The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum

Go Back   The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum > M3 and M4 Talk > E90 Saloon / E92 Coupe / E93 Convertible M3 (2008-2013) > E90 / E92 / E93 FAQ

Old 10th August 2016, 06:09 PM   #1
m3man
Wearing official underwear

Car: 2008 M3 Convertible
Colour Combo: Carbon Black/Black
Default E93 Glove Box

Hi Guys, I have a 2008 (58) M3 Convertible and tried to open the glove box today and it appeared 'locked'. I tried it manually with the key and with a bit or force the handle snapped. The handle is still in place (its now flappy) but cannot get into the glove box. Any ideas on how I can get in and fix it are greatly appreciated!
m3man is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11th August 2016, 03:17 AM   #2
Ziman

Car: M4CP
Colour Combo: MG with SO

Hi Mate, mine is also locked shut and cant get into it..... I have tried everything, I backed off from using too much force so the handle is still in tact.

I'm hopping dealers can sort it under warranty.... i will let you know if they have any tips on getting it opened.
Ziman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2016, 11:20 AM   #3
m3man

Car: 2008 M3 Convertible
Colour Combo: Carbon Black/Black

Ok, so I had to break it to get it open. I can now see how the mechanism works, however it doesnt explain why it did it.... BMW want 35 for a new handle plus costs to change the barrel over..... :-(
m3man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2017, 06:12 AM   #4
Flapps
Achieved official socks

Car: 2008 E93 M3
Colour Combo: SilverstoneII/extended fox red, all the whistles and bells as well.

My glove box also played up in exactly the same way a couple of years ago. Spent an age fettling with the handle with the key in the lock and after a while got the thing open. Couldn't work out if it was something to do with the central locking system as well as sticky luggs either side of the lock which open and close when you pull the handle.

Covered the whole glove box lock with good old fashioned WD40 and not, touch wood, had any problems since but just add a spray of WD40 every once in a while as a precautionary measure now. They are temperamental buggers though. Had the glove box door off and almost the complete guts of the glove box out but couldn't find out why the locking mechanism played up

Flapps
Flapps is offline   Reply With Quote