The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum

Go Back   The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum > M3 and M4 Talk > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Old 11th January 2018, 12:36 PM   #21
Shas95
A mere Chipper

Car: Bmw

Alpine make a e46 specific unit, ILX-702E46, that has a screen but with a single din chassis which doesn’t require cutting. I will be going for it at some point this year because I’m not a fan of the dynavins or xtrons user interfaces and I don’t like android. The looks don’t bother me either as I’d rather have function over form.
Shas95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11th January 2018, 02:21 PM   #22
Bigfoot
Achieved official socks

Car: 2005 E46 M3
Colour Combo: Silver Grey / Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas95 View Post
Alpine make a e46 specific unit, ILX-702E46, that has a screen but with a single din chassis which doesnít require cutting. I will be going for it at some point this year because Iím not a fan of the dynavins or xtrons user interfaces and I donít like android. The looks donít bother me either as Iíd rather have function over form.
Shame that Alpine have made this as a CarPlay unit without a native navigation system.
Bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2018, 06:29 PM   #23
Jaaydee
Achieved official socks

Car: 2004 BMW M3 Manual
Colour Combo: Titty Silver & Black

I was digging about looking at different vids of the android head units last night and i came across one that had me in bits laughing

No offence to anyone who's got one as I'm actually considering one myself but this chap is hilarious with his non stop swearing and the accent

I wanted to see how the new 9" octa core units looked and this popped up. I'm fairly sure he has absolutely no idea what he's doing which makes it even funnier

Oh and it's looooooong

https://youtu.be/BKsH1GfrZGg
Jaaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2018, 11:41 PM   #24
7DT
Rocking a new hat

Car: 2002 BMW M3
Colour Combo: Carbon Black / Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaaydee View Post
I was digging about looking at different vids of the android head units last night and i came across one that had me in bits laughing

No offence to anyone who's got one as I'm actually considering one myself but this chap is hilarious with his non stop swearing and the accent

I wanted to see how the new 9" octa core units looked and this popped up. I'm fairly sure he has absolutely no idea what he's doing which makes it even funnier

Oh and it's looooooong

I'll have to watch that. Just installed an xtrons octa core in mine. So far have found a few quirks in setting it up but otherwise had no issues.

Had to crimp one wire together, and plug the rest in.

Very easy install to be honest and loads of space for the spaghetti cabling that always seems to result.

First impressions are that it's a better smoother experience than the parrot. And shock horror it also sounds better which I want expecting.

So far I'm pleased with it butt I'll reserve judgement for 2 weeks in till I've lived with it for a while.

Do far so good though!
7DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2018, 12:28 AM   #25
7DT
Rocking a new hat

Quote:

Oh and it's looooooong

Just watched it.

Some people shouldn't be let near technology.
Old 14th January 2018, 02:51 AM   #26
Jaaydee
Achieved official socks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7DT View Post
I'll have to watch that. Just installed an xtrons octa core in mine. So far have found a few quirks in setting it up but otherwise had no issues.

Had to crimp one wire together, and plug the rest in.

Very easy install to be honest and loads of space for the spaghetti cabling that always seems to result.

First impressions are that it's a better smoother experience than the parrot. And shock horror it also sounds better which I want expecting.

So far I'm pleased with it butt I'll reserve judgement for 2 weeks in till I've lived with it for a while.

Do far so good though!
Is it the 9" one mate? Not seen one of those in an e46 yet. Any pics?
Old 14th January 2018, 11:14 AM   #27
7DT
Rocking a new hat

No it's the one that looks oem so not the 9 inch. After the parrot I wouldn't have a system that's fully touchscreen again I don't think.
Old 14th January 2018, 04:11 PM   #28
Jaaydee
Achieved official socks

Quote:
No it's the one that looks oem so not the 9 inch. After the parrot I wouldn't have a system that's fully touchscreen again I don't think.
I think this is really interesting that you prefer this one over the Parrot. I've always thought these units would reach a tipping point where they'd do that. I've got a few hundred quid knocking about in the paypal account and I'm seriously considering having a pop just to see how I get on. The bit that really puts me off having a stab is the bit about cutting speaker wires if you have HK. I'd want to be able to plonk the standard nav back in without a lot of hassle.

What version of android is your new one running? The interface has come a long way over the years now I've watched some videos on the newer ones
Old 14th January 2018, 04:52 PM   #29
scoosh89
Achieved official socks

Car: 2006 Supercharged M3 Vert SMG
Colour Combo: Silver/Black

Have at look at post 30 onwards on Bens Page.
http://forums.m3cutters.co.uk/showth...=182809&page=2

I dont have HK but everything plugged in and worked straight away.
No issues with it, had to run a harness due to having own nav but no a difficult job.

I would defo recommend one, for the money i think it great.
scoosh89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2018, 09:01 PM   #30
7DT
Rocking a new hat

Quote:
I think this is really interesting that you prefer this one over the Parrot. I've always thought these units would reach a tipping point where they'd do that. I've got a few hundred quid knocking about in the paypal account and I'm seriously considering having a pop just to see how I get on. The bit that really puts me off having a stab is the bit about cutting speaker wires if you have HK. I'd want to be able to plonk the standard nav back in without a lot of hassle.

What version of android is your new one running? The interface has come a long way over the years now I've watched some videos on the newer ones
Android 6.0 apparently.

In any case, things I like:
- steering wheel controls worked straight out the box, no setup required
- had to crimp one cable together, the reverse one, apart from that, all plug and play
- loads of space for the cables as it's effectively a single din unit
- unlike the previous single din (a sony) there seems to be plenty of space behing it when mounting, so i didn't need the wifi antenna extension i got
- unlike parrot, again, plenty of space
- looks OEM
- I have knobs and buttons, makes navigation easy, as to get to the home screen i press one button. Much better whilst driving
- sounds fuller. I had a sony, which sopunded good, went to the parrot and found it lacking, just didn't sound very full and a lot got lost whilst driving. With this, it sounds good again. Even the missus noticed
- starts up quickly, so the sleep mode is good on it
- starts up pretty quickly as well
- I like being able to use the android market. Unlike the parrot which suffers from a walled garden and severe lack of apps.
- The Tyre pressure monitoring system is pretty cool too
- Interface is slick, easy to arrange things
- Better EQ, the eq does more, and you have more extremes than the parrot, more bands as well
- I use android phones, so it's intuitive to use
- got the missus onto bluetooth so she could play her music really easily. Possibly a mistake.
- audio playback doesn't stutter and cut out like the parrot did foe the first few minutes of being turned on whilst it decided to sync with my phone and drain all it's processing power

Bad bits:
- bugger all i9nstall instructions, but despite this worrying me, it turned out to be the easiest install
- had to reset the unit as I'd clicked a few things to do with bluetooth pairing which stopped the bluetooth OBD2 scanner from communicat8ing and being found
- the torque app that came preloaded has issues downloading the license, so i just ended up spending £2.95. Problem solved. This doesn't rweally matter though as will be putting in an awron display when it arrives, and therefor the OBD2 port will not be free anymore.
- top buttons are hard to press and small, and near the surround, so when driving you won't be using them. However, the home button on the unit means this isn't an issue. Also you can press in the seek dial and that acts as a back button, so no issue. If it was a full screen, then I'd have reservations about it
- wifi is crap, so going to fit a better aerial and play around with it.
- tech support is awful. Don't bother. I can also see this being an issue if the unit develops a fault, but to be honest, it's cheap enough to just put a new one in after a year.
- mic is crap. I'll be replacing, but at 2£ for the mic, probably my own fault. Plan is to run a decent one to the OEM location, but just didn't have the time.

I'm going to live with it for a while, and then I'll maybe do a full review of it, but so far very pleased with it. The TPMS is cool, although I can see it instigating OCD...
Old 15th January 2018, 11:32 AM   #31
Jaaydee
Achieved official socks

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoosh89 View Post
Have at look at post 30 onwards on Bens Page.
http://forums.m3cutters.co.uk/showth...=182809&page=2

I dont have HK but everything plugged in and worked straight away.
No issues with it, had to run a harness due to having own nav but no a difficult job.

I would defo recommend one, for the money i think it great.
Quote:
Android 6.0 apparently.

In any case, things I like:
- steering wheel controls worked straight out the box, no setup required
- had to crimp one cable together, the reverse one, apart from that, all plug and play
- loads of space for the cables as it's effectively a single din unit
- unlike the previous single din (a sony) there seems to be plenty of space behing it when mounting, so i didn't need the wifi antenna extension i got
- unlike parrot, again, plenty of space
- looks OEM
- I have knobs and buttons, makes navigation easy, as to get to the home screen i press one button. Much better whilst driving
- sounds fuller. I had a sony, which sopunded good, went to the parrot and found it lacking, just didn't sound very full and a lot got lost whilst driving. With this, it sounds good again. Even the missus noticed
- starts up quickly, so the sleep mode is good on it
- starts up pretty quickly as well
- I like being able to use the android market. Unlike the parrot which suffers from a walled garden and severe lack of apps.
- The Tyre pressure monitoring system is pretty cool too
- Interface is slick, easy to arrange things
- Better EQ, the eq does more, and you have more extremes than the parrot, more bands as well
- I use android phones, so it's intuitive to use
- got the missus onto bluetooth so she could play her music really easily. Possibly a mistake.
- audio playback doesn't stutter and cut out like the parrot did foe the first few minutes of being turned on whilst it decided to sync with my phone and drain all it's processing power

Bad bits:
- bugger all i9nstall instructions, but despite this worrying me, it turned out to be the easiest install
- had to reset the unit as I'd clicked a few things to do with bluetooth pairing which stopped the bluetooth OBD2 scanner from communicat8ing and being found
- the torque app that came preloaded has issues downloading the license, so i just ended up spending £2.95. Problem solved. This doesn't rweally matter though as will be putting in an awron display when it arrives, and therefor the OBD2 port will not be free anymore.
- top buttons are hard to press and small, and near the surround, so when driving you won't be using them. However, the home button on the unit means this isn't an issue. Also you can press in the seek dial and that acts as a back button, so no issue. If it was a full screen, then I'd have reservations about it
- wifi is crap, so going to fit a better aerial and play around with it.
- tech support is awful. Don't bother. I can also see this being an issue if the unit develops a fault, but to be honest, it's cheap enough to just put a new one in after a year.
- mic is crap. I'll be replacing, but at 2£ for the mic, probably my own fault. Plan is to run a decent one to the OEM location, but just didn't have the time.

I'm going to live with it for a while, and then I'll maybe do a full review of it, but so far very pleased with it. The TPMS is cool, although I can see it instigating OCD...
Nice one chaps I'll hop on the other thread and ask some more questions there cos I've got loads