The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum

Go Back   The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum > M3 and M4 Talk > E90 Saloon / E92 Coupe / E93 Convertible M3 (2008-2013)

Old 12th January 2018, 09:41 AM   #1
AldridgeZ4
A mere Chipper

Car: Z4M
Default Z4M to E9x M3 ....anyone made the swap?

I'm thinking of swapping my Z4M roadster to a E9x M3 in the spring. Has anyone done this? I'm interested in your thoughts....good move? Any downsides? Haven't decided on coupe or vert yet.I will probably be going down the AUC route for piece of mind.
AldridgeZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12th January 2018, 09:47 AM   #2
tej
Wearing official robes

Car: 2007 e92 M3 , Melbourne Red , 6MT

Out of interest, what draws you to the M3? I can only think the requirement of more seats or the V8? Imo its a massive shame they didn't put the V8 in a smaller chassis. Same for the V10 tbh.
tej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2018, 11:05 AM   #3
AldridgeZ4
A mere Chipper

Car: Z4M

It's the V8. I want to own a V8 before they all die out and this seems an affordable route. I'm propably older than most on here and figure I've got another 10 years or so before I have to start being sensible in my old age. I would hate to get to a point where I look back and think "I wish I'd done that".
AldridgeZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2018, 11:27 AM   #4
ndj
Rocking a new hat

Car: M3 Taxi

Don't worry, there are a few "old timers" on here

AUC is a great way into M3 ownership. Push for or pay for a second year AUC warranty cover.
ndj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2018, 11:37 AM   #5
alpina527
Achieved official socks

Car: Dct M4 Coupe
Colour Combo: SO / Black inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by AldridgeZ4 View Post
It's the V8. I want to own a V8 before they all die out and this seems an affordable route. I'm propably older than most on here and figure I've got another 10 years or so before I have to start being sensible in my old age. I would hate to get to a point where I look back and think "I wish I'd done that".
You wont regret it.

The E92 M3 is a step up all round. A great car that every petrol head should sample at sometime in their life.
alpina527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2018, 01:00 PM   #6
Helmsman
Achieved official socks

Car: 2011 BMW M3 E90 Comp Pack DCT
Colour Combo: Alpine White, Black Novillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AldridgeZ4 View Post
Going from the smaller Z4M I'd assume you'd lose some nimbleness, but the
E9M chassis is still proper handling. Came from 335i into the E60 550i to try to V8 myself a few years ago - although I though NA/V8 was old fashion power. Wow, simply had to get more of the same hence moved to the E9M.

Do it.
Helmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2018, 01:10 PM   #7
Gazc
A mere Chipper

Car: 2006 Z4M
Colour Combo: Black

I am in the middle of doing this I have sold my Z4M roadster and am looking for a M3. I have test driven a few and what I have noticed is the M3 is slightly quicker and feels bigger but never feels like it wants to kill you like the Z4M sometimes does.

Last edited by Gazc; 12th January 2018 at 11:07 PM.
Gazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2018, 04:42 PM   #8
alpinaman
Achieved official socks

Car: 500 bhp+

I have had a Z4M roady and a Z4M Coupe..

An E92 M3 is a totally different car.. The E8x is wild,light and twitchy and on a good A road comes alive....

The E9x ..... Errr,have a go in one first before you do anything rash.
alpinaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2018, 07:46 PM   #9
api330
Wearing official robes

Car: M3

I have had 2 M coupes and loved them both but my M3 Is on a whole new level, You won't regret it for a moment,
api330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2018, 07:57 PM   #10
boba fett
Achieved official socks

Car: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by tej View Post
Out of interest, what draws you to the M3? I can only think the requirement of more seats or the V8? Imo its a massive shame they didn't put the V8 in a smaller chassis. Same for the V10 tbh.
Looks
boba fett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2018, 10:12 AM   #11
Rage
A mere Chipper

Car: 2013 E92 M3 Comp Pack
Colour Combo: Alpine White/Black

I had a Z4M coupe and really regret selling it! The M3 is a better, more usable car but the thrill of the Z4M was a touch higher.
Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2018, 10:54 AM   #12
toplad
Achieved official socks

Car: Mobile skip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rage View Post
I had a Z4M coupe and really regret selling it! The M3 is a better, more usable car but the thrill of the Z4M was a touch higher.
This

The V8 is much more rounded in terms of use and it is faster, but the Z4M is more fun, involving and a proper drivers cars.
toplad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2018, 12:59 PM   #13
TheCoolCat
Wearing official robes

Car: 2010 BMW M3 e92
Colour Combo: White/Black

Quote:
Came from a Z4M Coupe and totally agree with this.
The M3 seems a bit quicker too and the noise, when the exhaust mod is done, is great, but would I do it again?, no!
TheCoolCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2018, 03:04 PM   #14
Rage
A mere Chipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCoolCat View Post
Came from a Z4M Coupe and totally agree with this.
The M3 seems a bit quicker too and the noise, when the exhaust mod is done, is great, but would I do it again?, no!
Sadly in my case keeping both was not an option. Ultimately the M3 is better rounded. Ive often gone back and "checked" Z4M prices on autotrader but its still too expensive for a hobby car

If there were any way I could have kept both I would have. The Z4M was a flawed diamond but still absolutely endearing. I was hoping the newer model Z4 would be more of the same but theres no coupe model or M model
Old 16th January 2018, 05:16 PM   #15
alpinaman
Achieved official socks

Car: 500 bhp+

Quote:
Sadly in my case keeping both was not an option. Ultimately the M3 is better rounded. Ive often gone back and "checked" Z4M prices on autotrader but its still too expensive for a hobby car

If there were any way I could have kept both I would have. The Z4M was a flawed diamond but still absolutely endearing. I was hoping the newer model Z4 would be more of the same but theres no coupe model or M model
I had a E89 35is too..

Had it mapped ad it was an absolute weapon... Would walk away from Z4M everywhere.

Some people dont like the E89 and say it was a bit lardy,but it would go around corners as quick as an M car although you could feel the weight transfer.
It was just a better car all round than the M( apart from looks of M coupe,superb looking car),and that pains me to say but credit where its due.
alpinaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2018, 07:11 PM   #16
Rage
A mere Chipper

Im sure the E89 could go faster, especially mapped. Probably around corners too in the right hands since im not a pro driver, I just go with what I feel from the car

The Z4M always felt special. To me, the E89 just felt less so. But of course its subjective.
Old 16th January 2018, 08:26 PM   #17
Skelts
Achieved official socks

Car: R8 gt
Colour Combo: White

Ive had both a Z4MC and an E92 M3. I would have another e92 but probably not a Z4.

Saying that my Z4 was a great car but the limited 2 seats and it was a handle at the limit would probably put me off.

I believe the e92 is probably one of the most underrated M cars available
Skelts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2018, 09:15 AM   #18
djgandy
Achieved official socks

Car: Atlantis Blue E93 M3

Z4MC is a pure drivers car. I was always amazed at how hard you could throw the Z4 into corners. The chassis is incredibly stiff. It is very nimble and a fair bit lighter than an E92. With an S65 inside it it would be a complete animal.

They are cars with very different purposes imo. Given how much bigger and heavier the E9x is its surprising how well it handles in comparison.
djgandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2018, 12:27 PM   #19
irishsteve
Wearing official underwear

Car: E90 M3

Strange how everyone's opinions of Z4Ms vary so much.

In terms of handling I found mine understeery at the front then spiky at the rear and I never really knew what it was going to do.

E90 handling is, for me, more balanced, more progressive, more fun.

Both have nice engines.

The E90 doesn't feel quite as special as a Z4MC but I personally wouldn't swap back.
irishsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2018, 08:44 AM   #20
chrisc
Achieved official socks

Car: GT-R + F80 M3
Colour Combo: Pink

I would try and opt for a comp pack M3 if you can, they really do handle so much better. And noticeable differences in the EDC settings.

I loved my Z4M, but the bonnet was just moosive to try and gauge. Proper little sports car, and sounded great.

Personally think try an M3 before, but I loved the 92 probably more than any other car I've owned. And there has been a few
chrisc is offline   Reply With Quote