The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum

Go Back   The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum > Other BMWs and other marques > Bikes. Trikes?

Old 26th June 2017, 07:56 AM   #1
hoff900
Wearing official robes

Car: 2005 E46 M3
Default After CBT

Before I done my CBT on Saturday, I had Zero experience on a bike.

I found the slow manoeuvres relative easy, however once we got out on the road and it became real life, I wouldn't say it was hard, but I was really concentrating very hard to ride the bike.

Where I was concentrating hard on just riding the bike, I was not focused on what I was doing, and found myself doing stupid thing I would never dream of doing in a car.

I felt it came together a bit on the final 15mins of the ride, but was still not 100% confident.

So I am in two minds, should I buy a 125 and go out an learn and get used to riding at my own pace with no pressure from an instructor? And at least have a bike now.

Or do a couple of more hours with the instructor then work towards my MOD 1?

There is also the fact you cannot get a MOD 2 test until late September, so I am thinking by the time I get round to MOD 2 the test will be October/November and don't fancy doing my test in winter?
hoff900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 26th June 2017, 02:58 PM   #2
j3nks79
Achieved official socks

Car: 05 M3 SMG
Colour Combo: CB/Black

Only you can decide really. My advice would be get as many miles under your belt as possible. As you've found out riding a motorbike on the road is very different to driving a car.

It was a bit different for me as I've been riding motorbikes since I was 5 so riding the bike wasn't a problem. But I can imagine what you are going through learning how to ride the bike and where to position yourself on the road.

Don't beat yourself up and it will take time to become a skilled rider. It won't just happen overnight.
j3nks79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2017, 07:33 PM   #3
jimyu
Achieved official socks

Car: E46 M3, Z4MC, 435i, Yamaha MT-07

I would (and did) get a 125 for 8mths or so and do the full licence in spring.
jimyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2017, 11:01 PM   #4
Jaaydee
Achieved official socks

Car: 2004 BMW M3 Manual
Colour Combo: Titty Silver & Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimyu View Post
I would (and did) get a 125 for 8mths or so and do the full licence in spring.
I'd do this too. Don't spend a lot of money on one, you don't need to. It sounds to me you need as many miles under your belt as you can get and that will build your confidence on the road. The last 125 I got rid of did 120 mph so you don't have to poodle about (that was a tuned RS125)
Jaaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2017, 07:12 AM   #5
mattwade24
Wearing official underwear

Car: E46 M3
Colour Combo: Steel Grey / Cinnamon

+1 on getting a 125cc, it will teach you a lot and get you to a point you're not worrying about what the bikes doing, just focusing on the environment around you.

The Mod1 is all off road, slow speed manoeuvers, so if you're comfortable with them, there's nothing stopping you getting that part of the test done.. then you'll only have to focus on the road ride (Mod2).
mattwade24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2017, 09:37 PM   #6
sitronic
Rocking a new hat

Car: M3
Colour Combo: beige

I passed my test back in the days of, "you've passed, not go and a litre bike and kill yourself"...
My advice would be to start off on the small bike...a 500cc all rounder would be docile enough but have enough power to not make you fell vulnerable..Easy to handle too...

Becoming a skilled rider (in terms of machine control), takes years, and it's a skill that you will probably always want to keep improving..

I've been riding 20+ years and i still do training courses..This year I'm doing my Level 4 California Superbike School At Donington, and many guys repeat that same level every year or so...

Riding a bike takes a much higher level of concentration and skill than driving, and once you start to get into it, particularly if you get into performance bikes, cars will seem tame..But with that higher level of difficulty comes a much higher level of involvement and reward..

Let us know how you get on, and let's hope you get your licence and join the human race!
sitronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2017, 08:50 PM   #7
gog5
On the path

Car: E60 M5
Colour Combo: Silverstone / Black

I did my CBT last March then bought a 125 whilst I did my MOD 1 and 2 over April/May. I'd never really been on a bike either and being a bit lanky and heavy found the 125 wobbly as hell, but I'm glad I got one. I wasn't very confident at first, concentrating on the controls a lot. But after going out on the 125 most days for a practice it does get much easier and feel more natural like driving a car (didn't feel like I'd ever get to that stage at first)

I then got a Triumph Daytona 675 for no other reason than I just really wanted one. And in the past year after 4500 miles all over Scotland in all weathers I'm finally feeling much more confident but still learning loads every time I go out with more experienced folk.

Take it easy whatever route you take, I've scared myself a few times
gog5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2017, 11:02 PM   #8
JonnyGee
A mere Chipper

Car: 2006 M3

dont waste your money on buying a 125 most places charge 99 for a 3 hour lesson on say a 600 650,whats the point in learning to balance and ride a 125 when it will be completely different on a full size and weight bike
after a few lessons with lots of riding you will soon pick it up
JonnyGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2017, 11:02 PM   #9
JonnyGee
A mere Chipper

plus its much more fun
Old 5th July 2017, 01:06 AM   #10
stuartk
Achieved official socks

Car: F10 M5 & E89 Z4 & M2
Colour Combo: Monte Carlo Blue/ Silverstone Merino Leather @ Mineral White/ Red leather

I have just done the cbt and das and 600cc bike was far easier to ride than the 125cc

I started in April and did CBT, three training days 1 on 1 passes both mod 1 and 2 first time.

I'm doing a further training day on my R6 with same guy to learn advanced stuff
stuartk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2017, 06:19 AM   #11
Doc
Achieved official socks

Car: 2003 e46 M3 SMG
Colour Combo: silver / blue

You need miles under your belt but if you're not safe when doing those miles you'll kill yourself. Either get another few hours with an instructor or if you have a capable "bike mate" who can follow you and set you straight, that would be useful too.
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2017, 03:00 PM   #12
Bikemad04
Wearing official robes

Car: E92 M3
Colour Combo: Alpine White / Black

I wouldn't bother with a 125, crap to ride and will be a new learning curve again when you get on a bigger bike, I would get your test done and get a cheap bandit 600 or similar and get some miles on that.
Bikemad04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2017, 07:50 PM   #13
sitronic
Rocking a new hat

My mate passed his test 18 months ago (but he already knew how to ride..but no legally)..and jumoed straight onto a 2010 ZX6 Kwak...
A few weeks ago he bought a demo miles ZX10 with all the electronics..He's a very fast capable rider, so getting into serious bikes isn't an automatic recipe for death..
That said i would advise against buying a litre bike..even one that's 10 years old, because there is a huge step up in power and torque.
Old 6th July 2017, 01:34 AM   #14
JonnyGee
A mere Chipper

My first big bike is a 650 bandit easy to ride and maintain and loads of fun, enough power to get u in and out of trouble
Old 6th July 2017, 09:25 AM   #15
mattwade24
Wearing official underwear

Car: E46 M3
Colour Combo: Steel Grey / Cinnamon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitronic View Post
My mate passed his test 18 months ago (but he already knew how to ride..but no legally)..and jumoed straight onto a 2010 ZX6 Kwak...
A few weeks ago he bought a demo miles ZX10 with all the electronics..He's a very fast capable rider, so getting into serious bikes isn't an automatic recipe for death..
That said i would advise against buying a litre bike..even one that's 10 years old, because there is a huge step up in power and torque.
I was in the exact same situation, knew how to ride and handle "bigger bikes". Done my DAS at 24 and went and bought a 2008 GSXR1000, I'm glad I jumped straight in as you quickly get used to the power, just need to treat them with respect!
mattwade24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2017, 07:02 PM   #16
sitronic
Rocking a new hat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattwade24 View Post
I was in the exact same situation, knew how to ride and handle "bigger bikes". Done my DAS at 24 and went and bought a 2008 GSXR1000, I'm glad I jumped straight in as you quickly get used to the power, just need to treat them with respect!

you know it makes sense.
Old 24th July 2018, 11:07 AM   #17
TayloorM3
A mere Chipper

Car: 2010 BMW M3
Colour Combo: Alpine White/Black

I was same... jumped on a Yamaha yz 125 and flew down green lanes. A week later very much more in control of the bike and confident on the road. It's a very different feeling from a car!
TayloorM3 is offline   Reply With Quote