The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum

Go Back   The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum > M3cutters Garage > Track-days

Old 13th June 2018, 09:38 AM   #81
robsoup
Achieved official socks

Car: 2004 BMW E46 M3, 2014 Audi Q5, 2015 Yamaha MT-07

All sounds good! Let us know how you find the mediums compared to the softs when you get a chance
robsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11th July 2018, 10:16 AM   #82
robsoup
Achieved official socks

How do the zestino tyres compare to the nankang ar1? A mate had the ar1s on his e36, and they seemed bloody good!
Old 23rd July 2018, 10:12 PM   #83
robmarrs
Wearing official underwear

Car: BMW M3 e46 SMG Coupe - Track Car
Colour Combo: Carbon Black/ Stripped out

Just done my first track day (Thruxton) on the Zestino 07RS in medium compound in 30 degree track temperatures.

They are amazing, only one slight moment early on, more due to never having driven the circuit, great grip, and very good wear rates, loads of tread left.

As good as the AR1's that were on the car previously, and £4-500 cheaper!
robmarrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2018, 09:32 AM   #84
robsoup
Achieved official socks

Good to know Rob. I wonder whether it's better to go medium or soft... I'm guessing in this heat the mediums are actually the better choice? In general I want to be able to do up to 30mins per stint (but usually less).
Old 24th July 2018, 10:36 AM   #85
cpgalvin
On the path

Car: E46 M3 2004 Manual Coupe (New!) Porsche 997.2 C4S Manual (Sold) E46 M3 2005 Manual Coupe (Sold)

I'm off to Oulton on Friday with my newly fitted 07RS on 18's... will let you know how I get on but as you all, heard great reviews.

Previously I was running 888R's so curious to see the difference.
cpgalvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2018, 01:17 PM   #86
robsoup
Achieved official socks

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpgalvin View Post
I'm off to Oulton on Friday with my newly fitted 07RS on 18's... will let you know how I get on but as you all, heard great reviews.

Previously I was running 888R's so curious to see the difference.
Is that soft, medium, or hard?
Old 24th July 2018, 01:41 PM   #87
cpgalvin
On the path

Car: E46 M3 2004 Manual Coupe (New!) Porsche 997.2 C4S Manual (Sold) E46 M3 2005 Manual Coupe (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robsoup View Post
Is that soft, medium, or hard?
Soft... I'll share my thoughts early next week.

For reference, my car is running standard kerb weight (-25kg for seat delete), but well set up.
Old 24th July 2018, 03:10 PM   #88
robmarrs

Car: BMW M3 e46 SMG Coupe - Track Car
Colour Combo: Carbon Black/ Stripped out

Quote:
Good to know Rob. I wonder whether it's better to go medium or soft... I'm guessing in this heat the mediums are actually the better choice? In general I want to be able to do up to 30mins per stint (but usually less).
They were soft and very sticky to the touch after about 5-6 laps of Thruxton, didn't do much more at a time due to the very high track temps, but not rolled any rubber which is what happens if you have too soft a compound. I suspect if they were softs then they would probably have been killed in yesterdays heat. My car is fairly light at under a tad under 1300kg, it's just the driver that fooks it up with 140kg of lard sitting in the pilots seat

Tyre temps were around 69įc on the nearside and 64įc on the offside (clockwise circuit) with my spot meter after a minute or two after leaving the circuit iirc. Was adjusting pressures to 30 psi a few times during the day.

For 30 minute stints, 10 or so laps at Bedford which is my sort of norm there I still think medium would be the best bet, I used to run medium/hard AO48 on my heavyweight E34 and they were superb, I say go soft if you want ultimate grip and times if you want to pay the extra premium or are actually competing

Last edited by robmarrs; 24th July 2018 at 08:03 PM.
robmarrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2018, 02:24 PM   #89
cpgalvin
On the path

Quote:
Soft... I'll share my thoughts early next week.

For reference, my car is running standard kerb weight (-25kg for seat delete), but well set up.
So back in 1 piece from Oulton, first time out there, fantastic track, you don't get a moments rest. Enjoyed it massively.

Heat was a real issue, not so much for the tyres but engine and breaks (running K-Sport 8 pot and floating discs), never seen the water temp creep up so quickly towards the red.

The softs performed really well, I was running too low pressure to begin with (31/32 cold) so was getting tyre roll and slightly uneven wear in the middle, but then pumped them up to 35-36 (running 40 hot) and they were on point.

They did get sticky, but not to the point of destroying themselves. Part of the reason was I could only do 2-3 hot laps max before needing to back off.

Running near standard kurb weight, I didn't notice much difference between the 888R's and these.

I'm not and the car isn't at the stage yet where I'm hunting for the last tenths but that may all come depending on plans to lighten the car

I'd recommend them and curious to know what the mediums would have performed like

If anyone is interested I'll try to upload some pics post Oulton.
Old 30th July 2018, 09:49 PM   #90
PSimmo
On the path

Car: 2002 M3 Coupe

Quote:
So back in 1 piece from Oulton, first time out there, fantastic track, you don't get a moments rest. Enjoyed it massively.

Heat was a real issue, not so much for the tyres but engine and breaks (running K-Sport 8 pot and floating discs), never seen the water temp creep up so quickly towards the red.

The softs performed really well, I was running too low pressure to begin with (31/32 cold) so was getting tyre roll and slightly uneven wear in the middle, but then pumped them up to 35-36 (running 40 hot) and they were on point.

They did get sticky, but not to the point of destroying themselves. Part of the reason was I could only do 2-3 hot laps max before needing to back off.

Running near standard kurb weight, I didn't notice much difference between the 888R's and these.

I'm not and the car isn't at the stage yet where I'm hunting for the last tenths but that may all come depending on plans to lighten the car

I'd recommend them and curious to know what the mediums would have performed like

Is this on an E46?

I run the softs myself and have been very impressed, although run much lower pressures... I keep mine at 30psi hot. Horrendous understeer when the fronts get up to 36psi let alone 40! I wouldn't be worried about tyre roll as the sidewalls are very stiff, the stiffest me or my tyre-fitter have come across!

A quick note on the mediums, haven't tried them myself but was at Thruxton with Robmars using them and he seemed to be going very well!
PSimmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2018, 12:32 AM   #91
JamieDJA
Achieved official socks

Car: E92 M3, E46 M3, E36 M3, E92 335d, 8V A3 2.0 TDi SLINE
Colour Combo: Various

Quote:

Woah!

Thatís some seriously high pressures on track. I aim for 28 psi hot in track, any higher and it doesnít feel right. I canít imagine how mental 40psi feels
JamieDJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2018, 10:45 AM   #92
cpgalvin
On the path

Appreciate the feedback on the pressures...

Prior to the track day I did some online search and people with E46 M3 recommended running them higher pressures.

I wasn't convinced so was running them around 31/32 after a couple of bed in sessions (as new on) and the tyre due to roll seemed to be rubbing on the nearside left arch through Cascade. - This could be a damper issue however.

Then took them higher, performance wasn't hugely affected (only doing 2-3 hot laps per session due to heat) but wasn't convinced running them that much hotter.

I'll be heading out again in Oct so perhaps i'll go lower again given the comments from PSimmo that the side walls are super stiff.
Old 31st July 2018, 08:17 PM   #93
Warren6m

Car: E36 Track day car

I think Iím going to try a set of these on my E36 with seeing all these good reviews. These are the prices I got quoted for a 17 inch rim

235/45/17 prices plus VAT
Soft £79.50 each full set
Medium £70 each
Hard £57.50

Set of softs are £380 compared to £670 for a set of AR1s so think Iím
Going to go for it
Warren6m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2018, 08:56 PM   #94
robsoup
Achieved official socks

Good info on here. I think for a full weight car (mine was last weighed at 1550kg) the mediums might be the better tyre, especially for me since I like to do 20-30min stints ideally.

Usually I find that around 33psi hot seems a good compromise. Too soft and it feels like the sidewalls are starting to roll under cornering (at least I find that with cup2s if I go below about 31psi).

I'll look into getting a set of these and trying them out. If I'm not happy, then there's always the Trofeo Rs, or the new Cup 2Rs to try (but then we are talking big bucks).

I too had overheating issues on my last couple of hot trackdays so I am going to look into this (will probably end up replacing the nearly 14yr old radiator), as it's only the water temps that seem to be affected.
Old 1st August 2018, 01:26 AM   #95
PSimmo
On the path

Car: 2002 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Good info on here. I think for a full weight car (mine was last weighed at 1550kg) the mediums might be the better tyre, especially for me since I like to do 20-30min stints ideally.

Usually I find that around 33psi hot seems a good compromise. Too soft and it feels like the sidewalls are starting to roll under cornering (at least I find that with cup2s if I go below about 31psi).

I'll look into getting a set of these and trying them out. If I'm not happy, then there's always the Trofeo Rs, or the new Cup 2Rs to try (but then we are talking big bucks).

I too had overheating issues on my last couple of hot trackdays so I am going to look into this (will probably end up replacing the nearly 14yr old radiator), as it's only the water temps that seem to be affected.
Do it Rob

Although I would still say the softs are the better bet as I've been very impressed with wear, my first set are still going strong!
PSimmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2018, 03:28 PM   #96
cpgalvin
On the path

Quote:

As mentioned I had this water temp issue and given my car is at 96k (however only done 4k in 18 months) I'm tempted to get a quick compression test done on the cylinders to make sure I've not an issue with the gasket which may be causing this.

I'm not getting any of the classic noises but i'd rather prevent an issue than deal with a ££££ hole when at some point it will go!
Old 13th August 2018, 06:03 PM   #97
Wolwo
A mere Chipper

Car: 2003 M3 Titan Silver
Colour Combo: Titan Silver

So with Destination Nurburgring fast approaching this will be our second outing on the Zestinos. We were there in May and thought the tyres performed brilliantly. Preferred them to the Toyos and similar to the Dunlops only significantly cheaper. I really like the stiff sidewalls and there was not a huge sign of wear. Weather could cause us a few issues if last few weeks is anything to go by - but to be honest wouldnt hesitate getting another set.
Wolwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2018, 06:47 PM   #98
Pdelamare
Achieved official socks

Car: E92 M3, Mercedes E63 5.5, Caterham Levante, Smart Prime

I may not get around to using my set of these tyres, in medium compound. Anyone want them? 265/35/18 x 4, brand new.
Pdelamare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2018, 07:28 PM   #99
billyboym3
Achieved official socks

Car: 2004 BMW M3
Colour Combo: E46 M3

I did a 2.09 lap at snetteton on them in a E46 M3. Scrubbed in on road.
billyboym3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2018, 07:29 PM   #100
billyboym3
Achieved official socks

Car: 2004 BMW M3
Colour Combo: E46 M3

https://youtu.be/CcEaXygt4ic
billyboym3 is offline   Reply With Quote