The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum

Go Back   The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum > M3 and M4 Talk > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Old 13th April 2018, 02:22 PM   #1
Stu78
Achieved official socks

Car: M3
Default SMG Expert

I recently had a new GPS Sensor fitted and had my mate check the clutch and flywheel and all was good. A small leak on the slave cylinder was spotted and that’s been sorted out now.

The car has had the SMG setup done again after the GPS was fitted and it went through fine without any issues. Also the clutch has been bled too.

The car now crunches slightly when engaging R or 1st. When running the car changes gear perfect. Occasionally the car will skip 1st and engage 2nd so need to pull off in 2nd gear. When it misses 1st the idle will be up and down a little until the idle then steadies out.

Any ideas of where to go next? Their are no error codes either.

My mate has given it me back and has not even charged me for fitting the GPS Sensor and sorting the slave cylinder out as he feels bad that my issue is not 100% sorted.

I am near Liverpool so anyone know of a good BMW expert who knows about SMG. Just want to get this little issue sorted now before selling the car in the summer.

I do have a laptop with inpa so can do some tests or changes myself if needed if someon has any ideas.

Last edited by Stu78; 13th April 2018 at 02:38 PM.
Stu78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 13th April 2018, 02:31 PM   #2
pritpal
Achieved official socks

Car: 2003 BMW M3 CONVERTIBLE

i had slave cylinder and gps changed

they did adaptation and was skipping gears, not sure about the crunch

but maybe run gear adaption again, when i did mine second time all was perfect
pritpal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2018, 02:39 PM   #3
Chady
Rocking a new hat

Car: csl
Colour Combo: Sg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu78 View Post
I recently had a new GPS Sensor fitted and had my mate check the clutch and flywheel and all was good. A small leak on the slave cylinder was spotted and that’s been sorted out now.

The car has had the SMG setup done again after the GPS was fitted and it went through fine without any issues.

The car now crunches slightly when engaging R or 1st. When running the car changes gear perfect. Occasionally the car will skip 1st and engage 2nd so need to pull off in 2nd gear. When it misses 1st the idle will be up and down a little until the idle then steadies out.

Any ideas of where to go next? Their are no error codes either.

My mate has given it me back and has not even charged me for fitting the GPS Sensor and sorting the slave cylinder out as he feels bad that my issue is not 100% sorted.

I am near Liverpool so anyone know of a good BMW expert who knows about SMG. Just want to get this little issue sorted now before selling the car in the summer.

I do have a laptop with inpa so can do some tests or changes myself if needed if someon has any ideas.
Hope he did the compression spring and pin while he was doing gps , possibly checking clutch bearing etc, also correct me if I’m wrong shouldn’t take off and refit old pressure plate without useing locking tool for self adjusting mechanisms, new pressure plate that’s ok
Chady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2018, 02:50 PM   #4
M4rius
Achieved official socks

Car: E46 M3 SMG
Colour Combo: Yellow/Kiwi

slave cylinder need bleeding .
M4rius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2018, 03:57 PM   #5
Stu78
Achieved official socks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chady View Post
Hope he did the compression spring and pin while he was doing gps , possibly checking clutch bearing etc, also correct me if Iím wrong shouldnít take off and refit old pressure plate without useing locking tool for self adjusting mechanisms, new pressure plate thatís ok
I replaced 2 springs in that area which I got when I ordered the GPS.

No idea on pressure plate mate tbh.
Old 13th April 2018, 03:58 PM   #6
Stu78
Achieved official socks

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4rius View Post
slave cylinder need bleeding .
He did the clutch so guess he would of done all that too.
Old 13th April 2018, 04:05 PM   #7
cossie1
Achieved official socks

Car: 2002 M3 Coupe
Colour Combo: Jet Black / Black

Run it through the full adaptation process again with inpa, and see how it goes.
cossie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2018, 04:13 PM   #8
Stu78
Achieved official socks

Quote:
Originally Posted by cossie1 View Post
Run it through the full adaptation process again with inpa, and see how it goes.
Yeah will give it a go. He did it with his machine he has that he uses on all cars so it hasnít been done with inpa. It went through he said in about an hour and he gave me the print out.

Iím not home yet so will see what the print out says.
Old 13th April 2018, 07:54 PM   #9
Stu78
Achieved official socks

Well to say i'm p****d off is an understatement.

Car has now started doing what it did when it broke down a few months ago. It seems the new GPS sensor has done F***K ALL.

Now my car hunts for 1st and Reverse and crunches like metal sound as it goes in gear again. Not as bad as last time but still does it. I can select 1st or reverse and it flashes and you just hear it trying to go in gear and a little thud as it's trying and it can try for about 6 goes then go in but if i try and pull away while it's trying it goes in gear and I can move and drive it.

I pulled up at the house and then as it selected 1st the revs started to go up and down like as if the clutch was not pushed in and it was wanting to cut out. This only happened when the engine temp was at 100 and did not happen on the drive earlier on.

I don't know what else to try as i've wasted over £300 on a GPS so my next thought it could it be clutch? He said the clutch was fine when checked? Had it been doubtful he would of done it for me.

When changing gear it does drag a little like in a manual when you change and ride the clutch as you accelerate it sort of slips and then picks up again. This is what is making me think it's clutch related now.

I do have a cog that came on just ealrier which I will go and see what it is and update this when I have but I really am fed up now.

The car will be sold soon and spending all this money on it is not sitting well when i'm not even keeping the car to enjoy it once fixed.

Last edited by Stu78; 14th April 2018 at 05:14 AM.
Old 13th April 2018, 08:38 PM   #10
Chady
Rocking a new hat

Quote:
I replaced 2 springs in that area which I got when I ordered the GPS.

No idea on pressure plate mate tbh.
spring and pin behind knock in plug is the one that gives the the problem with adaptations, as gps needs to read this central points as as it moves through its shift pattern, links with slave cylinder sensor points for proper clutch position etc. Spring and pin is critical on smg ,, in my opinion lots of gps’s get needlessly replaced at £300 apop, not saying they don’t fail Ps pin needs to be correctly oriented to locate correctly in selector shaft notches or it will skip over notches. I’d Ask if he checked the pin position Also clutch is self adjusting I recon it would have to be completely foooked before they give any real issues,

Last edited by Chady; 13th April 2018 at 08:47 PM.
Old 13th April 2018, 11:05 PM   #11
Stu78
Achieved official socks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chady View Post
spring and pin behind knock in plug is the one that gives the the problem with adaptations, as gps needs to read this central points as as it moves through its shift pattern, links with slave cylinder sensor points for proper clutch position etc. Spring and pin is critical on smg ,, in my opinion lots of gps’s get needlessly replaced at £300 apop, not saying they don’t fail Ps pin needs to be correctly oriented to locate correctly in selector shaft notches or it will skip over notches. I’d Ask if he checked the pin position Also clutch is self adjusting I recon it would have to be completely foooked before they give any real issues,
Hi mate,

Thing is this went suddenly one day last year and all pointed to GPS. He's had it all back together and fitted the 2 new springs that were by the GPS. He's done the smg calibration process and all gears select ok when driving. The issue is when not driving 1st and R grind / thud in from stand still. 1st tries about 6 to 10 times before it goes in and you can hear it try. Really odd

Tonight was mad worse by the fact my battery died on me. It seems even after a run tonight and it's been on trickle charge too, it must be foooked. Had to stick a jump pack on it to move it back on the drive. Gonna get a Bosch battery tomorrow for it. This may cause some issues if the battery is screwed.

The error codes I have had twice after clearing them twice too are,

SMG DME - error 48 - gear not changeable

Occured 3 times and gave implausible battery / sporadic value

ENGINE DME - error 223 pressure intaken manifold

0100 - broken wire / value missing - error present or static error

Error 130 - EWS Signal Manipulation

Start Value empty / error present

The EWS will prob be as I am running CSL Map that Mike did for me and EWS is disabled.

The gearbox dme is also running CSL software version 255

I really need an SMG speciailist near Liverpool or somewhere close I can have the car sent to?
Old 14th April 2018, 07:02 AM   #12
Chady
Rocking a new hat

Quote:
Hi mate,

Thing is this went suddenly one day last year and all pointed to GPS. He's had it all back together and fitted the 2 new springs that were by the GPS. He's done the smg calibration process and all gears select ok when driving. The issue is when not driving 1st and R grind / thud in from stand still. 1st tries about 6 to 10 times before it goes in and you can hear it try. Really odd

Tonight was mad worse by the fact my battery died on me. It seems even after a run tonight and it's been on trickle charge too, it must be foooked. Had to stick a jump pack on it to move it back on the drive. Gonna get a Bosch battery tomorrow for it. This may cause some issues if the battery is screwed.

The error codes I have had twice after clearing them twice too are,

SMG DME - error 48 - gear not changeable

Occured 3 times and gave implausible battery / sporadic value

ENGINE DME - error 223 pressure intaken manifold

0100 - broken wire / value missing - error present or static error

Error 130 - EWS Signal Manipulation

Start Value empty / error present

The EWS will prob be as I am running CSL Map that Mike did for me and EWS is disabled.

The gearbox dme is also running CSL software version 255

I really need an SMG speciailist near Liverpool or somewhere close I can have the car sent to?
Pain but I’d still have a look at the pin the barrel bearing on the front of pin ,could be worn, not locking into notches , as this wouldn’t then not be in sink with proper clutch position , from memory there are about four positions sensors in clutch slave ,, Did he check the pin ??? Just a thought mate,,,,I’m assuming that smg pump and lines are fully bleed ,and pump working. and clutch parts inc slave are ok .

Last edited by Chady; 14th April 2018 at 07:45 AM.
Old 14th April 2018, 01:07 PM   #13
Stu78
Achieved official socks

Just about to do this?

Does the salmon relay need to be removed.

Got a brand new battery fitted and it's on trickle charge for when I do it too.

Is it just bonnet shut and doors shut?

1. Plug car into laptop, open INPA and turn the car ignition on but dont start it.
2. Press F9 to open special tests.
3. Double click on 'SMG Adaptation for Sequential M-Gearbox'.
4. Press F1 then F8 to bleed gearbox actuator and let it run through the test.
5. Press F2 then F8 to bleed the clutch and let it run through the test.
6. Press F3 then F8 to start a complete adaptation and let it run through the program
Old 14th April 2018, 01:35 PM   #14
cossie1
Achieved official socks

Quote:
Just about to do this?

Does the salmon relay need to be removed.

Got a brand new battery fitted and it's on trickle charge for when I do it too.

Is it just bonnet shut and doors shut?

1. Plug car into laptop, open INPA and turn the car ignition on but dont start it.
2. Press F9 to open special tests.
3. Double click on 'SMG Adaptation for Sequential M-Gearbox'.
4. Press F1 then F8 to bleed gearbox actuator and let it run through the test.
5. Press F2 then F8 to bleed the clutch and let it run through the test.
6. Press F3 then F8 to start a complete adaptation and let it run through the program
Doesn't matter if bonnet and doors are open or shut.

The rest of the sequence is correct.

Just make sure the smg fluid is on max before you start (and also worth checking it's still on max at the end too).
Old 14th April 2018, 06:24 PM   #15
Stu78
Achieved official socks

Quote:
Doesn't matter if bonnet and doors are open or shut.

The rest of the sequence is correct.

Just make sure the smg fluid is on max before you start (and also worth checking it's still on max at the end too).
Just done it and it passed the actuator and clutch bleeds

When it came to the smg full calibration it got to the very last step where it says press the brake and start the car. The car would not start until I turned ignition one click down and up again. It then said keep brake presses while the clutch slipping point is calibrated. After a few seconds it comes up with the following error.

Is this due to having to turn ignition back one click then on again to start the car? If so how can it be started without doing this.

Learning clutch slipping point -

Test program not regular finished.

Unknown info text

Break at learning clutch slipping point

I also now get error code 87 clutch adaption when I read the fault codes on the car afterwards.

I drove down the road and it was awful mega clutch slip and hunted for revs. Idle is erratic as hell and even cuts out. My reverse still cruches and It sometimes skips 1st. Got what sounds like the flywheel is going it does it in neutral and also when it skips 1st and goes in 2nd and makes a horrible noise. It’s not done that for a while but my mate said it’s flywheel.

Idle is up and down as it can’t balance the clutch and biting point.

Sadly my gps I bought for £300 and fitted never sorted my issue 100%.

Looks like new clutch and flywheel will sort it now.
Old 14th April 2018, 06:27 PM   #16
cossie1
Achieved official socks

Nope, you have an issue there.

You always have to do that to start it.
Old 14th April 2018, 06:28 PM   #17
cossie1
Achieved official socks

You can try and do the clutch slipping point with DIS, but I suspect it will fail again as that is where your issue has been all along by the sounds of it.
Old 14th April 2018, 08:26 PM   #18
Stu78
Achieved official socks

Quote:
You can try and do the clutch slipping point with DIS, but I suspect it will fail again as that is where your issue has been all along by the sounds of it.
Yep who ever buys my car this summer will have a new GPS sensor fitted plus a few springs and a new clutch and flywheel.

I could of done without all that when it's gonna be sold. lol

Now to hunt a clutch and flywheel out for a decent price.
Old 16th April 2018, 09:19 AM   #19
Turbosmed
Wearing official underwear

Car: BMW 528i & M3

What about this part quite often over looked when putting in a new clutch. Can cause all sorts of gear selection issues judder, slur etc.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-part.../013236ecs01a/

Mines going in for a new one soon. Slur on down shifts and sometimes judder pulling away. No fault codes at all.
Turbosmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2018, 10:04 AM   #20
mid lid
Wearing official robes

Car: 2003 E46 M3

Follow the procedure again, and be very very quick when you turn off the ingnition and start it, it will work

Last edited by mid lid; 16th April 2018 at 02:50 PM.
mid lid is offline   Reply With Quote