The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum

Go Back   The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum > M3 and M4 Talk > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Old 11th July 2018, 11:35 PM   #1
ExCop530dT
Achieved official socks

Car: E39 Ex Police 530d Touring
Default Kenwood DMX7018DABS - Shallow Depth A/Auto & Carplay

Hi,

This is the new fully featured, shallow depth double DIN head unit from Kenwood and which also comes in at a fantastic price level. This is the first unit that has all the features in one unit, Android Auto & Apple CarPlay, DAB digital radio, shallow depth and a clean smooth/clutter free front screen. Waze support on Android Auto (the recent update that Waze also works on Apple Carplay should, I'd have thought be availabe too) Spotify support, electronic EQ and Time Alignment and crossover. Pricing level looks around the £400 level which I think is absolutely fantastic !

Kenwood site - http://www.kenwood.eu/car/navigation.../?view=details

UK based re-seller - https://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/kenw...-8-screen.html

For anyone looking to upgrade, this unit has the best checklist for those still deciding which is the right unit to go for. I'm sure more unit's will come out over the next year or two as well, but this one really looks like a solid unit to go for!

Cheers, Dennis!
ExCop530dT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 13th July 2018, 09:14 AM   #2
hopwood
A mere Chipper

Car: E46 M3
Colour Combo: Carbon black, imola red

Does this require fitting kit or brackets or anything?

Cheers

Joel
hopwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2018, 10:09 AM   #3
ExCop530dT
Achieved official socks

Hi Joel,

Like ANY double DIN head unit, it will need a way to mount and a fascia to fit in the E46. Plenty of threads about the options there. You'll need to look at what wiring your specific car has/came with to check which harness and wiring kit you'd need as well.

Cheers, Dennis!
Old 14th July 2018, 03:52 PM   #4
Alex5000
Wearing official robes

Car: 2005 BMW M3
Colour Combo: Carbon Black / Kiwi

Might be the head unit I’ve been waiting for. Been looking forward to Waze coming to CarPlay.
Alex5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2018, 09:02 AM   #5
Coops
Wearing official underwear

Car: 2003 FL E46 M3 Vert, Abarth 500, Delta 8v
Colour Combo: Estoril Blue with Black, Black with Black times two.

Thanks for letting us know about this Dennis.

Iíve a problem with my set-up and it looks like time to upgrade. Iím not familiar with the E46 wiring set-up (Iíll go read / re-read some threads on here) but Iíll price up all the parts and see where I go from there.

Mine is early facelift Vert with HK and tape head unit with cd changer and DVD nav in the boot. There is no Bluetooth so Iím assuming there is no existing microphone wiring (mine does have voice control thoí).

I am assuming I will need (besides the head unit):
- Steering Wheel control adaptor
- extended 5m wiring loom to rear
- e46 Facia and fitting kit (I recall that folks have made their own / adapted other ones - is there one for the E46?)
- Aerial (FM adaptor?)
- anything else?

Iím not intending adding any accessories and Iím assuming it comes with a DAB aerial in the box.

A couple of questions - if anyone can advise. Looking at the fitting kits the ones that come with a fitting cage all seem to be offset to the left I would want it central otherwise I think it looks odd. There are kits like the one M3Chas fitted that seem to be for those that are relocating the switch panel and didnít have double din originally - could I fit those cages in mine without significant adaption or am I missing something?

Thanks,
Al
Coops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2018, 07:02 PM   #6
M3Chas
Achieved official socks

Car: 2003 BMW M3
Colour Combo: Mystic Blue/Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
Thanks for letting us know about this Dennis.

I’ve a problem with my set-up and it looks like time to upgrade. I’m not familiar with the E46 wiring set-up (I’ll go read / re-read some threads on here) but I’ll price up all the parts and see where I go from there.

Mine is early facelift Vert with HK and tape head unit with cd changer and DVD nav in the boot. There is no Bluetooth so I’m assuming there is no existing microphone wiring (mine does have voice control tho’).

I am assuming I will need (besides the head unit):
- Steering Wheel control adaptor
- extended 5m wiring loom to rear
- e46 Facia and fitting kit (I recall that folks have made their own / adapted other ones - is there one for the E46?)
- Aerial (FM adaptor?)
- anything else?

I’m not intending adding any accessories and I’m assuming it comes with a DAB aerial in the box.

A couple of questions - if anyone can advise. Looking at the fitting kits the ones that come with a fitting cage all seem to be offset to the left I would want it central otherwise I think it looks odd. There are kits like the one M3Chas fitted that seem to be for those that are relocating the switch panel and didn’t have double din originally - could I fit those cages in mine without significant adaption or am I missing something?

Thanks,
Al
Basically, these are your choices:

With you having having the factory nav these have a cage built into the display unit itself; that's why you always need to fabricate the brackets etc. What you need is your list as you put it. As for the Fascia:

Fascias/Brackets; 2 choices
Firstly, you can't just use a fascia as it doesn't support the weight of a HU. You may get away with this but I cannot recommend it:

1) Get a Single DIN cage and cut it up to support the HU with some extra brackets: This is how DennisCooper has previously shown it done. You start out with it intact and cut it up with care to get the HU to fit right. To be fair this is fiddly but a secure way of holding the HU.

http://www.e46zone.com/forum/topic/4...din-head-unit/

1) Get the Enfig/Connects2 kit. The benefit of this is it comes with all of the brackets to fit the HU. It's the closest thing IMHO to a plug and play HU, and is fairly Mecano/simple to assemble. It is also to my knowledge the only one with soft touch plastics on the fascia to.

As yours car already has the relocated heater panel from the factory that area remains untouched .

It comes with the bottom bit but of course you wouldn't use it; I couldn't use theirs anyway as it's for a LHD car; the heater relocation panels are curved/handed from the factory.

Yes, it's a bit of cash but it does save on guesswork, fabrication and most importantly, time .

Ignoring the heater relocation panel stuff here's a video showing how mine was installed. Warning; it's a long video! I really should have done one when I did mine. It's nowhere near as daunting as it looks or sounds.

I'll be honest, I don't mind the looks of mine but I'm aware others do. After using a factory Nav in a mate's car I doubt I'd go back. It's a very slick HU to use and the CarPlay is a damn handy thing to have, moreso than the Bluetooth was previously. If I was doing it again I'd potentially hold out for an Alpine iLX-702E46 but I prefer the looks of the Sony with less buttons along the bottom and a rotary knob.

To my knowledge Waze isn't on CarPlay yet, or at least it hasn't popped onto mine. I have the following apps on CarPlay:
-Messages(Vocal)
-WhatsApp(Vocal)
-Radioplayer (Internet streaming)
-Spotify
-Deezer
-Maps
-Phone
-Music
-BBC iPlayer Radio; I rarely use this as Radioplayer has more of the stations I want (Absolute etc.).

Mine does do Android Auto but I've yet to try an Android phone. That and I haven't hooked up my handbrake cable; Android Auto needs a changing Handbrake signal to work; It's a bit wise to being permanently grounded (yes, I tried that one...).

Last edited by M3Chas; 23rd July 2018 at 07:08 PM.
M3Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2018, 09:05 PM   #7
Coops

Thanks M3Chas, apprecaite you taking the time to reply with lots of helpful details too

Looking at the fitting kits I like the Enfig but with $50 shipping I wondered if the connects2 kit was just as good as I can get that from the same supplier as Dennis linked for the head unit but the picture of the kit on their looks a bit odd https://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/pro...11_p-33785.htm.

Iíll give the supplier a call tomorrow and watch the video, the only bit Iím unsure of is the running of the extended cables back to the boot as Iím not sure where they run in a vert (hopefully thatís in the video).

I took the time to have a read of your car thread and realised weíd both had an Mk1 RS Turbo, looks like yours had some upgrades as mine was breathed on by Mountune and had Leda suspension. Horrendous torque steer was the main problem when the boost kicked in - I hope yourís was more reliable than mine as it spent 30% of its life in the dealers getting fixed (gearbox, multiple downpipes etc.etc.).

Thanks again,
Al.
Old 24th July 2018, 04:28 PM   #8
M3Chas
Achieved official socks

Car: 2003 BMW M3
Colour Combo: Mystic Blue/Grey

The Enfig kit is made by Metra. I am guessing the Connects2 kit is too so don't quote me on it.

Metra do two version of that kit. The super sticking-out version like yours is the one having the bulkhead uncut. I have the 'slimmer' version. Enfig only do this with the heater cutout panel and revised demister arm, so as to keep the heater controls fully operational (I'm willing to bet most fully sized Double DIN users have compromised this part as the screen demister actuator/rod gets in the way).

I have tried to get the kit from Metra, but only the upper panels like you need. Unfortately, they weren't interested and only sell the entire kit (heater box panel for once it's been cut etc.) which is why I went with the Enfig kit.

This the Connects2 kit you need. Of course, you'll have stuff you won't need in it unfortunately. The other way would be to get the Enfig kit but find a friend/family based in the 'States to make it cheaper. You can now see why I was considering either the Alpine kit or modifying my single DIN cage, albeit with more fabrication time put aside.

http://caraudiosecurity.com/ct23bm17...ia-fitting-kit

As for my RS Turbo, snap! Mine was a bit of a beast! And yes, it did suffer from torque steer a little! Despite being fully rebuilt and a low mileage car mine wasn't terribly reliable either!
M3Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2018, 09:22 PM   #9
Coops

HIya - yep you were right they are the same kits - Iíve found the one you mention at the UK seller (the one that Dennis posted originally) for about £10 less as you say a few bits I wonít need.

On the RS Turbo I had it from new and like so many cars I had I regret selling it now but that goes for many of us now!! THe money they go for now is unreal...

MInd you if there was one just car I had that Iíd like to drive again it would be the Lancia Beta volumex (2ltr supercharged) that was just mad...

Thanks again for the help, now to work out all the cabling and cradles I need...
Old 5th August 2018, 04:15 PM   #10
Coops

Fitted the unit today / yesterday and its a pretty good system. CarPlay still has a way to go for me as its limited (no Waze) but what it does do it does well.

In the end up didn’t need quite a few of the parts I bought and will be listing these for sale unopened to recoup a bit of the outlay.

For anyone thinking these things don’t work with HK it was straightforward and simple to do (apart for routing the cable from front to rear).

I bought all the bits from Dynamic Sounds including the Meta kit CT23BM17 which left me with some extra bits as I didn’t need the relocation panel / airbox template etc. I also used the 5m loom CT20BM06 and this includes everything including the cabling to re-route the aerial. Mine is an early facelift with flat pins.

Will put up a picture of the unit installed but looks pretty good, steering wheel controls work too! Will try out the various options but DAB+/Spotify/CarPlay/Radio all work well.
Old 5th August 2018, 08:12 PM   #11
Coops

Oh and having watched lots of YouTube videos etc - if you happen to have a Vert and HK then this is part 1 of 2 and the best I found. Its a bit old but it has the right details.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eNrte_lUZGE
Old 6th August 2018, 04:46 PM   #12
Ellerslie
Achieved official socks

Car: 2005 E46 M3 Manual CoupŤ
Colour Combo: Silver / Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExCop530dT View Post
Hi,

This is the new fully featured, shallow depth double DIN head unit from Kenwood and which also comes in at a fantastic price level. This is the first unit that has all the features in one unit, Android Auto & Apple CarPlay, DAB digital radio, shallow depth and a clean smooth/clutter free front screen. Waze support on Android Auto (the recent update that Waze also works on Apple Carplay should, I'd have thought be availabe too) Spotify support, electronic EQ and Time Alignment and crossover. Pricing level looks around the £400 level which I think is absolutely fantastic !

For anyone looking to upgrade, this unit has the best checklist for those still deciding which is the right unit to go for. I'm sure more unit's will come out over the next year or two as well, but this one really looks like a solid unit to go for!

Cheers, Dennis!
Hi, I've just bought one of these, a jl amp and sub, focal components.

I need someone to install it all tidily.

Any recommendations? I'm in East Hertfordshire, not far from Stansted.

Thanks
Ellerslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2018, 04:55 PM   #13
dino
Achieved official socks

Car: 2018 M2
Colour Combo: Black/Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExCop530dT View Post
Hi,

Cheers, Dennis!
Dennis forgive my ignorance but my car has Nav/HK do I need any external amps to power the speakers or does this utilise the BM54?
dino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2018, 06:58 PM   #14
Coops

Hiya Dino - I just did exactly this in my M3 with HK. You can dump the BM54 with the 5m extension (make sure you know if itís flat or round pins!). Itís relatively straightforward to do but sort out the facia / cage as per M3Chasís post above - I linked to what I purchase above. Good luck and itís a good upgrade - Iím going to try and sort the video playback as you need to wire that to the handbrake (I understand there is a work around!).
Old 6th August 2018, 07:35 PM   #15
dino
Achieved official socks

Car: 2018 M2
Colour Combo: Black/Black

Quote:
Hiya Dino - I just did exactly this in my M3 with HK. You can dump the BM54 with the 5m extension (make sure you know if itís flat or round pins!). Itís relatively straightforward to do but sort out the facia / cage as per M3Chasís post above - I linked to what I purchase above. Good luck and itís a good upgrade - Iím going to try and sort the video playback as you need to wire that to the handbrake (I understand there is a work around!).
Thanks

So does the Kenwood have itís own internal amp that can power all the speakers in the e46?
dino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2018, 08:15 PM   #16
Coops

Hiya - sorry no I don’t think it can drive the full set in the BMW if you have HK. If you want to drive the full set then do what I did where I wired mine in to the HK Amp - you connect the far end of the Fakra cable https://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/ct20...ptor-lead.html in to the cable you unplug from the BM54 and then the other end goes into the steering harness / ISO adaptor. You can drive speakers direct via the ISO harness by the looks of things (50w x 4) or drive an amp using the pre-outs.

Hope this helps...
Old 6th August 2018, 08:19 PM   #17
325i

Car: M3

Quote:
Simply earth that cable rather wiring it to the handbrake.
325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2018, 08:31 PM   #18
Coops

Hi mate, Iím going to try that but when I googled it originally some folks said they were wise to that and it wouldnít work! Iíl try it and see thoí. Thanks Al
Old 6th August 2018, 10:35 PM   #19
ExCop530dT
Achieved official socks

Hi

Ellerslie - Nice selection of products there! Installation is key to getting a good level of performance. I'll always recommend the higher end of installers who have both the expertise and experience to install properly without cutting corners and just 'throwing it all in' to the car. The Four network http://www.fourcaraudio.co.uk/ is a well respected and known network of such specialists. Given you are close to Stansted area, speak to Bloomz car Audio - http://www.bloomz.co.uk/. I'd suggest talking to a few other specialists as well !

Dino - You don't need the BM54 unit, and I'd suggest as an initial upgrade to get some of the E46 upgrade specific speakers from the likes of MBQuart, Gladen and I think Rockford Fosgate do some too. I think there's a few other brands with E46 specific speakers (MTX etc I think..) These will easily outperform the mediocre oem speakers. Later, as time and funds allow, you can then drive them with an external amplifier and they'll play even better - assuming you install them correctly and well i.e upgraded baffles/pods.

Cheers, Dennis!
Old 6th August 2018, 10:47 PM   #20
James92
A mere Chipper

Car: 2002 E46 M3

This looks like a pretty good alternative to the more expensive alpine unit, look forward to hearing a few more reviews as I would love to play my own music and update the screen a bit!
James92 is offline   Reply With Quote