The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum

Go Back   The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum > M3 and M4 Talk > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Old 15th April 2018, 10:26 PM   #1
Cliff J
Wearing official robes

Car: E46 M3 SMG 2004 Convertible
Colour Combo: Carbon black / Black leather
Default HSD coilover height adjustment

I've just fitted HSD coilovers, I still need to fine tune the ride height but I feel I'm missing something!!?

I understand that to lower the front ride height I need to loosen off the lowest locking collar, then spin the entire shock above down into the lower part of the strut, but that would mean the drop link mount would spin and so every time I need to adjust I would have to remove the drop link? Is that right?

Cliff J is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 15th April 2018, 10:56 PM   #2
harrypevo
Achieved official socks

Car: E30 m3, e36 m3, mk2 gti

Unbolt droplinks from the strut, loosen the lowest locking collar, then use the droplink bracket as a handy way of spinning the damper body. Just make sure the bracket is in the same position when you lock it back up.

Do both sides the same number of turns and you shouldn't have added any preload to the arb so won't have to adjust the brackets.

It is an extra step, but they're a lot easier to turn than winding a collar against the spring preload, and realistically it's not something you're going to be doing every week.
harrypevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2018, 09:58 AM   #3
Cliff J
Wearing official robes

Car: E46 M3 SMG 2004 Convertible
Colour Combo: Carbon black / Black leather

Much appreciated, I couldn’t see any other way but it just felt a little foreign, having owned several sets of coilovers before but never like these.
Cliff J is offline   Reply With Quote