The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum

Go Back   The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum > Other BMWs and other marques > Bikes. Trikes?

Old 23rd May 2017, 11:49 AM   #21
mattwade24
Wearing official underwear

Car: E46 M3
Colour Combo: Steel Grey / Cinnamon

My first (and current) bike is a K8 GSXR1000 at 24. I have limited previous experience riding big bikes.

As long as you're not a complete idiot, you can respect the bike and understand you'll never be as capable as it is, you'll be fine.
mattwade24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 23rd May 2017, 05:54 PM   #22
Iatm
Achieved official socks

Car: M6 Gran Coupe LCI

I have to say I envy you guys a lot.
Always wanted to and part of me still wants to own and ride a bike. in my younger days I went for my CBT etc

but when it came the the crunch I just didnt want to ride.
Simply I shat it that if I crashed I'd be cake mix on the road

Back to the post. Id say out of many of the 600-650cc bike the R6 upon reading up on them was the most brutal of them: the least forgiving.

GSXR was apparantly a good one and the daytona.
For me I LOVED the look of the r6, especially the model that had the black/matt black paint job and gold wheels/detailing, I am sure it was a 06 special edition of some sort.

If it were me I think id pick the daytona.
Everyone is different - I didnt want to piss about on a 125 either.
Iatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2017, 08:43 PM   #23
7MC
On the path

Car: F80 M3 Mineral White

My first bike was a 2006 R6 and it is a fantastic bit of kit, does everything i needed of it very well. Its a case of being switched on until you start to get riding experience though as the bike has a lot more capability that you do!

Mine will be getting replaced soon though for something that is a bit more comfortable for commuting but still has a fun factor so trying to decide what.
7MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2017, 07:09 AM   #24
DanV8
Wearing official robes

Car: 2009 M3
Colour Combo: Silverstone //

My first bike was a 2007 zx6r at 24. Not too dissimilar. I did try try R6 but the zx6 was less harsh to ride and cheaper to insure surprisingly.

I've had a few bikes now, 2010 s1000rr, 2012 s1000rr, 2011 zx10r, gixxer k8 thou, big bang r1's etc etc.

My favourite and one I wish I never sold was my gsxr 1000 k6 phantom. I had that inbetween some modern top spec bikes and that is still my favourite by far.

In my opinion, there isn't much between bikes these days, some have more toys than others, some have a bit more bhp, but in my opinion, it means bugger all unless you can actually gel with the bike and feel comfortable pushing it and using those horses.

So for me, the k6 felt right, I got on with that bike. Loved riding it.

Test many bikes and see which suits you the best mate
DanV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2017, 07:11 AM   #25
DanV8
Wearing official robes

Car: 2009 M3
Colour Combo: Silverstone //

Forgot to add...

I'm attempting to give up riding for now... want to focus on cars for a bit.

In the future, I want to be looking at the Aprillia rsv RF and tuono equivalent, I like them
DanV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2017, 03:45 PM   #26
sitronic
Rocking a new hat

Car: M3
Colour Combo: beige

my first bike was a ZXR 750...literally just passed my test and had already bought the bike..
However, if you want a piece of solid gold advice:

1) Get the bike you love the look of the most and can afford, but have some spare cash for the inevitable servicing and you will also need to set some money aside for...

2) Enrolment onto the California Superbike School Level 1.

You will learn more in one day on this course than you will from 20 years of road riding...
I've never, ever heard anyone say otherwise...
Level 1 teaches you the fundamentals of cornering..the physics of motorcycle riding, your impact on that and how to keep the bike stable using proper inputs...You will be far, far safer, more relaxed, faster, and won't have the survival reactions kicking in everytime you swing your leg over the thing...
In fact, i would recommend you do one level every year until you've hit level 4, the repeat level 4 whenever you want to improve..
Investing in these courses was the best thing i ever did for my riding..Modern bikes are so good and so fast, why buy carbon bling and accessories when you can invest in life skills and really get the most out of yourself and the bike, whilst taking all of the guess work out of it?
sitronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2017, 03:49 PM   #27
sitronic
Rocking a new hat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanV8 View Post
Forgot to add...

I'm attempting to give up riding for now... want to focus on cars for a bit.

In the future, I want to be looking at the Aprillia rsv RF and tuono equivalent, I like them
Dan i noticed you've had loads of Japanese bikes (apart from the BM)...If you buy an Italian bike you will NEVER go back to Jap stuff...the build quality, the styling, the noise...they're intoxicating mate.
Old 3rd June 2017, 12:43 AM   #28
splking
Wearing official underwear

Car: R35 GTR

My first bike was a Suzuki RGV250... just like this one:

Fantastic thing, but a real handful. I crashed it not long after I bought it after a wild tank-slapper on WOT. Very lucky to come out of that with very few injuries....

Then i moved to a TL1000R, great bike, but heavy and slow to turn.... sounded great and looked the part too.

Went onto a 2002 R1 after that, a great all round bike with really nice balance and good all round manners. Nice riding position too... enjoyed that a lot.

Then a KTM RC8, awful bike for the road, hydraulic clutch, heavy to operate and really tall first gear meant it was quite impractical, but it sounded fantastic with the akra I had on it, it would get so many compliments.

I've now got an old ZX10R c2h, more than enough power for me.... race prepped engine, quickshifter and all carbon. 13yrs old now, but still looks decent. I don't ride enough to justify a new 1000cc, but i love how the new 2017 R1 looks.

In my experience, the 250cc was the most dangerous bike of them all... It all comes down to the rider ultimately, and how patient and aware you are of your own learning curve and the inherent hazards in riding something that can do 100mph and offer you no protection in the event of an accident. All bikes above 125cc can go plenty fast enough, just reign your ego in and you'll be fine.

Enjoy whatever you choose and stay safe!

H

Last edited by splking; 3rd June 2017 at 12:44 AM. Reason: photo link
splking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2017, 10:55 PM   #29
sitronic
Rocking a new hat

I was following my mate who was on an RGV 250..His missus had just bought it as her first bike and we were coming home from the dealers...Mad Mick had a ZXR750 at the time (we both did) so he didn't treat it with much respect..Anyway, he was slinging it around a roundabout, and a plastic 2ltr pop bottle rolled across his path...Hanging off like a monkey he just rode over it..This caused it to spin up the rear wheel and slide, instigating the mother of all high sides..He flung a good 20 feet across the road and into a hedge...Good bye collar bone...hip, knee, elbow...
The bike was smashed to bits..

Good times.
Old 10th August 2017, 11:30 AM   #30
TouringRob
Achieved official socks

Car: M3 Touring

SV650's are probably one of the best first bikes out there, really forgiving and cheap. I loved mine. I was disappointed by the step 'up' to a CBR600rr and wish I had just gone for the 1000rr to begin with which is an awesome bike.

Mates first bike was an R6 - after several months of growing confidence he did a dodgy as feck over take and ended up in a wall in someones garden - broke a LOT of bones but thankfully survived. I personally wouldn't recommend something like that for a young beginner - we all make silly choices when we are 18/19 and a silly choice on a 600 is different to one on a 125....
TouringRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2017, 07:39 AM   #31
scottys.m3
Achieved official socks

Car: 2006 m3
Colour Combo: silver grey an red leather

R6 at 17. Just be sensible
scottys.m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2017, 07:51 AM   #32
DOWIE M3
On the path

Car: E92 Individual 335i coupe & a Mini Cooper S
Colour Combo: Individual ruby Black / platinum

Interesting read - I've just passed my CBT and bought a nearly new CBR125 - gets delivered today. Bering 37 and having kids, I'm far too old/wise/sensible to be an idiot - always the what if comes to mind BUT I hope to be riding something bigger in the coming months
DOWIE M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2018, 03:18 PM   #33
dogz111
A mere Chipper

Any bike can kill you or put you in dangerous situation whether its a 125, 600, 750 or 1000 and its 99% of the time rider error as they haven't foreseen a hazard - as a new rider you need to learn some decent roadcraft. Get the miles in, do advanced training and possibly do the IAM or similar

You certainly can go out and buy a 1000 if you wish, saying you will show restraint. I bet after a few weeks or months you will have the throttle pinned. That's all fine, but on a 1000 speed builds very quickly and your observation skills won't be honed on what constitutes a danger. When you are doing 140mph on an A road and Doris pulls out as she hasn't seen you and didn't expect you to be doing that sort of speed it can spell disaster

I went 650S --> ZX6R --> R6 --> 675 Daytona --> S1000RR
dogz111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2018, 04:25 PM   #34
fstorm
Achieved official socks

Car: 2005 M3 CS manual
Colour Combo: Interlagos Blue/Black

Went from a 180cc scooter to a 1000cc twin. Loved it.
The 1000cc was so much safer, it handled and steered so much better.

I found the most dangerous bike I've ever been on was the 125cc training bike. It was a hateful thing, gutless, poor gear change and wooden brakes. Though a new or looked after 125cc is probably a different proposition. An Aprilia 125cc would be fun.

Gilera 180cc > VFR1000 > VFR400 > Ducati Multistrada > BMW 1100GS > SP1 > Kwak Z1000

Last edited by fstorm; 9th July 2018 at 04:30 PM.
fstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2018, 10:30 PM   #35
BSM
Rocking a new hat

Car: 2002 BMW M3

I bought a GSXR750 the day before I did my CBT and did nearly 500 miles on it the day I passed my test.

Try and get yourself on a police bikesafe course. It’s a cheap way to be get an idea on how to ride a bike safely.

The bike is never the problem. Just take it easy and ride to your ability. The biggest thing is to use your eyes and look well ahead of you. If you can’t see it you can’t react to it.
BSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2018, 10:55 PM   #36
stuartk
Achieved official socks

Car: F10 M5 & E89 Z4 & M2
Colour Combo: Monte Carlo Blue/ Silverstone Merino Leather @ Mineral White/ Red leather

My first is an R6 rossi edition.

It's been great.
stuartk is offline   Reply With Quote