The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum

Go Back   The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum > M3cutters Garage > Member Rides

Old 11th April 2018, 04:13 PM   #81
m3driven
Wearing official underwear

Car: 2003 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo25 View Post
No worries, if you've any questions fire us a PM and I'll help if I can. One of those jobs that with space and time, and the right tools, isn't hard really.
Thank you that is appreciated.
m3driven is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11th April 2018, 08:28 PM   #82
Jimbo25
Achieved official socks

Car: E46
Colour Combo: Laguna Seca Blue / Black

And I saved the best bit for last:

Freshly painted diff carrier - I always wished I'd done this when we did the subframe bushes:

Really nice touch which I wasn't expecting.

And the reinforced boot floor:

Coming back together:

I'm glad I've got some pics of it because I'm quite glad I spent easter inside the car not under it for a change
Jimbo25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2018, 12:59 PM   #83
Jimbo25
Achieved official socks

Went on a drive last Sunday so popped to my local car cleaning place Saturday night to give it a wash, I knew that it was popular with car enthusiasts but I wasn't expecting 3 other E46 M3s there! (they're pretty rare over here tbh)

Untitled by James Waller, on Flickr

Good drive out on Sunday, some of us missed the "lightweight sports car" memo Car went well, highlighted what I'd suspected for some time with the brakes though, I read something last week about BBKs when not used properly tend to build up pad material on the disc, and only clean up when used properly. When warmed up a bit after a few good corners they were great, but around town they tend to judder a bit, glad they came good, and just shows I need to drive it a bit quicker in future
Old 18th April 2018, 06:45 PM   #84
Dali
Achieved official socks

Car: nothing

Lovely LSB!

Intrigued to find out more about that car cleaning place... looks perfect, is it a franchise?

I know supermarkets have those bays but your local seems way better!
Dali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2018, 07:29 PM   #85
Jimbo25
Achieved official socks

Hi Dali, itís an independent place however itís a little bit far for you to travel, Iíve moved to Southern Germany for work you see

Itís a great place, would love somewhere like this in the UK. Downside is unless you have proper collection and water treatment, you canít wash your car at home. It does mean that their auto car washes are pretty good, not that the M3 sees them.
Old 2nd May 2018, 09:02 PM   #86
Jimbo25
Achieved official socks

So I found an interesting issue with LHD and RHD cars, my last Bosch aerotwin wipers had a central aero spoiler to give downforce - went to the local parts place up the road and bought some E46 specific wipers and found that they've changed the design, and now they look like this, when I got them home:

Now on an LHD car (obvs 99.99% of E46s in Germany are ) the spoiler sits at the back and gives you a good downward force onto the screen. Problem is they'd be backwards on mine

Anyway after some thinking and a bit of careful disassembly, I managed to reverse the spoiler and endcaps, so they Fit almost entirely as intended - only had to do a bit of trimming of the spoiler section.

So as Traffic is lighter on a Friday and I'd taken the car into work I took this as I was filling up - shines up alright

Old 2nd May 2018, 09:14 PM   #87
Jimbo25
Achieved official socks

It's holiday season here in Germany, and we had our first long weekend with public holidays (Sat to Tues) - Hard life but one must respect local customs.

Late on Saturday we decided to drive down to Italy, specifically Lake Garda. Sunday morning I met up with the drivers club at a car show in Munich - some of the BMWs in attendance (I'm determined to get in next time, always end up in the car park )

Ran into Dan who I'd met recently in his lovely RHD Estoril M3, just as we were leaving. I too had thought about registering mine in Germany but a) I don't want to lose the M3 plate with the DVLA and b) I'd have to change my front brakes as they're not TŁV friendly, only found out after I'd fitted them though

So anyway, 5 hours or so later we were through Austria, over the Brenner pass and into Northern Italy, the scenery is fantastic, especially this time of year with snow still on the tops of the mountains.

by James Waller, on Flickr

Old 2nd May 2018, 09:32 PM   #88
Jimbo25
Achieved official socks

And then a couple of days at the lake, in the company of thousands of bikers and Porsches, Mercedes GTs, all manner of nice metal was out for the holidays.

Lake looking good;

Quite enough of that.

Honestly the drive there and back was about it, but cruising about the lake was nice - there are plenty of tunnels as well for enjoying exhausts with. Got lots of thumbs up and some bikers even complemented me on the numberplate

Weird carpark, right outside the townhall so felt like the mayor

And then again on the way back. It's mostly autobahn/Autostrada once you're in Italy, so pretty dull but the scenery makes up for it - and we took the Forest road from Innsbruck back into Germany which was very quiet, so lots of fun. On the A95 back into Munich (First bit of legally derestricted Autobahn) I managed 170mph on the clocks before the weather got a bit ropy, and I got a poke from the Mrs. I tried to see what it was on GPS but you tend to have one thing on your mind at that speed. I've no doubt at all that it was over 155mph though which I've wondered for a while. Car felt really planted, much better than the last time I tried it and chickened out at 160 indicated Weirdest thing was coming back down to 110-120 felt really slow, have heard that before but never experienced it - really odd sensation.

Last edited by Jimbo25; 4th August 2018 at 11:22 PM.
Old 10th July 2018, 10:44 PM   #89
SAW
Achieved official socks

Car: 2003(53) E46 M3
Colour Combo: Titanium Silver / Laguna Seca Blue

Cars looking great Jim! Some excellent work.
SAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2018, 09:56 PM   #90
Jimbo25
Achieved official socks

Cheers mate, hope you're keeping well.

Unfortunately I got back from work one day and someone has reversed into the rear wheelarch on the drivers side no note, nothing.

Insurance have been really good, even though I'm in Germany they've been quite helpful and seem to have properly valued the car, which was re-assuring (I originally rang late at night to report it and the guy thought it was a 2002 E46 non M3 so it would be a right off straight away, I wasn't a happy bunny)

Going to get quotes tomorrow from some local places - see where we go, I'd noticed some front arch rust too so will probably supplement the insurance and get some more work done at the same time. Haven't driven it much since the prang but itching to get out again.

few pics

****ing dent by James Waller, on Flickr

****ing dent by James Waller, on Flickr

I'd been thinking about either a set of RS2s for it or a supersprint race (non LW) - or probably both but that'll be on hold a while now.

Plus side, before all this I put the latest Malaysk Rom on my Erisin headunit which is Android 8.0 and way better than it was before, and some sponge rammed in the parcel shelf has stopped it rattling and I've been able to turn the bass up and tune the amp a bit better, sounds good.
Old 18th July 2018, 11:59 AM   #91
Jimbo25
Achieved official socks

Good news today - insurance have signed off on the repair no recorded damage on the car either, I have to say HIC have been quite good, no arguments about what the car is worth, they even mentioned the rarer colour in their advertisement.

Hopefully I can get the car in this week with the repairers, so they can be working on it whilst we're on Holiday next week.

In the spirit of man maths, as I'm not paying for the repair, I've found a supersprint sport backbox here in Germany that I might treat the car to when we both get back Now that the car isn't a daily, I want a bit more volume without any droning, so an 80mm race (non LW) could be just the ticket.

Also must get that A/C refrigerant refilled...
Old 31st July 2018, 03:46 PM   #92
Jimbo25
Achieved official socks

So I managed to get the car in just in time to the bodyshop and right on time when we got back it was ready to collect. I also had them replace the front wings as they were both crusty, and it had some corrosion on the thin metal section between the wing and the sill.

So with the insurance covering the rear 3/4 repair and asking them to do the work at the front, I imagine almost all the right hand side of the car has been painted, and the front wing blended into the LHD Door. I was a little worried about paint match, but seem to have chosen the right company, as I can't tell where new paint begins to be honest

They used all BMW parts, so the work I paid for wasn't cheap but glad with the level of work done, and it was easier to have it done at the same time so overall I'm happy. They tell me they made no cuts to the rear arch which just astounds me and goes to show the standard of their work imo.

Few pics as it was waiting for me to collect

Annoyingly, I cleaned out the wax applicators from the Autoglym HD wax kit and seem to have misplaced them, so the paint is waiting for a layer of protection. I can't decide if I'll add only the HD wax, or start with a layer of Ultra Gloss Protection (in reality, 2 layers) and then a coat of wax. If I can't find any wax applicators here tonight I'll put on some UGP to tide it over at the least.

Strangely, I found that the heater fan wasn't working after the paint work and found a fuse had been put back in the wrong place - got it working - no idea why it wasn't there. However driving back in 36.5deg heat with no A/C or even fans was bloody warm

Missed out on a cheap SS sport exhaust due to being on Holiday so the exhaust plans might be on hold now for some time.

Finally I had some time last night, so finally tidied my glovebox away to properly mount the USB hub for the head unit in the glovebox with velcro, and hide away the USB DAB amplifier away under the passenger sill carpet to the hidden rear screen aerial, so inside (apart from the head unit) it all looks OEM, but with DAB+, Reversing camera and USB connectivity, very pleased with the system now.
Old 31st July 2018, 05:32 PM   #93
Jphud
Wearing official robes

Car: 2002 m3 coupe

Paintwork looks brilliant. Great job!!
Jphud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2018, 08:36 PM   #94
Jimbo25
Achieved official socks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jphud View Post
Paintwork looks brilliant. Great job!!

Managed to get a layer of wax on the sides tonight, amazed how dirty the car gets stood outside in just a day need to see if I can clear the garage out enough to get the car in.
Old 1st August 2018, 12:54 PM   #95
wolfguy
On the path

Car: 2000 Z3, 2002 M3, 2006 Z4M
Colour Combo: Estoril Blue / Grey Nappa / Imola Red / Nappa

Which Paintshop did you go for in the end?
wolfguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2018, 01:18 PM   #96
Jimbo25
Achieved official socks

Blomberger, on SchlieŖheimerstrasse, they were first on the list because they were really close to work, I was pretty impressed with the cars they had in for work and Ins. co authorised straight away - happy days.

Pricey but they do good work.
Old 1st August 2018, 03:56 PM   #97
wolfguy
On the path

Car: 2000 Z3, 2002 M3, 2006 Z4M
Colour Combo: Estoril Blue / Grey Nappa / Imola Red / Nappa

Cool. I have 2 new side skirts and the front bumper to do on the Z4M.. must get a quote off of them!

Can't stand this not working on Saturday B.S however
wolfguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2018, 06:41 PM   #98
Jimbo25
Achieved official socks

Yeah I could get up before they shut on Friday thankfully.

I havenít seen the Z4, you be up for a drive sometime soon? Need to go for a beer too!
Old 1st August 2018, 10:10 PM   #99
grchmason
Achieved official socks

Car: Phoenix Yellow E46 M3 Coupe
Colour Combo: Phoenix Yellow / Kiwi

Stunning pics Jim!

Car is looking super as always!

grchmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2018, 07:55 AM   #100
Jimbo25
Achieved official socks

Quote:
Originally Posted by grchmason View Post
Stunning pics Jim!

Car is looking super as always!

Cheers man

Took the front lower grill out and the foglight surrounds this week, I think the grill has been resprayed in the past with Primer and stonechips are showing the primer through now. Intend on spraying them all matt black and re-installing. Can see in the picture below the sandy sort of colour on the lower grill.

IMG_0949 by James Waller, on Flickr

Last edited by Jimbo25; 2nd August 2018 at 08:04 AM.