The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum

Go Back   The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum > M3 and M4 Talk > E90 Saloon / E92 Coupe / E93 Convertible M3 (2008-2013)

Old 12th January 2018, 08:52 PM   #21
dannyscott
A mere Chipper

Car: 2011 bmw m3

Anyone used raytech magic gel??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wS3Z5-_Ank
dannyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12th January 2018, 09:27 PM   #22
Wozza
On the path

Car: 2012 E92 Competition Pack
Colour Combo: Mineral White/Black Novillo Leather

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyscott View Post
the ones i boughtoff of ebay are in
a little cage i litterally popped the top cover off and placed them in there ,their too big to fall through.
Ok thanks. Which ones did you buy?
Wozza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2018, 05:31 PM   #23
dannyscott
A mere Chipper

Default Update....

So today i decided to remove front bumper(actually quite easy) disconnecting all parking sensors before removal..

headlights were ok -apart from 3 of the clips holding torx bolts in place decided to snap so had to drill out torx bolts and order new ones-these were actually cheaper direct from bmw rather than buying off of ebay!!

ordered new rear cover,top cover also just to eliminate these areas-all these are reasonable straight from bmw.

new balast ordered but werent sure if this comes with new gasket or do i need to order one-but cant find part or part number on bmw ?

removed offending ballast and confirmed it to be full of water !! so im now thinking of setting them in raytech gel before reinstalling new balast??

ive got to say this is a load of bull ache just for a poxy headlight bulb lol
Old 13th January 2018, 06:21 PM   #24
Keith
Achieved official socks

Car: S65B40
Colour Combo: Monte Carlo Edition

This thread is full of solutions to the symptoms, but no mention of the actual source issue and fix for that?

Where is the water getting in from? No point adding sachets to absorb water if more is getting in, which it obviously is as ballasts are welling up. Same will happen again unless the faulty seals are identified and sorted.

Be a useful thread if that could be described and identified.
Keith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2018, 06:51 PM   #25
Martyn
Achieved official socks

Car: 2006 E46 M3
Colour Combo: Silver Grey / Imola

Replacing the caps at the top and back with new items and seals does not fix the issue. I purchased both to try and resolve it but it still fogs slightly.

A new headlight also doesn’t fix it as mine had a new unit before I purchased it and it still fogs too
Martyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2018, 08:36 PM   #26
dannyscott
A mere Chipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyn View Post
Replacing the caps at the top and back with new items and seals does not fix the issue. I purchased both to try and resolve it but it still fogs slightly.

A new headlight also doesn’t fix it as mine had a new unit before I purchased it and it still fogs too

i know it wont fix the problem but its the process of elimination for me,both lights are going to be resealed by replacing the sealer also,air vent was clear so i know thats not a cause,but like i said it is a process of elimination.
also gonna attempt to seal the ballast using raytech magic gel so if it does happen again hopefully it wont affect the ballast this time
Old 13th January 2018, 08:37 PM   #27
Martyn
Achieved official socks

Car: 2006 E46 M3
Colour Combo: Silver Grey / Imola

Let me know how you get on with opening/resealing them as I'd like to do this at some point too
Martyn is offline   Reply With Quote