The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum
 

Go Back   The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum > Other BMWs and other marques > Bikes. Trikes?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th June 2016, 01:53 PM   #41
M4rius
Achieved official socks
 
M4rius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: west sussex
Posts: 1,778
Car: E46 M3 SMG
Colour Combo: Yellow/Kiwi
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3MANIAC View Post
I'd say Ducati 1199 Pengale R...
pretty sure it's more like ferrari or lambo


M3 equivalent would be that

M4rius is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 13th June 2016, 02:01 PM   #42
Stone Cold
Wearing official underwear
 
Stone Cold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Bournemouth
Posts: 207
Car: 2012 M3
Colour Combo: Jerez Black/Black
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4rius View Post
pretty sure it's more like ferrari or lambo


M3 equivalent would be that

To be fair that looks a right laugh, what is it?
Stone Cold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2016, 02:25 PM   #43
jonboy1984
Achieved official socks
 
jonboy1984's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Belfast
Posts: 8,559
Car: 2011 dct e90
Colour Combo: Space grey / black leather
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Yeah I get your bike, if you are a daily commuter, need panniers etc.

But for a lot of folk that ride, a bike is often a toy in addition to a car (which is the practical option) so it doesn't need to be practicle. Or ridden to 10/10ths (most M3 owners don't use half it's capability). It only needs to provoke emotion - looking at it, riding it, hearing it and twisting the right hand. Look at Rory's for example. That pops a boner just looking at it, let alone riding it.
So bike ownership is more about d1ck measuring your mates that you have a bike putting 200 to the back wheel even though you cant use half of it? (the back tyre doesn't lie).... Yeah I love looking at sportsbikes, they are unreal but I buy a bike to ride it as silly as that sounds. Whether its a toy or not, you are still using it on the roads so you are doing distance and a sports bike just isn't cut out for it. unless you are one of these people that does about 1000 mile a year

This is a toy for me and will never see panniers or any of that sh1t, I live in one of the best road racing countries on the planet and have tested all manor of litre sports bikes. Factoring in road conditions, traffic, ability and hazards a sports adventure bike will run rings round a sports bike. The engine is tuned for more torque which favors it on any b road. I find it amusing all these guys that live in the centre of London buying R1's and Fireblades so they can light it up and down dual carriageways to impress their mates
jonboy1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2016, 06:37 PM   #44
Raj24v
Achieved official socks
 
Raj24v's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 907
Car: .
Default

Sorry... I agree with Keith here. Buying a bike, for me, has to provoke emotion from all my senses. I personally buy bikes/cars that I think are very aesthetically pleasing. That is something that's important to me. These sports tourers do absolutely nothing for me in that dept. Sure it's quick as F but so is a Nissan Pulsar.
Raj24v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2016, 06:53 PM   #45
FulEnglish
Achieved official socks
 
FulEnglish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 1,482
Car: E36 M3 GT Individual
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboy1984 View Post
So bike ownership is more about d1ck measuring your mates that you have a bike putting 200 to the back wheel even though you cant use half of it? (the back tyre doesn't lie).... Yeah I love looking at sportsbikes, they are unreal but I buy a bike to ride it as silly as that sounds. Whether its a toy or not, you are still using it on the roads so you are doing distance and a sports bike just isn't cut out for it. unless you are one of these people that does about 1000 mile a year

This is a toy for me and will never see panniers or any of that sh1t, I live in one of the best road racing countries on the planet and have tested all manor of litre sports bikes. Factoring in road conditions, traffic, ability and hazards a sports adventure bike will run rings round a sports bike. The engine is tuned for more torque which favors it on any b road. I find it amusing all these guys that live in the centre of London buying R1's and Fireblades so they can light it up and down dual carriageways to impress their mates
All valid points fella but the thread angle is "What is the Motorbike equivalent of an M3?"

The BMW M3 is sports styled (wide arches, aggressive looks etc) car with plenty of power on tap.

The majority of M3 owners don't track their cars and live in built-up areas. The M3 isn't a practical car and comes with a certain set of bragging rights or willy waving you might say - much like you find with sports bikes.

So in that respect, I'd say the XR was equivalent to a BMW Touring of some guise and the super-sports 600s are more on a par with the M3
FulEnglish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2016, 06:58 PM   #46
boba fett
Achieved official socks
 
boba fett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Kent
Posts: 9,226
Car: N/A
Default

Honda VFR800
boba fett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2016, 07:32 PM   #47
ScottBacon
Achieved official socks
 
ScottBacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 12,616
Car: M3CS
Colour Combo: Alpine White
Default

Manish

Have you passed your test ??
ScottBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2016, 07:37 PM   #48
Smooth
Moderator
 
Smooth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Midlands
Posts: 15,767
Car: F80 M3 + Suzuki GSX-R750 L6 MotoGP
Colour Combo: YMB/Black, MotoGP Livery
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBacon View Post
Manish

Have you passed your test ??
Hello Scott. No not even had a lesson. Booked in on Monday for my CBT that's Compulsory Basic Test not Cock and Ball Torture.
Smooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2016, 07:38 PM   #49
ScottBacon
Achieved official socks
 
ScottBacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 12,616
Car: M3CS
Colour Combo: Alpine White
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBacon View Post
Manish

Have you passed your test ??

Just seen your other post. Forget 1000 cc bikes. They will throw you off without you even trying. Twist the throttle going over a ridge and ...... Bye bye

You need a 600 Cbr, or 600 Gixxer. The R6 is a bit too raw for you, the Cbr is smooth (just like you) and the gixxer is somewhere inbetween. Don't bite off more than you can chew on this one. Always ride safely.

But you need eyes in the back of your head bcos it's the other road users/pedestrians/idiots that you need to watch
ScottBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2016, 09:19 PM   #50
stuartk
Achieved official socks
 
stuartk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: West Midlands
Posts: 16,139
Car: F10 M5 & E89 Z4 & M2
Colour Combo: Monte Carlo Blue/ Silverstone Merino Leather @ Mineral White/ Red leather
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth View Post
Are these big bikes designed for taller men? I'm at not 1.65m so need a smaller framed one. I'm not sure my feet will reach the floor when perched on one of those big ones.
Mini Moto?
stuartk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2016, 09:21 PM   #51
stuartk
Achieved official socks
 
stuartk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: West Midlands
Posts: 16,139
Car: F10 M5 & E89 Z4 & M2
Colour Combo: Monte Carlo Blue/ Silverstone Merino Leather @ Mineral White/ Red leather
Default

By the way manish my mate has an R1 for sale with under 10k on the clock for 2500 I think. Ready to be taken only by us.
stuartk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2016, 09:39 PM   #52
Smooth
Moderator
 
Smooth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Midlands
Posts: 15,767
Car: F80 M3 + Suzuki GSX-R750 L6 MotoGP
Colour Combo: YMB/Black, MotoGP Livery
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartk View Post
By the way manish my mate has an R1 for sale with under 10k on the clock for 2500 I think. Ready to be taken only by us.
Thanks for offer mate. I think I'd like a new one as my first bike though.
Smooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2016, 09:44 PM   #53
GryY2459
Wearing official robes
 
GryY2459's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 333
Car: Saving for f type svr
Colour Combo: Don’t like any of the colours,get wrapped
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboy1984 View Post
I've already shown you... The perfect all-rounder... Comfortable, fast and beautifully made packed full of the latest tech


Don't know if it's the angle of the pic,but the back wheel looks really small,look like a kids bike
GryY2459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2016, 09:50 PM   #54
chattan
Achieved official socks
 
chattan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Scotland
Posts: 23,836
Car: M3 LE500, M3 Evo Track & RS4
Default

Seen one of these a week ago http://www.sportrider.com/2016-kawas...h2r-first-look

Very quick bike!
chattan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2016, 09:56 PM   #55
PeterC
On the path
 
PeterC's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Derby
Posts: 81
Car: 2001 M3
Colour Combo: Imola Red / Black
Default

Personally, I've always preferred litre bikes. They've never left me wanting more. For me, it's not about getting 100% out of the bike, it's getting 100% out of myself.
I'd say the e46 has more in common with my old 99 r1. Still abit mental when you want it to be, but a lot more practical than some of the latest generation stuff.


PeterC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2016, 09:57 PM   #56
jonboy1984
Achieved official socks
 
jonboy1984's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Belfast
Posts: 8,559
Car: 2011 dct e90
Colour Combo: Space grey / black leather
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterC View Post
Personally, I've always preferred litre bikes. They've never left me wanting more. For me, it's not about getting 100% out of the bike, it's getting 100% out of myself.
I'd say the e46 has more in common with my old 99 r1. Still abit mental when you want it to be, but a lot more practical than some of the latest generation stuff.


Lovely.. If you had to sell one what would it be?
jonboy1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2016, 10:02 PM   #57
PeterC
On the path
 
PeterC's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Derby
Posts: 81
Car: 2001 M3
Colour Combo: Imola Red / Black
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboy1984 View Post
Lovely.. If you had to sell one what would it be?
Unfortunately, I've since sold both. But if I could have one back, it would be the 4xv (99). They're slowly creeping up in value and this one was mint with just 13.5k.
PeterC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2016, 10:11 PM   #58
jonboy1984
Achieved official socks
 
jonboy1984's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Belfast
Posts: 8,559
Car: 2011 dct e90
Colour Combo: Space grey / black leather
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterC View Post
Unfortunately, I've since sold both. But if I could have one back, it would be the 4xv (99). They're slowly creeping up in value and this one was mint with just 13.5k.
Had a ride on a 99 a few weeks ago.... They are bold and mad as a bag of spiders. Id love an original low mileage red/white one to have in the garage
jonboy1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2016, 10:18 PM   #59
hood
Wearing official robes
 
hood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 386
Car: RS3
Colour Combo: Nardo
Default

Funny you should say the new Ducati.
On the Audi forum they have a drag race between the S1,RS3,RS6 and R8
Its a 1/4 mile race.
They then put in the Ducati(Audi own Ducati)-The 1000cc model against the R8 and the R8 beats it due to launch control start and quattro getting it away so quick.The RS6 would have beat the bike too.
Superb looking machine though and only 13K
As opposed to 100 odd!
hood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2016, 12:28 AM   #60
Redman
Achieved official socks
 
Redman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NW London
Posts: 7,365
Car: 65 4 series GC F36 Msport Estoril Blue/Oaster Interior
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hood View Post
Funny you should say the new Ducati.
On the Audi forum they have a drag race between the S1,RS3,RS6 and R8
Its a 1/4 mile race.
They then put in the Ducati(Audi own Ducati)-The 1000cc model against the R8 and the R8 beats it due to launch control start and quattro getting it away so quick.The RS6 would have beat the bike too.
Superb looking machine though and only 13K
As opposed to 100 odd!
Put the crack pipe down mate
Redman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools
Display Modes



All times are GMT. The time now is 05:22 PM.


This website uses cookies. By continuing to use the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about the cookies this website uses, click here.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2007 - 2018 M3cutters. All Rights Reserved.