combo: Imola Red/Black - 'The Red Baron'

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46CoupeM3 View Post
I don't see he thread title as a criticism of the supplier. It is what it is.

Also I don't see anything in the original post saying Evolve said not to do it? Maybe I misread.
Here you go mate:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjuanamo View Post
I had a primary decat 8 months ago and had got an AMD map at the time
due to a good deal but after calling them back , they refused to remove the cold start or do an over run map for me
Title says My Experience with the Evolve over run map and the potential damage of it

References Evolve and "potential damage". Some people may see this title, not even read the thread and in their mind they have already parked that as a reference to a 'bad company'

Unacceptable practice by the OP in my opinion.
dino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2018, 06:03 PM   #18
E46CoupeM3
Achieved official socks

^^^^

AMD is not EVOLVE
Old 13th January 2018, 06:17 PM   #19
Unit
Achieved official socks

Car: 2015 F82 M4 DCT
Colour Combo: Yas Marina Blue & Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46CoupeM3 View Post
^^^^

AMD is not EVOLVE
Yes but the thread title referenced “Evolve” and “Damage” when in fact there is no proven link. That’s a bit unfair in my opinion.
Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2018, 06:37 PM   #20
E46CoupeM3
Achieved official socks

^^^
Dino said "here you go" to my statement of not seeing Evolve say not to do it.

Based on what I see I am right. Therefore no "yes but"

Also, as I said I see no criticism of Evolve doing what the customer asked when the customer knew the consequences