The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum

Go Back   The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum > M3 and M4 Talk > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Old 10th April 2018, 10:02 AM   #21
TouringRob
Achieved official socks

Car: M3 Touring

So, last night I removed the rear bench and fuel pump cover, ran the pump test in INPA and the pump is silent, as in doing nothing!

Amazed at the amount of crud that has collected under the cover!!!

Enabling the fuel pump relay gave volts at the input to the pump:

So with that ammo I went ahead and purchased an HRC fuel pump - I will take some pics of the install and keep this updated for future members cars with similar symptoms.
TouringRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 16th April 2018, 10:27 AM   #22
TouringRob
Achieved official socks

Right, car is all fixed and working again Big thanks to a 7DT a forum member who sold me a Radium adapter sleeve on short notice!!!

For any one this may help!

I started out by hovering as much rubbish from the area as possible, didn't want to drop anything back into the tank.

Next up, disconnect the fuel hose by squeezing the little tabs either side of the connector, I found it useful to push the connector onto the outlet first:

Take a decent sized flat drift or chunky screw driver + hammer and knock the retaining collar anti clock wise to release.

Release pump connector by pushing connector shroud away from connector, said chunky driver is perfect for this too.

With connector, fuel hose and retaining collar removed you can nor use the convenient finger pull to carefully lift the pump out of the tank, don't go too fast as you need to guide fuel hose and level out of the hole by angling the assembly.

In side of tank looks good and clean, happy days.

Reinstall the inspection hatch to avoid filling your car up with fumes
Old 16th April 2018, 10:37 AM   #23
TouringRob
Achieved official socks

With pump on the table start to remove bits!

Remove, clean and keep safe the large rubber O-ring, mine was totally virgin however it might be wise to get a new part in preparation. Be careful not to bend the float about as its a bit feeble.

Start but removing the fuel pump rubber holder things, gently pry out with a driver

Once all three are out, and you have disconnected the pump feed wires you can tilt the pump out of the main frame, leaving you to disconnect the fuel hose more easily. I just stuck a screw driver into the little ear on the OEM clamp to release.

Image below shows new HRC 255 pump with Radium adapter sleeve, HRC do supply the pump with a foam type sleeve which you kind of wedge into the holder, however I just didn't want the aggravation of the pump slipping out or something daft like that in the future. 7DT got in touch and offered me his new spare Radium adapter, the Radium adapter was out of stock with Hack so would have been a 5-10 day wait.

New HRC pump is both smaller in length and diameter than OEM, I offered both pumps up to one another trying to match inlet height to keep pump roughly in the same location as stock,

Mark sleeve height with pen/pencil:

Spend a few moments retrieving stolen tools:
Old 16th April 2018, 10:44 AM   #24
TouringRob
Achieved official socks

Now is a good time to remove the plastic pump holder from the pump,

This was a bit fiddly, but by levering open a tang at a time and pulling the pump through worked.

It was at this point that a large floor with the Radium sleeve adapter became apparent. The adapter does a good job of holding the pump within the frame height wise but has nothing to stop the pump from rotating within the frame grrr, I didn't really want the pump vibrating around and fatiguing wires and cables.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/2HPCHnTXDqwIxe3k1

OEM pump anti rotate tab (missing from Radium adapter):

A quick, but slightly dirty solution was to cut a little plastic from pump frame that the head of the jubilee clip could sit in, providing anti rotate. If you do this, be careful, the plastic is horribly brittle!

All done - onto wiring!
Old 16th April 2018, 11:00 AM   #25
TouringRob
Achieved official socks

Most places recommend crimping the terminals.

I am actually really against that as most people do not own good enough quality crimp tools to make a good job of this, me included. I usually end up soldering the wire into the crimp to be 100% sure its making a good connection. At that point you may as well just solder the new fuel pump connector into the BMW frame connector.

Its important to note that soldered joints are more prone to fatigue than crimped joints. This is because the solder wicks up the wire strands making the cable stiff. A good solution to this is to only tin the ends of the wire and to use heat shrink to strain relief the cables, you want to remove as pump pull/vibration from your soldered joint as possible to mitigate the risk of fatigue.

Insert the pump into the holder to get a good idea of required cable length, then trim your new pump wires to length.

Find soldering iron in loft!

Remember to slip heat shrink over cables BEFORE soldering

Bravely cut wires from the OEM connector as close to the base of crimp cup as possible

Re-solder new wires

At this point I took a few moments to clean up the assembly and to shrink the heatshirink.

From this point on reassembly is largely the opposite of disassembly. Make sure you use good quality fuel clips, HRC kindly supply a new fuel hose with clips, but their clips are a little poor, sadly I had no choice but to use them.

Old 16th April 2018, 11:11 AM   #26
TouringRob
Achieved official socks

With everything back together you can now install the new filter sock. Install the rubber O-ring first and lube up with a touch of silicone grease or Vaseline.

Drop pump assembly into place, guiding filer sock and level carefully though aperture

Button up and test!

I also took the opportunity to give the underside of the seats a good hover and clean, looked like some teenagers had been living under there for a while

Enjoy, hope that helps someone in my position at some point!
Old 21st April 2018, 09:05 PM   #27
TATI
A mere Chipper

Car: 2004 M3 Man. & 2004 320d m sport
Colour Combo: Carbon Black / Black & Blue & Cream

Hi

just been reading your post - i am in need of some info - which is the air con compressor relay?- as i look at my relays behind the glove box i have going from the left - GREEN , GREEN , ORANGE , GREEN. these are facing you also on the right hand side there are 2 other relays on the side. I have Looked at M3 manual but its for left hookers without headlight washers and shows 2 air compressor relays = can you help
please? Thanks
TATI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2018, 10:12 PM   #28
E46CoupeM3
Achieved official socks

Car: 2001 BMW M3
Colour Combo: Carbon Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringRob View Post
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/kicDO9vxhdKCOzWI7ZJuZQcdtfhvrCuZqWpruVcSZMEyCSb33Z 2HME7Rdotc2SUtz3q3os_lMcCjbk4S2kXFpl1WkADNj-bxgJMD2cwmLzUO-sZqMsUXdF6CrPGusE1SWHYyJkmxJuvkA5G52x3ywIRmY4yWQUm SEq7azLCh4zmxDcJFRijOJPZDnWe4hIRPNyHmdL2KjmMGXACdX KlAVpG4Y-D5dckZTUk5NXQq4q-5khtQnQjHLB1EgLGJScd_qAdtnYtgkuxcQwQrO9tB52FPOteCQ RL2R_WuTOExPZ3wFyxT9emCnzhgOHP7jdV3QBv9yTolC6UpEfw vAQOZ_pEE4iE6nbcTDE6CijK9LmIEBOaVpI6dOmGA8A2YFP1p8 PVdRWJ1EJys3OQVVeVRAqXuPs9IfvifYBXMjzpLvUJ9EXVWSsG N59fqKaWaYvvU_hIlgkon1Saq2yDWHQ1wS4PLR6fYTa29n1kjm bf9a21hAM3wp3N1LNa8xfTrxwkcBatagwD3asRgsSyM6Sgcy9S Vo0xDs8JU9iNiNIxd59_FVEdaUuK0NY1trKgSUcObrqh2jzWps j1pILUj86WgXij_jrEwub8sefyEWkk=w690-h920-no[/IMG]
Pics are not visible
E46CoupeM3 is online now   Reply With Quote