The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum

Go Back   The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum > M3 and M4 Talk > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Old 24th October 2017, 03:09 PM   #41
7DT
Achieved official socks

Car: 2002 BMW M3
Colour Combo: Carbon Black / Black

So, it's been quiet for a while. Obviously initially I was looking at an engine rebuild/crank polish, but through some luck managed to source a replacement engine at the weekend (I believe of Dino's old car) so that went in today/yesterday. Shame about the imola red, but at least I know the engine has been babied so that's put me at ease.

As an "unfortunate" side effect I also ended up with a Miltek backbox and an AP Racing 6pot BBK. Not actually heard the backbox, and not sure youtube does it much justice, but reckoned i might as well seeing as my exhaust centre section had seen better days. Hopefully it'll sound fun

Add this to the the SMG relocation that's been done, new clutch, new flywheel, stainless clutch pivot thing and burkhart SMG motor and I think I've now officially replaced the whole bloody car bar the gearbox. Hopefully no more big bills for a long long time.

To think it went in because the clutch had given up. I think I've definitely proven the sunk cost fallacy with this one.
7DT is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 24th October 2017, 04:13 PM   #42
JamesHirst
Achieved official socks

Car: 2003 E46 M3
Colour Combo: TittySilver/Black

good work there mate. dinos replacement engine has to be cheaper than a complete engine rebuild. i remember reading the car had been side swiped. such a shame.

least you will be back on the road soon with some choice upgrades
JamesHirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2017, 04:19 PM   #43
7DT
Achieved official socks

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesHirst View Post
good work there mate. dinos replacement engine has to be cheaper than a complete engine rebuild. i remember reading the car had been side swiped. such a shame.

least you will be back on the road soon with some choice upgrades
Yeah, massive shame, even if it was gutted when i saw it, it looked so nice... but I can't complain, as the engine looks like it has some choice upgrades to it, and has been babied throughout it's life so far, so I'll continue with that.

The frustrating bit is going to be not putting my foot down for the next 400 miles or so.
Old 24th October 2017, 04:22 PM   #44
bennn
Achieved official socks

Car: 2002 E46 M3
Colour Combo: Titan Silver / Black

Take it from the above that you're having the bottom end bearing done in the new engine before it goes in?!
bennn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2017, 04:27 PM   #45
7DT
Achieved official socks

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennn View Post
Take it from the above that you're having the bottom end bearing done in the new engine before it goes in?!
Well, the good news for me is that it had been done just before the car got sideswiped, so don't need to do anything to the engine, in fact, it's already in the car! Got lucky with it, with king race bearings having been put in, and recent new head gasket. Vanos looks nice and shiny as well. And seeing as Vanos was on my to do list, that has probably saved me a little as well.

To be honest with the rotten run of luck i've had with the car, been due some good news even if it is off the back off rippng the old engine out!
Old 24th October 2017, 04:39 PM   #46
JamesHirst
Achieved official socks

sounds like you got a cracking engine there mate. thats 3 of the big jobs in one hit. fingers crossed ya got some troublefree miles ahead now
Old 24th October 2017, 09:16 PM   #47
bennn
Achieved official socks

Car: 2002 E46 M3
Colour Combo: Titan Silver / Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7DT View Post
Well, the good news for me is that it had been done just before the car got sideswiped, so don't need to do anything to the engine, in fact, it's already in the car! Got lucky with it, with king race bearings having been put in, and recent new head gasket. Vanos looks nice and shiny as well. And seeing as Vanos was on my to do list, that has probably saved me a little as well.
How come you have to go steady for 400 miles then?!
bennn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2017, 09:24 PM   #48
7DT
Achieved official socks

Quote:
Advice more than anything, just to go easy on it for 400 mi9les, then do an oil change. What the guy that had the car was dioing to bed the engine in. To be honest, I don't know the ins and outs, but at this point in my (unfortunate so far) car ownership lifespan I'm inclined to just take the advice and be careful. I'm guessing it's kind of like a running in of the engine.

The car (dino's old one) got side swiped as he was driving it to work to do this running in thing.

I'd rather be safe than sorry at this point!

Would be nice if someone could chime in though. Maybe this needs a new thread...
Old 24th October 2017, 09:35 PM   #49
M3Chas
Achieved official socks

Car: 2003 BMW M3
Colour Combo: Mystic Blue/Grey

A very interesting thread this for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benchmark View Post
Now I'm paranoid (plus around the corner from you) since you did the oil analysis and it came back clear yet you discovered that!
I just ordered the same oil sample kit, which now seems like a waste of time.
I think wasted in the wrong term in this context I'll explain with the next quote

Quote:
I'd say it is. Oil testing was a waste of money. Completely. If it's not been done get it over with and do it.
While I see your anger it seems that oil analysis can tell you what damage is being done. If the shells were breaking apart then yes you'd know. Those shells bar the scoring actually look remarkably OK. It is a shame that a bit of grit was present!

It seems as you know that the damage in that engine was caused by the rod bearings going bad. The grit could have happened at any mileage.

Whie it is unlikely, what oil and filters have the car seen during its life with you?

Quote:
I am guessing Dino's engine wasn't quite run in enough on the new shells .

Quote:

To be honest with the rotten run of luck i've had with the car, been due some good news even if it is off the back off rippng the old engine out!
If you don't mind me asking, what were you quote to have another crank thrown into the engine? Or was that not an option.

This thread has not helped my situation at all. Mine's on 130k with a full service history but it has had the bearing recall done and by the looks of the history it was a motorway driven car until 90k.

Fair play to you doing that on a high miler. I suspect most would have sold your car worried about mileage and residuals.

Last edited by M3Chas; 24th October 2017 at 09:43 PM.
M3Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2017, 09:59 PM   #50
7DT
Achieved official socks

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Chas View Post
A very interesting thread this for sure.

I think wasted in the wrong term in this context I'll explain with the next quote

While I see your anger it seems that oil analysis can tell you what damage is being done. If the shells were breaking apart then yes you'd know. Those shells bar the scoring actually look remarkably OK. It is a shame that a bit of grit was present!

It seems as you know that the damage in that engine was caused by the rod bearings going bad. The grit could have happened at any mileage.

Whie it is unlikely, what oil and filters have the car seen during its life with you?

I am guessing Dino's engine wasn't quite run in enough on the new shells .

If you don't mind me asking, what were you quote to have another crank thrown into the engine? Or was that not an option.

This thread has not helped my situation at all. Mine's on 130k with a full service history but it has had the bearing recall done and by the looks of the history it was a motorway driven car until 90k.

Fair play to you doing that on a high miler. I suspect most would have sold your car worried about mileage and residuals.
I've had the car since january. Had a leak fixed and new oil beginning febraury, then had a service II done (new oil again and everything else that comes with it) in may. Car then spent a month getting bodywork done, before I had it for a month and then the clutch went, at which point I decided to have the rod bearings looked at. It's not wanted for anything whilst I've owned it, have fixed everything, replaced parts, upgraded others. Never revved when cold, redone the shift lights to match CSL temps as well.

However I don't think it weas treated well, and the fact is, I bought a lemon, although these days it's far from what it started out life as.

Engine wise, to have another crank thrown in, I think I'd be looking at at least the same as i paid for the engine if not more, seeing as at that point, it'd need taking out the car anyway (labour), then sending off to be polished, and then meanwhile the rest of the engine you may as well see if anything else is about to go tits up. So it could have been anything really. My gut feeling was that the whole job would end up at around 4k-ish for the rebuild which is more than the engine cost me. Once the option of a sorted engine was on the table I stopped trying to get a quote really, as It'd be more in any case.

Kind of a balancing act, the rebuild would have meant fun parts, but in the end I had to think (semi) sensibly. Although some would say this isn't sensible, but I plan to keep this thing for a long time.

At this stage of the car, i've actually sorted out quite a lot, and with having already replaced the RACP, plated it and braced it, I kind of figured the shell and chassis was good. Also have had the bodywork done. So at that point, it's all the sunk costs fallacy, where I've kind of put to much in in the past 10 months to feel good about taking a massive hit.

I will be babying it though when it comes back, oil changes at twice the recommended intervals/every 6 months. Be retarded not to really.
Old 24th October 2017, 10:06 PM   #51
M3Chas
Achieved official socks

Car: 2003 BMW M3
Colour Combo: Mystic Blue/Grey

Good on you on that. And well done for sticking it out.

It sounds at least that your car will be superb for years to come. Let's be honest, that's what buying an M3 is all about!

Where has your SMG pump been relocated to? I know it was an issue on the E36 SMGs but not the E46 due to it living under the inlet manifold.

The comment about the crank costing more is interesting. I have a rough idea of what a good engine goes for these days. You almost wonder if it is worth buying a 15k car with alot of the big jobs already done, a little like your engine. I'll be honest, the rod bearings can make or break the M3 given the value of the lower end cars.

Options, options....
M3Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2017, 10:16 PM   #52
7DT
Achieved official socks

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Chas View Post
Good on you on that. And well done for sticking it out.

It sounds at least that your car will be superb for years to come. Let's be honest, that's what buying an M3 is all about!

Where has your SMG pump been relocated to? I know it was an issue on the E36 SMGs but not the E46 due to it living under the inlet manifold.

The comment about the crank costing more is interesting. I have a rough idea of what a good engine goes for these days. You almost wonder if it is worth buying a 15k car with alot of the big jobs already done, a little like your engine. I'll be honest, the rod bearings can make or break the M3 given the value of the lower end cars.

Options, options....
SMG pump has been relocated to the top left compartment in the engine bay. As it's an older car, the stuff in there has been relocated somewhere else.

I know the heat sensor is most people's fix for overheating, but I think that just masks that it is getting ridiculously hot. Electric motor and lots of heat generally doesn't lead to long term reliability. Plus, I have paranoia, have had 3-4 occasions with the old pump where it'd due the dreaded dropping out of gear on a hot day, so i don't want that to happen.

At the same time, I also figured that once relocated, maintenance on it and replacing parts becomes a lot easier job, maybe even one I could do myself (not that I'd want to)

I am hoping that all the effort put in followed by routine maintenance and preventative work will actually make it last for years to come. I don't see a point in selling as most people look at mileage, and at what I'd get for it, may as well keep it as a fun car and if i need a less fun more practical car just get one, and leave it as a toy for having a blast in! Besides, I bought it to drive it, and bought it because I wanted something fun that looks amazing. I've looked at a lot of cars whilst mine has been out, and none of them tick all the boxes for me. Either stupid money, or look like they've been hit with an ugly stick, too boy racerish and too much tech inside. Every car has problems, at least I reckon I know about mine.
Old 30th October 2017, 11:40 PM   #53
7DT
Achieved official socks

So I got to see the engine running after putting oil in it and bleeding the relocated SMG system at the weekend. An engine starting has never sounded so good!

Needs a few more bits tidying up as well as brakes bleeding as I "may" have put an AP Racing bbk on the front...

Really can't wait to get it back, and really hoping my "everything that can go wrong" curse gets lifted
Old 31st October 2017, 08:26 AM   #54
JamesHirst
Achieved official socks

nice one mate. stick at it. youo be happy when its done
Old 31st October 2017, 10:05 AM   #55
7DT
Achieved official socks

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesHirst View Post
nice one mate. stick at it. youo be happy when its done
Aye. It's weird seeing the car and realizing I own it at this stage seeing as it's been out of action this long!

Might even get to upgrade the audio and finish off the heated seat wiring by the end of the year, that'd be nice, spending cash on stuff that isn't repairs/maintenance