The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum

Go Back   The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum > M3cutters Garage > Member Rides

Old 24th May 2018, 01:37 PM   #21
g10far
Wearing official robes

Car: SG E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBiker View Post
Thanks

Yes correct, Matt has owned so many M cars I'm starting to loose count, he's back in an M3 again now, F80 this time!

The only thing your car needs is that stack trumpet set removed and a CSL airbox installed, Thoses things suffer so badly with heat soak! Other than that a really smart example, Matt should have kept it tucked away for a few years as that spec has certainly seen an increase in value lately!

Have you had much use out of it or done much to it since purchasing?
Yeah the plan is to fit a Karbonius box at some point. I've gone the opposite way to you, all the CSL rep parts have been replaced with standard. Also fitted a CAE shifter and Apex wheels. Apart from that just been doing maintenance, oh I had to remove the stiff mounts, made it horrible to drive. I use it mostly for trackdays, I met the previous owner to Matt at Goodwood last year, credit to the previous owners as it's a tidy car, maybe too nice to track.

Got much more planned for yours?
g10far is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 24th May 2018, 02:48 PM   #22
TheBiker
On the path

Car: M3, 320D, RS Clio, 748SP, GSXR K6, RS250

Quote:
Originally Posted by g10far View Post
Yeah the plan is to fit a Karbonius box at some point. I've gone the opposite way to you, all the CSL rep parts have been replaced with standard. Also fitted a CAE shifter and Apex wheels. Apart from that just been doing maintenance, oh I had to remove the stiff mounts, made it horrible to drive. I use it mostly for trackdays, I met the previous owner to Matt at Goodwood last year, credit to the previous owners as it's a tidy car, maybe too nice to track.

Got much more planned for yours?
I met the owner previous to Matt (actually a friend of his hence why he bought the car) and it was certainly his pride and joy! The other thing I remembered was the boot lid wasn't a great copy on Matt's fit or finish, have you removed the boot lid too?

I can see the appeal with the standard car/ 18's everything fits & works perfectly but I can't help but feel it just looks so similar to a normal 3 series.. I can still appreciate a completely stock car and I have all the oem parts in the loft as I have no plans to sell it but in 10-15 years time an original e46 M3 is likely to be worth a small fortune in original condition.

Not a major amount left now, fit the Recaro CS's, paint the dash trims silver grey (leaking mirror pushed that decision forward) then remove the GSR airbox and fit the Streamline Autosport CSL airbox, love the boot lid and following there face book page the new airbox looks to be one stunning piece of art

https://www.strautosport.com/

Finally I would love to fit a set of Ohlins or Nitron suspension but I think for the mileage I cover I'm struggling to justify the cost so potentially KW's but who knows, really excited to get stuck into the 172 Cup!
TheBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2018, 09:49 AM   #23
g10far
Wearing official robes

Car: SG E46 M3

Quote:
I met the owner previous to Matt (actually a friend of his hence why he bought the car) and it was certainly his pride and joy! The other thing I remembered was the boot lid wasn't a great copy on Matt's fit or finish, have you removed the boot lid too?

I can see the appeal with the standard car/ 18's everything fits & works perfectly but I can't help but feel it just looks so similar to a normal 3 series.. I can still appreciate a completely stock car and I have all the oem parts in the loft as I have no plans to sell it but in 10-15 years time an original e46 M3 is likely to be worth a small fortune in original condition.

Not a major amount left now, fit the Recaro CS's, paint the dash trims silver grey (leaking mirror pushed that decision forward) then remove the GSR airbox and fit the Streamline Autosport CSL airbox, love the boot lid and following there face book page the new airbox looks to be one stunning piece of art

https://www.strautosport.com/

Finally I would love to fit a set of Ohlins or Nitron suspension but I think for the mileage I cover I'm struggling to justify the cost so potentially KW's but who knows, really excited to get stuck into the 172 Cup!
Yeah the bootlid and front bumper have been replaced with standard items, I also want a standard diffuser. I do think they look better on 19's however the Apex don't look too small with how they're designed.

The streamline box looks promising, will have to look into that although the Karbonius is also a work of art.

Sounds like you're there with yours, KW's are a good choice of damper, good enough for fast road and trackdays if you decide to do trackdays that is.

172's are great little cars, got a 197 myself, such great cars for the money.
g10far is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2018, 05:25 PM   #24
TheBiker
On the path

Yep it's almost finished but as always with project cars some must have item appears on the radar lol!

KW's look like they will be the best option for the money then finish powerflexing bits like the front wishbone bushes and have the car correctly set up/ corner weighted etc to get it 100%

The reduced final drive in the diff is something I'm keen to do especially as I have discovered today that you can re-code the SMG to work perfectly with it (not that I drive in auto but I just like things working properly) as I can't see me really ever needing more than 150mph even on track, the close ratio feeling gears with the SMG would be really nice.

Getting more excited about starting work on the 172 Cup, they are just so much fun/ raw I actually miss driving it..
Old 25th May 2018, 07:12 PM   #25
m3driven
Wearing official underwear

Car: 2003 BMW M3

Lovely project.
m3driven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2018, 08:13 AM   #26
TheBiker
On the path

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3driven View Post
Lovely project.
Thank you
Old 26th May 2018, 08:39 AM   #27
AWilson9
Wearing official underwear

Car: E46 M3

Amazing work, what a lovely car!
AWilson9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2018, 08:44 AM   #28
ksa74f
Achieved official socks

Car: 2006 M3
Colour Combo: Carbon black / Black

Quote:
Yep it's almost finished but as always with project cars some must have item appears on the radar lol!

KW's look like they will be the best option for the money then finish powerflexing bits like the front wishbone bushes and have the car correctly set up/ corner weighted etc to get it 100%

The reduced final drive in the diff is something I'm keen to do especially as I have discovered today that you can re-code the SMG to work perfectly with it (not that I drive in auto but I just like things working properly) as I can't see me really ever needing more than 150mph even on track, the close ratio feeling gears with the SMG would be really nice.

Getting more excited about starting work on the 172 Cup, they are just so much fun/ raw I actually miss driving it..

Just done the 4.10 gear set in mine and it's absolutely awesome.
ksa74f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2018, 10:31 AM   #29
TheBiker
On the path

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWilson9 View Post
Amazing work, what a lovely car!
Thank you
Old 26th May 2018, 10:34 AM   #30
TheBiker
On the path

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksa74f View Post
Just done the 4.10 gear set in mine and it's absolutely awesome.

Glad to hear, only hearing good things from the 4.1 change! What did it cost you all in Kev to have it done? The other option is to wait for a used one to pop up over the year and at least that way in should simply be a case of swapping over & topping up with oil but with the car being off the road for 5 months of the year it's not the end of the world
Old 26th May 2018, 10:50 AM   #31
ksa74f
Achieved official socks

All in mine cost roughly 1200 , we built my gear set into a spare diff making it a bit easier of a job. Can honestly say bang for **** it can't be beaten , ps keep up the good work.
Old 26th May 2018, 11:51 AM   #32
TheBiker
On the path

Quote:
All in mine cost roughly 1200 , we built my gear set into a spare diff making it a bit easier of a job. Can honestly say bang for **** it can't be beaten , ps keep up the good work.
These cars just eat money for modifications lol! Certainly on the top end of the list, let's see if the old girl behaves herself in the French/ Swiss Alps later this year and then in the winter it can come apart again for more upgrades
Old 30th May 2018, 08:51 PM   #33
steve01
On the path

Car: M3 GT

Looks lovely mate, great project
steve01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2018, 10:35 PM   #34
TheBiker
On the path

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve01 View Post
Looks lovely mate, great project
Thanks, seats should be in this weekend
Old 7th June 2018, 07:09 PM   #35
TheBiker
On the path

Recaro Sportster CS seat fitting

So e46 M3 was treated to some seats before I went away on holiday so I spent a week unwinding by the pool dreaming of the installation of them when I got home!

So I bought the seats used, From what I can see they are the standard black leather seats found in the Lotus Evora V6, with them being black leather they would tie in with the OEM look which is my main concern, it has to look at home otherwise my OCD would have the standard's back in regardless of the driving position/support improvement.

So the kit had been home made by the previous owner and the OMP base plates had been previously used for buckets so there were some pretty nasty elongated holes and some random nuts and bolts filling other random holes

The previous owner had also advised that with the adaption it would only run 3 bolts, the runner was covering the most important hole, the seat belt pre-tensioner base plate mounting hole

First things first was having all the holes welded then paint it up, I knew they would be in and out a few times so there could be some scratches so at a later date they will be correctly prepared powder coated (even though you only see around 40mm of plate)

Marked up for my fabricator, the X marked spots needed welding up to either be completely filled and 2 required completely re-drilling as they were off centre for the runner

The old bolts were to long & you can see where the off drilled holes had messed the threads up.. New correct length high tensile bolts purchased.

Occupancy sensor blank also ordered, for those who are not sure what this does I will cover it in the full instal video, should be up this weekend

The base plates were back, the chap I worked with said he would go over them again but at this stage I wanted to get them drilled/ fitted to trial it all out then in the winter hibernation they can come out to be made 100% perfect.

Trust Halfords primer, gloss black & clear coat applied to protective and make them look as factory fresh as possible

Much better!

So the following day Matt popped round to help with the instal, had to make sure we were fuelled up for the task ahead (I expected them to be in/out a few times and the extra hands certainly helps, especially removing the originals as they way a ton) Dirty sausage & bacon door stop sandwich

The factory originals (not a bad seat really)

Really impressed with how the plugs came apart, certainly better than the bloody Renaults I'm used to!

Driver side in!

Simply lovely!

Quick wash ready for Walton on the bridge car meet the following morning

The seats are amazing, so much more hold/support.. BUT! they were to low, in all my years of driving I've found seats to be to high being 6"2 so this was new to me lol and I probably could have got used to it but it felt as if the steering wheel was just to high on its lowest setting and my eye sight was inline with the speedo.

So after sitting in the seat hovering my head up and down and floating my arms about I needed 10-15mm height increase, went with 12mm home made aluminium spacers, more than suitable for the job but I will instal some correctly turned ones when they come out in the winter for base plate powder coating, or I should say find some one with correct machine tools to make me some!

Spacers all fitted and its 100% perfect for my driving position, so pleased I went to the effort of getting it spot. finally a quick go over with the leather cleaner followed by a dusk evening drive

Comments welcome

Last edited by TheBiker; 11th June 2018 at 07:51 PM.
Old 7th June 2018, 07:24 PM   #36
ksa74f
Achieved official socks

Just gets better and better mate , look forward to the video .
If you hadn't went on holiday you could have had the 4.10 diff lol.
Old 7th June 2018, 07:36 PM   #37
TheBiker
On the path

Quote:
Just gets better and better mate , look forward to the video .
If you hadn't went on holiday you could have had the 4.10 diff lol.
Thanks Kev, don't lol! the misses turned to me and said what an earth are you watching now (pool side with Benchmarks video of the 4.1 diff) I replied with sorry babe I thought project M3 would be done this year........ another must do upgrade has come up

The problem is I need to be putting funds away for a new daily driver as the 320d is coming to an end of its life so I think this is going to be next year but now all I keep thinking about is how tall the gearing is! I would love a ride in a 4.4 as well as I do next to no motorway driving in mine but worry first gear will be a waste of time
Old 11th June 2018, 07:28 PM   #38
TheBiker
On the path

Saturday blast

So this weekend my good friend let me take his F80 M3 for a blast around Bracknell, really enjoyed it even though I still preferred my e46 as a weekend toy I can understand why so many have made the move over to the latest generation, looks awesome on the road.. Any way as always these days a blog was created on my thoughts on the e46 vs F80 M3 -Hope you enjoy

https://youtu.be/avlvFONJ4u0

I also created a video on what I discovered on the road to building mine, handling upgrades more than anything, anotherrrrrr blog

https://youtu.be/sdeM8_qTrlo

And finally the seats!

https://youtu.be/Sav8V6_fFLo

Hope you all enjoy & as always thoughts & comments welcome

Last edited by TheBiker; 11th June 2018 at 07:32 PM.
Old 11th June 2018, 09:39 PM   #39
JK530D
Wearing official robes

Car: E46M3,F10 530d Mspt,F15 X5 Mspt
Colour Combo: M3 Silver Grey, Black leather

Love the Recaros and great job with the car and the videos. Thanks ! Do the Recaros tilt forward for rear access or are they fixed? I'd probably need spacers as I'm nowhere 6'2" but I still find the std seats too high compared to the likes of any of my 5 series'
JK530D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2018, 05:59 AM   #40
TheBiker
On the path

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK530D View Post
Love the Recaros and great job with the car and the videos. Thanks ! Do the Recaros tilt forward for rear access or are they fixed? I'd probably need spacers as I'm nowhere 6'2" but I still find the std seats too high compared to the likes of any of my 5 series'
Yep all tilt forward as standard so you can still get people in the back seats

The seat position for me now is perfect, I know there are people that really like sitting practically on the floor, seat tilted all the back etc but as I do enjoy a good spirited drive so it's all about the function for me..

I did toy with the idea of full buckets but in the end I told myself I know I would continue to just strip the rest of the car and before you know i have another track car