The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum

Go Back   The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum > M3 and M4 Talk > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Old 23rd June 2018, 07:42 AM   #121
schooner32
Achieved official socks

Car: 2004 M3
Colour Combo: silver grey/ black

Quote:
Originally Posted by superclark View Post
Its important to check Vanos position specially if your changing position of the gear to find first position, how do you check vanos max clearance on the vanos without it??

Its very much not just an S50 tool....
It's a timing check tool , it doesn't have any association with the vanos. I don't understand the vanos clearance sentence? TIS does not mention vanos clearance. Could you explain?

The check tool just has a little more leeway and not as rigid as the timing tool. Just allows for the tolerance of .5mm ( or whatever it is) lift of the timing tool on the head.

The s54 timing tool has a stepped base while the s50 has a flat base like your pic. Maybe they both work equally but different part numbers and different applications to two different engines.

Interested in this vanos clearance. Can you explain that a little more?
schooner32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 23rd June 2018, 09:55 AM   #122
superclark
Achieved official socks

Car: 1995 E36 M3 3.0ltr S50B30euro (proper one)
Colour Combo: Avus / Black interior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schooner32 View Post
It's a timing check tool , it doesn't have any association with the vanos. I don't understand the vanos clearance sentence? TIS does not mention vanos clearance. Could you explain?

The check tool just has a little more leeway and not as rigid as the timing tool. Just allows for the tolerance of .5mm ( or whatever it is) lift of the timing tool on the head.

The s54 timing tool has a stepped base while the s50 has a flat base like your pic. Maybe they both work equally but different part numbers and different applications to two different engines.

Interested in this vanos clearance. Can you explain that a little more?
superclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2018, 10:45 AM   #123
schooner32
Achieved official socks

Car: 2004 M3
Colour Combo: silver grey/ black

Quote:
I can only assume your referring to how much the splined shaft protrudes from the hub? If you install the vanos with the shafts already assembled onto the vanos unit ( like TIS advises) then you will always get this step correct. Is this what you are talking about?
schooner32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2018, 11:30 AM   #124
Tris
Achieved official socks

Car: E46 M3 and an e36 M3 Evo track car

I'm with you Schooner. I put mine together as TIS explained and never had any issues.

I did use the s50 timing bridge though which tbh worked just fine.
Tris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2018, 01:40 PM   #125
AWilson9
Wearing official underwear

Car: E46 M3

Quote:
Could you explain? I'm looking to do this soon and have read the bmw tis quite a few times. Just want to know if there's anything else I should know before I pull my car to bits and ruin it forever
AWilson9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2018, 02:54 PM   #126
E46CoupeM3
Achieved official socks

Car: 2001 BMW M3
Colour Combo: Carbon Black

As long as you drink lattes made with unicorn milk you'll be fine
E46CoupeM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2018, 08:15 AM   #127
Chady
Rocking a new hat

Car: csl
Colour Combo: Sg

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMed View Post
So, the replacement engine has arrived.

I'm planning on doing a vanos overhaul, new rod bearings, and valve adjustment on it.

I can't decide on whether to give it a new clutch and flywheel. The engine *only* has 119k and was from an SMG, so it's probably fine, but I'd be kicking myself if it needs a new clutch 10,000 miles down the line...

What other 'while you're there' jobs are worth considering?
probably a bit late now but I’d go for head off relap all valves, new valve seals, pop in some new piston rings, “ok possibly some kind of hone “on cylinders,, easily dose while you have engine on stand. Bring that 119k motor back to life ...definitely check the oil pump chain tensioner this will probably be worn to the point of having little pits/ holes, that what I’ve found on 100 k motor,

Last edited by Chady; 15th July 2018 at 08:44 AM.
Chady is offline   Reply With Quote