The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum

Go Back   The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum > M3 and M4 Talk > E46 M3 (2001-2006) > E46 FAQ

Old 10th March 2007, 03:52 PM   #1
suraj
A Chosen One!

Car: Not an M3 ;)
Default Auto-tilt mirrors?

Hi,

Was just wondering if the E46 M3 came with the auto-tilt mirrors when the car is put into reverse. Was this just for SMG's or MT's too ?
suraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11th March 2007, 02:19 AM   #2
CA Automotive
A mere Chipper

Its on almost all BM's from about 98' ish.
If yours isnt tilting then flick the mirror selector switch to the drivers door & then give it another try
CA Automotive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2007, 02:45 AM   #3
suraj
A Chosen One!

Do you have the instructions to adjust the amount of tilt? I think forum members may find this useful.

I can source instructions for the US spec but they may not work on UK spec?
Old 11th March 2007, 02:49 AM   #4
CA Automotive
A mere Chipper

As far as im aware the tilt degree is only dealer adjustable on UK models but i'll see what i can find out
CA Automotive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2007, 03:02 AM   #5
suraj
A Chosen One!

Sweet. I will pull up them US instructions I found, maybe someone here can try them out and let us know what happens
Old 8th July 2007, 09:30 PM   #6
johnnyv
A mere Chipper

Car: Carbon Black 2003 M3 Coupe

I have tried the US instructions and there is no way I can get them to work at all.....
There must be away though !!!!!!!!!!!!
johnnyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2007, 10:03 PM   #7
peanut1
Achieved official socks

Car: 51 plate T5

Would love to know coz I do get neck ache when reversing!!!
Nut
peanut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2008, 12:03 AM   #8
captainslow
On the path

Car: 05 e46 M3 cab manual

The degree of tilt is only adjustable by computer. The dealer can set it to function to your key. There are a huge number of programmable options which can be linked to your key including opening and closing a convertible hood remotely if required.
captainslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2008, 02:30 AM   #9
JeffM3
Achieved official socks

Car: 03 e46 M3 S/G. R-imola MANual

yep its a dealer setup i'm afraid,

for the anybody wanting info on what things the m3 has and doesn't have, take a look at this thread, some of these options are U.S only but most will work on U.K models too.

things_you_didn't_know_about_your_M3_link! its a long read!

Suraj the mirror setting procedure has been on here for ages m8 with plenty of other facts to in that thread link above might be worth making it a sticky as there is plenty of good info in there!

here is the mirror page from that thread,

9. Mirrors – Lots of confusion on this one. I could use some help concentrating the point here.
9.1. When the car is in reverse you can set the passenger side mirror angled downward so you can see the curb - from then on, whenever you shift into reverse, the mirror will automatically adjust to that position. You can also change it back so it doesn't do it, but I forgot the exact step-by-step process.
9.2. Here it is, step-by-step: Slide the mirror switch to the passenger side position. Done. Now, when you put the car into reverse, the mirror will not tilt. The mirror switch in the driver's position causes the mirror to tilt when the car is in reverse. While the engine is running, put the car back into neutral. The mirror goes back to its original position. You can adjust it from this position; you cannot adjust the mirror settings while it's tilted.
9.2.1. I spent a huge amount of time on this 3 years ago researching the adjustable mirror thing to get it right. My understanding from the BMWNA tech's was that all E46 mirrors were powered, and that all mirrors dropped when in Reverse. It was only the adjustability of the mirrors that is tied to the Seat memory. I may have miss-understood them
10. 1. Connect the car to the DIS system.
2. Choose "1. Car Memory"
3. Choose "9. Seat/Mirror Memory"
4. Choose "2. Mirror Memory Automatic Kerb Parking Function"
5. Choose "1. Active" (It is set to "Inactive" by default)
6. Upload the new settings to the car.
7. Turn the ignition off and then back on.
8. Disconnect the car from the DIS system.
To position the mirror:
1. Push the mirror selector switch to the passenger side.
2. Put the car in reverse. (The mirror should tilt down)
3. Adjust the mirror position to what ever makes you happy.
4. Put the car back into N or 1. (The mirror should tilt back up)
That's it. Now when ever you back up the mirror will adjust to your custom settings, instead of all the way down. Please note that the mirror adjustment selector switch must be set to the passenger side for this to work. This is opposite of the way it works by default.
10.1. I have manual seats and my mirror does not tilt when in reverse regardless of where the switch is. I was told by the stealer that the reverse-tilt function is only available if you have power seats. Are they full of it? Can someone with manual seats confirm that this function works for them? I have several friends without power seats and each and every one of them has the tilt when in the drivers position. mayhaps there is an issue with your motor or electronics. Cowboy Bebop generally knows his stuff cold, but this last statement really left me puzzled. Might be worth some follow-up. Auto-tilt is something that is associated with the power seat/memory package, and I've yet to see a car with manual seats that has it.
10.2. Set 3rd position on your favorite driving position (probably your 1st posit.), then rotate both mirrors down and hit memory for position 3. Then, if you're backing up and want to see driver's side curb, or if some a**hole is blinding you from the back with his bright lights, just hit 3rd posit. and mirrors will rotate down. Then just hit 1st posit. to rotate them back up.

Can only be set by the computer DIS system as you can see above chaps sorry

Last edited by JeffM3; 23rd October 2008 at 02:49 AM.
JeffM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2008, 03:07 AM   #10
JeffM3
Achieved official socks

I've just saved it all as a word doc. and you can download it from here. links are also on the original thread.

things you didn't know about your E46 M3.docx you will find the download link near the bottom of the page in this link

or try this one things_you_didn't_know_about_your_E46_M3.docx let me know if they don't work!

Last edited by JeffM3; 23rd October 2008 at 03:28 AM.
Old 23rd October 2008, 08:14 AM   #11
SimonM3
Achieved official socks

Car: 2002 BMW M3 SMG

need an addition to it,
if a chav comes along and kicks your door mirror it will automatically detach from the main body, this also invokes a state of high aggression and rage in the owner of the mirror
SimonM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2008, 08:17 AM   #12
SimonM3
Achieved official socks

Car: 2002 BMW M3 SMG

oh Jeff Mate, as most people dont yet have MS Office 2007, word 2007 and you have saved this in micro****s new "open document" format, people with older versions of office and word, wont be able to open it, unless they download and instal a thing called microsoft excel word compatability pack.
easier for you to save the file in the 97- 2003 file format
SimonM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2008, 06:32 PM   #13
JeffM3
Achieved official socks

I thought i did save it in 2003 sorry chaps i'll redo it and post another link!
Old 24th October 2008, 01:55 PM   #14
JeffM3
Achieved official socks

Things you dont know about your M3.doc hopefully it should be in 2003 word doc coz it was created on microsoft word which i'm sure can be viewed in office 2003,

could someone check this link for me and see if it opens in 2003 if you have it thanks!
Old 26th November 2008, 10:19 AM   #15
Rawhide
A mere Chipper

I tried adjusting the angle of tilt with the car in reverse yesterday and it only adjusted the drivers side mirror. My car has electric seats and I couldn't find a way of doing it. Any ideas? I've read the FAQ
Rawhide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2008, 01:32 AM   #16
JeffM3
Achieved official socks

Did you do it with the key set to position 1 etc.

It only seems to work on certain models in the U.S.A all seem to have this function, if you need to adjust the tilt angle from looking straight at the floor when revercing unfortunatly if yours won't do it manually you will have to ask the dealers to set it for you, mine was the same but when i was in for a service i asked them to change it and they it did free of charge, can't speak for all dealers as i have heard people getting charged 20 for it??
Old 11th October 2009, 05:24 PM   #17
outnmbered
On the path

Car: M3 CSL
Colour Combo: SG
In a nutshell there are two modes for the auto-dipping door mirror (which all UK cars with seat position memory will have), and it's a dealer programmable setting in the car/key memory. One setting makes it dip as far as it can when you selecet reverse, with no adjustment ; the other allows you to set up where you'd like it to dip to. You need the dealer to program it to the latter setting if you want to be able to set the dip yourself. If it's programmed to the former setting, you can fiddle all you like, but it won't be remembered.

Last edited by outnmbered; 11th October 2009 at 05:26 PM.
outnmbered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2014, 09:11 AM   #18
Beema
Banned

Car: 2004 M3
Colour Combo: Cherry Red

I thought mine didn't come as standard but found out it wasn't working due to a small hairline crack. Replaced mirror for 158 now working!
Beema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2014, 09:12 AM   #19
Beema
Banned

Car: 2004 M3
Colour Combo: Cherry Red

Also you can check by flicking to heated and then back to R or L
Beema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2016, 12:19 PM   #20
The Restor
On the path

Car: E70 X5 40d LCI

So I had a UK car with electric seats (standard)? and not heated.

To dip the mirror when selecting reverse the mirror selector needs to be on the passenger side mirror.

By default this will cause the mirror to dip all the way down. You can adjust the mirror but the setting will not be remembered.

If you want the setting to be saved you need to ask the dealer to do this...

1. Connect the car to the DIS system.
2. Choose "1. Car Memory"
3. Choose "9. Seat/Mirror Memory"
4. Choose "2. Mirror Memory Automatic Kerb Parking Function"
5. Choose "1. Active" (It is set to "Inactive" by default)
6. Upload the new settings to the car.
7. Turn the ignition off and then back on.
8. Disconnect the car from the DIS system.

Now when you adjust the mirror using the instructions below it will save the setting:

1. Push the mirror selector switch to the passenger side.
2. Put the car in reverse. (The mirror should tilt down)
3. Adjust the mirror position to what ever makes you happy.
4. Put the car back into N or 1. (The mirror should tilt back up)

If you don't want the mirror to dip when reversing change the selector switch to the driver side.
The Restor is offline   Reply With Quote