The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum

Go Back   The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum > M3 and M4 Talk > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Old 5th April 2018, 07:30 AM   #21
Rob043
Achieved official socks

Car: E46 M3
Colour Combo: Carbon Black/Imola Red

My record is still 37mpg on the day I bought it. Warm weather and 100 motorway miles with the cruise control at 70.

Usually 27+ for me. Nearer 30 in summer. The car just does runs on A roads, so a few miles of fun and a few miles of cruising gets me those numbers. No town driving or traffic.
Rob043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 5th April 2018, 10:26 AM   #22
TouringRob
Achieved official socks

Car: M3 Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex5000 View Post
Anywhere between 15 and 32 on the trip depending on how I drive.

I've done calculated 26.6mpg in the 30k I've done in the car over 5-years. Majority of that has been motorway. If I do some short trips it will drop to ~23. Obviously proper hooning brings it right down.

Sounds like you are doing well OP.
Thanks Alex,

Its slightly (very) tedious but I'm feeling so relaxed which is weird.
TouringRob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2018, 10:27 AM   #23
TouringRob
Achieved official socks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob043 View Post
My record is still 37mpg on the day I bought it. Warm weather and 100 motorway miles with the cruise control at 70.

Usually 27+ for me. Nearer 30 in summer. The car just does runs on A roads, so a few miles of fun and a few miles of cruising gets me those numbers. No town driving or traffic.
Thats seriously impressive!

Initially I was a little disappointed when I picked the car up, my 328i would do just over 40mpg on a long run and I really struggle to see 34 in this one.

Has anyone calculated their MPG rather than trusting the trip computer? I seem to remember on the E36 you could calibrate the trip computer some how, wondered if there is similar in the 46?

Rob,
Old 5th April 2018, 10:31 AM   #24
TouringRob
Achieved official socks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123dan View Post
Haha Thanks, when I was commuting big miles a few years back I learnt a lot about eco driving and most of those techniques just filter into habit after a while! Doesn't stop me driving the car properly when I feel like it though!
I can see how being economical when doing big miles makes a massive difference. So far this week I've saved nearly 9 just by relaxing a bit which is weirdly satisfying, If I was driving 100 miles a day it would be closer to 30 saving in three days - I've never met anyone who would turn down a free 30!

Not really doing it for the money, more that I feel my car may be on the brink of death if I keep hammering it without fixing some stuff first!
Old 5th April 2018, 11:14 AM   #25
Caveman
Achieved official socks

Car: 2002 M3 Convertible, 1995 993 C4 & 2010 530D
Colour Combo: Carbon Black/ Black / Black

Rob - I've just realised that you have a converted Touring E46. That is really cool. Do you have any pictures and how much is carried over?

How much of your impressive fuel economy is down to your improved aerodynamics?!
Caveman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2018, 11:52 AM   #26
MWagon
Achieved official socks

Car: 2002 BMW M Touring
Colour Combo: Silver/Black

31.9 MPG is the best I managed. 180 mile journey over Easter weekend, cruising on the motorway with a very occasional rip through the revs so I dont get bored, go insane or make my car hate me!!
MWagon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2018, 11:57 AM   #27
Alex5000
Wearing official robes

Car: 2005 BMW M3
Colour Combo: Carbon Black / Kiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringRob View Post
Has anyone calculated their MPG rather than trusting the trip computer? I seem to remember on the E36 you could calibrate the trip computer some how, wondered if there is similar in the 46?

Rob,
I've done just this to get the 26.6mpg I mentioned.

Plugged the info off the receipts into a spreadsheet. The trip reads about 1.8mpg higher than I actually achieve.
Alex5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2018, 12:19 PM   #28
M3Chas
Achieved official socks

Car: 2003 BMW M3
Colour Combo: Mystic Blue/Grey

Quote:

Rob,
Yes, I have.

The OBC about 5-7% optimistic whenever I have checked.
M3Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2018, 12:30 PM   #29
TouringRob
Achieved official socks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveman View Post
Rob - I've just realised that you have a converted Touring E46. That is really cool. Do you have any pictures and how much is carried over?

How much of your impressive fuel economy is down to your improved aerodynamics?!
Thanks, not sure if these pictures will work - haven't added pictures to forums since the photobucket debacle.

Unfortunately I bought it converted, I was looking for a proper M3 when this came up and I've always had tourings historically and wanted to build one with an M3 lump but the figures just never made is sensible.

This has everything from the M3, suspension, subframes, brakes, engine, SMG box etc. Driving it you wouldn't know the difference (after back to back driving with a mates coupe). Really happy with it, very practical.

Can't comment on aerodynamics though... I suspect any advantage (if there is one?) is offset by the extra weight. Think it sits between a coupe and a cap on the scales.

Sadly it needs lots of love at the moment, other than general servicing I've been very lazy so far regards to maintenance

PS - fuel economy isn't always that good haha, I changed lower arms a couple of weeks ago and haven't had the tracking done yet making it pretty horrible to drive at any speed, also have an incredibly warped front disk which is fine for a few stops and then goes horribly out of shape with temperature.

***Pics are from my google account, do they work? they wouldn't show using the normal image link button

Last edited by TouringRob; 5th April 2018 at 12:43 PM.
Old 5th April 2018, 12:33 PM   #30
TouringRob
Achieved official socks

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Chas View Post
Yes, I have.

The OBC about 5-7% optimistic whenever I have checked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex5000 View Post
I've done just this to get the 26.6mpg I mentioned.

Plugged the info off the receipts into a spreadsheet. The trip reads about 1.8mpg higher than I actually achieve.
Hmmm, thats sad. I will check after a fill up!
Old 5th April 2018, 12:37 PM   #31
TouringRob
Achieved official socks

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWagon View Post
31.9 MPG is the best I managed. 180 mile journey over Easter weekend, cruising on the motorway with a very occasional rip through the revs so I dont get bored, go insane or make my car hate me!!
I was thinking about this sat on motorway this morning, there really is no point in owning one unless you have fun with it! Which means I will be forced to ruin my average at some point
Old 5th April 2018, 01:13 PM   #32
MWagon
Achieved official socks

Quote:
I was thinking about this sat on motorway this morning, there really is no point in owning one unless you have fun with it! Which means I will be forced to ruin my average at some point
Your car looks sweet, love the rear setup its a good compromise and still pretty stealth.

Yes, I have to agree! Whats the point in having an S54 under the bonnet if you drive it like a 320d.
My weakness is tunnels, bridges and walls close to the road..... Windows go down, drop 2 gears and let rip. My exhaust is loud at WOT and I dont have the M3 rear silencer box as I still run the OEM boot floor. I have been messing with the exhaust since I got it on the road and I'm almost happy with it now, almost! Apart from a drone between 1900rpm and 2500rpm its all good and really quiet on a motorway cruise.
Old 5th April 2018, 01:17 PM   #33
MWagon
Achieved official socks

Old 5th April 2018, 01:25 PM   #34
E46CoupeM3
Achieved official socks

Car: 2001 BMW M3
Colour Combo: Carbon Black

^ You drive economically when there's no space to use the S54 so if you like the petrol is saved to burn at more smiles per gallon later
E46CoupeM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2018, 01:37 PM   #35
MWagon
Achieved official socks

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46CoupeM3 View Post
^ You drive economically when there's no space to use the S54 so if you like the petrol is saved to burn at more smiles per gallon later
Yes! Totally that!
Way more about smiles per gallon for me.
Old 5th April 2018, 01:56 PM   #36
TouringRob
Achieved official socks

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWagon View Post
Your car looks sweet, love the rear setup its a good compromise and still pretty stealth.

Yes, I have to agree! Whats the point in having an S54 under the bonnet if you drive it like a 320d.
My weakness is tunnels, bridges and walls close to the road..... Windows go down, drop 2 gears and let rip. My exhaust is loud at WOT and I dont have the M3 rear silencer box as I still run the OEM boot floor. I have been messing with the exhaust since I got it on the road and I'm almost happy with it now, almost! Apart from a drone between 1900rpm and 2500rpm its all good and really quiet on a motorway cruise.
Cheers dude, I would like to find a sport rear bumper with a CSL copy type diffuser at some point. Its quite interesting... the only people who notice the car are other M3 owners, in general is slips under the radar pretty well. Also on the change list are the fake M3 mirrors which I really don't like - would much prefer standard 46 or real M3.

What exhaust setup are you using? E36 M3 back box?
Old 5th April 2018, 01:57 PM   #37
TouringRob
Achieved official socks

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46CoupeM3 View Post
Haha, yes thats a good way to rationalise it.
Old 5th April 2018, 02:48 PM   #38
Natand
On the path

Car: 2004 BMW M3, SL55 AMG
Colour Combo: Red / Carbon Black

I've not had her long, but aroud 21mpg appears to be the norm, which compared to my SL55 is amazing
Natand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2018, 02:59 PM   #39
dublin98
Achieved official socks

Car: 2003 BMW M3
Colour Combo: Carbon black / black nappa

Mine is pretty much stuck around 23mpg, don't often reset the menu.

However last week on a run up the A9 to Aviemore, after resetting, I saw 37.2mpg displayed.

That was through average speed cameras and long single carriageway stretches probably doing around 55mph behind lorries and caravans.

Yes it was boring, but the scenery is superb and I was curious to see what could be attained with a light right foot.
dublin98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2018, 03:43 PM   #40
MWagon
Achieved official socks

Quote:
Cheers dude, I would like to find a sport rear bumper with a CSL copy type diffuser at some point. Its quite interesting... the only people who notice the car are other M3 owners, in general is slips under the radar pretty well. Also on the change list are the fake M3 mirrors which I really don't like - would much prefer standard 46 or real M3.

What exhaust setup are you using? E36 M3 back box?
Its custom made from the manifolds back, all 304 stainless steel and made by me.
I'm running my own section 1 with 100 cell race cats (or silenced decats sometimes), custom made 'Y' pipe into 3" single section 2 which includes a silencer and then into a modified rear silencer with some anti wave tech built into it to help kill the drone, it improved the sound immensely but just left with a little at low RPM's.
It sounds brutal with the throttle pinned and has (IMO) just the right mix of bass and rasp right through the rev range.