The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum

Go Back   The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum > M3 and M4 Talk > E90 Saloon / E92 Coupe / E93 Convertible M3 (2008-2013)

Old 10th January 2018, 10:20 AM   #41
Oldgitst
On the path

Car: Bmwm3

Do you think the cold start is supposed to help in this area ?

ie, the engine revs higher to achieve a gear change on DCT's , therefore less engine load which i believe is bad for rod bearings ...???

I maybe completely wrong just a thought, interesting to see the rates of wear on Manual e92's and cold start delete DCT ones....

cheers
og
Oldgitst is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10th January 2018, 12:47 PM   #42
WinFreak
Achieved official socks

Car: 2011 E92 M3 DCT ZCP
Colour Combo: Mineral White / Black

Don't think the cold start will have much of an effect, the revs are higher yes but with barely any load on the engine
WinFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2018, 10:37 PM   #43
JBristow
Wearing official underwear

Car: E90 M3
Colour Combo: Jerez/Bamboo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
The Million Dollar Question mate which nobody will have a true answer to until further testing on the aftermarket shells.

After following the debate on M3Post etc during the last years I will personally go for aftermarket when it is getting time. VAC coated Clevite (rather then Carlio) or BE seems most appealing at this point but we'll see next Autumn. Regardless of reasons to the RB fail (or combination of), I think adding further slippery and or a tad more clearance will only be good, while staying with 10W60.
As above, I went with OEM but with the WPC treatment, so technically this is a way to slightly improve an OEM bearing, a half way house if you like.

I then decided also to stick to 10W60 but went with an ester based oil, this one, https://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motor...e-engine-oil-2 (Opie oils forum sponsor rates it)

Given the WPC treatment puts tiny microscopic holes in the bearings and this oil sticks to those holes it seemed to me to be the ideal combo
JBristow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2018, 09:31 AM   #44
Oldgitst
On the path

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinFreak View Post
Don't think the cold start will have much of an effect, the revs are higher yes but with barely any load on the engine
that's what I mean, the cold start produces less load on the engine from cold .... ie, the cold start is actually doing something useful .....
Old 11th January 2018, 04:50 PM   #45
Helmsman
Achieved official socks

Car: 2011 BMW M3 E90 Comp Pack DCT
Colour Combo: Alpine White, Black Novillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBristow View Post
As above, I went with OEM but with the WPC treatment, so technically this is a way to slightly improve an OEM bearing, a half way house if you like.

I then decided also to stick to 10W60 but went with an ester based oil, this one, https://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motor...e-engine-oil-2 (Opie oils forum sponsor rates it)

Given the WPC treatment puts tiny microscopic holes in the bearings and this oil sticks to those holes it seemed to me to be the ideal combo
Who's delivering these OEM with coating mate?
Helmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2018, 05:25 PM   #46
WinFreak
Achieved official socks

Car: 2011 E92 M3 DCT ZCP
Colour Combo: Mineral White / Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgitst View Post
that's what I mean, the cold start produces less load on the engine from cold .... ie, the cold start is actually doing something useful .....
Ah yes I read your post wrong.. I think youíre right, itís definitely takes more throttle now to get the car moving now my cold start has been removed
WinFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2018, 09:02 PM   #47
Oldgitst
On the path

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinFreak View Post
Ah yes I read your post wrong.. I think youíre right, itís definitely takes more throttle now to get the car moving now my cold start has been removed
I've also noticed using the paddles trying to change up gear at lower revs than letting it change naturally when on cold start makes it far more reluctant to change , adding more substance in my mind that it's designed for a reason....the cold start is worth living with on dct boxes as the engine load remains smaller.... im probably completely wrong but even tho I hate the cold start on my 2.5 mod think I shall leave mine as is...
Not sure if the same ethos can be applied to manual cars as not been in one on cold start lol....

Cheers og
Old 11th January 2018, 11:16 PM   #48
JBristow

The more I read about WPC the more I believe it to be the right answer (if there was a question in the first place). This article is excellent, especially page 2, where it talks about maintaining a film of oil. http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...about-WPC.aspx

One point, its not a bearing with a surface but a bearing with something removed, so for me I went this way as it wouldn't tighten clearance. I either got mine from CAAutomotive, Redish or these guys, https://europeanautosource.com/wpc-s...m3-e60-m5.html

I then had them installed at Redish who take more measurements than Pythagoras and send you various pictures and videos during the process.

Bottom line, with this the oil and not revving until the oil hits 90C (Which my V2 wheel tells me) means no concerns at all about this "problem"
Old 11th January 2018, 11:17 PM   #49
JBristow

Quote:
The more I read about WPC the more I believe it to be the right answer (if there was a question in the first place). This article is excellent, especially page 2, where it talks about maintaining a film of oil. http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...about-WPC.aspx

One point, its not a bearing with a surface but a bearing with something removed, so for me I went this way as it wouldn't tighten clearance. I either got mine from CAAutomotive, Redish or these guys, https://europeanautosource.com/wpc-s...m3-e60-m5.html

I then had them installed at Redish who take more measurements than Pythagoras and send you various pictures and videos during the process.

Bottom line, with this the oil and not revving until the oil hits 90C (Which my V2 wheel tells me) means no concerns at all about this "problem"
In response to Helmsman
Old 11th January 2018, 11:22 PM   #50
JBristow

Quote:
In response to Helmsman
P.S There is or was lead time of around 5 weeks when I went to EAS. For me that was a positive as it meant that the process is not easy I.E they really do come from Japan like the first article mentions
Old 12th January 2018, 01:20 PM   #51
Helmsman
Achieved official socks

Car: 2011 BMW M3 E90 Comp Pack DCT
Colour Combo: Alpine White, Black Novillo

Quote:
In response to Helmsman
Cheers mate
Helmsman is offline   Reply With Quote