The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum

Go Back   The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum > M3cutters Garage > Member Rides

Old 5th December 2015, 11:56 PM   #641
Dali
Achieved official socks

Car: nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castanea View Post
Hi Dahli, had enough of the Ohlins already?
I'd have thought by now you'd have realised there is no Holy Grail of suspension. I came to this conclusion years ago!

If you want to drive on the awful road surfaces in this country then you need to accept a certain amount of "roll" so the suspension can cope with the uneven road surface.

If you want it to ride like a track car then don't expect it to be comfortable or even vaguely acceptable on the road.

The thing about this perceived "roll" is that you can eliminate or reduce it with good throttle control. Keeping the power down evenly and consistently will help stabilise the front at any speed that is reasonable and safe on today's roads. When you are giving it some welly on uneven surfaces it is better for the body to roll than for the tyres to lose grip which is what happens with stiffer suspension.

If you can't control the car on the road with standard suspension then you are driving unsafely and beyond your ability anyway.

I've been running OEM Sachs for years now with Kilen springs (OEM spec but which use parallel wire and the rears don't break like OEM ones do). I also have Rogue rear RSMs and GC Road spec front top mounts and can feel/hear no difference to OEM except that I can get the front camber set correctly. The ride comfort is as good as you will get in this car and the ride height is pretty near standard too which means no problems with pot-holes, speed bumps or running onto ramps or jacking it up.

Must be a sign of old-age when I am happy with my car!
I agree on all counts Castnea!

Worth reading a few posts back where I experimented with softer springs on the Ohlins. Results were good but the car sat too low. I didn't stretch the springs to compensate for the lower rate - my mistake. I could have gone further but decided to pull the plug and sell them on. Since I was focussed on road suspension only, the 'track' performance side of the Ohlins wasn't utilized much. It made sense to sell them on, buy standard shocks and put the change towards other jobs for the car. The Ohlins went to a cutter who uses his car on the track and sometimes on the road - perfect application, he was very happy with the kit.

They are brilliant dampers - they never once knocked or made any weird sounds like I've had with a cheap coilover kit in the past. It would be awesome if Ohlins offered a 'Road' kit with standard height dampers and road friendly springs... take out 'track' bits which would reduce costs... one can wish.

I hear you on the body-roll. I have no real problem with it, I know some do. It makes the car feel more natural, in the way you can feel the response. Our setups are near identical it seems (apart from springs). As you say, the ride comfort is as good as it gets - I'm really impressed with it. Sure, handling isn't 'razor sharp' but it delivers a great ride, perfect for a daily.

Dali is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 17th December 2015, 08:40 AM   #642
Santielo
On the path

Car: 2003 BMW M3
Colour Combo: Silver Grey / Black

Best thread in forum !!! Amazing job and Awesome CAR !!!
Santielo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2016, 08:41 AM   #643
Kash196
A mere Chipper

Car: 2008 M6 E63
Colour Combo: Sapphire Black / Black

Hi fella,

firstly thank you for doing a great write up!

I know this is an old thread however it has helped me a great deal.

I am now booked in to have my Ohlins R/T Kit fitted in April at CG!

thanks again!
Kash196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2016, 08:30 PM   #644
Stu78
Achieved official socks

Car: M3

Outstanding guides and an awesome car Dali

MODS THIS THREAD SHOUID BE MADE A STICKY WITH THESE INSTALL GUIDES
Stu78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2016, 09:47 PM   #645
KeFF0r
Wearing official underwear

Car: 2003 E46 M3 SMG
Colour Combo: Silver grey / Black

Thank you for all your detailed write ups, they really are very very helpful, I have learnt so much from reading your thread.

I recently purchased my own silver grey E46M so look out for my welcome/hello thread very soon.

Just repaired my rear view mirror using your guide

I also use my M3 as a daily, nice to know Im not the only 1

btw where is the garage you seem to use mostly 'Darren Wood', are they near South London/Surrey

Thanks

FAZ
KeFF0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2016, 11:52 PM   #646
Dali
Achieved official socks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santielo View Post
Best thread in forum !!! Amazing job and Awesome CAR !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash196 View Post
Hi fella,

firstly thank you for doing a great write up!

I know this is an old thread however it has helped me a great deal.

I am now booked in to have my Ohlins R/T Kit fitted in April at CG!

thanks again!
Excellent news Kash, you'll love the Ohlins - Chris and Pete from CG will do an excellent job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu78 View Post
Outstanding guides and an awesome car Dali

MODS THIS THREAD SHOUID BE MADE A STICKY WITH THESE INSTALL GUIDES
lol, thanks Stu!

I'll release a DIY book soon on Amazon, watch out Haynes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeFF0r View Post
Thank you for all your detailed write ups, they really are very very helpful, I have learnt so much from reading your thread.

I recently purchased my own silver grey E46M so look out for my welcome/hello thread very soon.

Just repaired my rear view mirror using your guide

I also use my M3 as a daily, nice to know Im not the only 1

btw where is the garage you seem to use mostly 'Darren Wood', are they near South London/Surrey

Thanks

FAZ

Hi Faz, thanks for the kind words and I am glad you found the guides very useful!

I use Darren Wood (Stockport) and Hughes Brothers BMW (Derby).

http://www.darren-wood.com/

http://www.hughesbrothersbmw.com/

Look forward to reading your thread

The ///M had its MOT this weekend and passed. Here are a couple more pics from CG...

I've driven the M235i a bit more. Honestly it's very difficult to fault this car, but there is one issue I can't ignore.... the lag!

From standstill I can feel the lag compared to the NA S54. Once the car is moving the power surges on very nicely of course (linear). I've used both sport and normal modes. I thought this wouldn't be noticeable, but it's there alright.

In contrast, the ///M feels effortless to get going from a standstill. In other words much more responsive, to be expected from NA. Not sure I agree with any marketing led "no lag" statements towards this engine...

Great car overall though
Old 30th January 2016, 03:38 PM   #647
Dali
Achieved official socks

Really want to try a set of Bilstein B4's now that they're back in stock, but I'll stay put for a bit. Also, looking forward to KevM3's eibach pro-street coilover kit review

Last edited by Dali; 28th February 2016 at 12:42 AM.
Old 30th January 2016, 05:16 PM   #648
kevM3
Achieved official socks

Car: 2008 E92 M3 & 2009 123d coupe
Colour Combo: Sparkling Graphite ,Black leather

Lol ,i havnt bought it yet Dal! But if i keep my 46 ill be buying it soon, they got great reveiws over the pond
kevM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2016, 02:20 PM   #649
Dali
Achieved official socks

Rear Hub Carrier - Upper Bushings
Had these replaced recently. A recent inspection discovered they were on their way out. BMW wanted 80 for the pair... I managed to get the OEM Lemforder set for ..... 20 from Amazon!

Part Number

I'll be back later with an update on the Sachs/Eibachs. If you are in limbo, I'd take a good look at the Bilstein B4s. Reviews are positive and with them being the same price as the Sachs it's a no brainer (imo).

Yesterday was overcast, making it great for taking some pictures:

BMW Car Bookazines
No doubt some of you have obtained copies of special bookazines by BMW Car. For those who haven't, it's well worth acquiring one. I purchased the M3 and M5 editions. It's loaded with content and each generation has pages upon pages dedicated to it (hence bookazine). This is very much literature for the ///M enthusiast.

Here are some glimpses, barely a fraction of the content:

You can purchase copies here:
http://www.unitymags.com/BMW-Car-Bookazines-s/1831.htm

Old 29th February 2016, 08:13 AM   #650
thetyrant
A mere Chipper

Car: BMW 130i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dali View Post
Really want to try a set of Bilstein B4's now that they're back in stock, but I'll stay put for a bit. Also, looking forward to KevM3's eibach pro-street coilover kit review
I would say miss out the B4's if you do decide to change again, they are ok as a standard replacement I guess but nothing special and after a few thousand miles on them with my 130i ive now removed and couple of weeks ago fitted a new set of Koni Sport adjustables (Yellows) with stock msport springs along with my modified bumpstops, car rides beautiful now on soft setting but still nice and controlled, much better than previous 6 setups! ... happy with mine now
thetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2016, 10:46 AM   #651
schooner32
Achieved official socks

Car: 2004 M3
Colour Combo: silver grey/ black

Just ordered both of those mags! Can't wait to read them
schooner32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2016, 12:58 PM   #652
Dali
Achieved official socks

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetyrant View Post
I would say miss out the B4's if you do decide to change again, they are ok as a standard replacement I guess but nothing special and after a few thousand miles on them with my 130i ive now removed and couple of weeks ago fitted a new set of Koni Sport adjustables (Yellows) with stock msport springs along with my modified bumpstops, car rides beautiful now on soft setting but still nice and controlled, much better than previous 6 setups! ... happy with mine now
Good Stuff. The B4's I still would like to sample - the OE specs are not going to thrill like a B6 or Koni, but for daily commuting it'll be a class above sachs I suspect. There have been some positive reviews about them on the 46M.

Only thing I dislike about the Koni's is rear adjustment. You have to take the damper off to adjust it each time. Seems like you have yours dialled in nicely though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schooner32 View Post
Just ordered both of those mags! Can't wait to read them
Great! You will not regret it
Old 29th February 2016, 01:39 PM   #653
thetyrant
A mere Chipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dali View Post
Good Stuff. The B4's I still would like to sample - the OE specs are not going to thrill like a B6 or Koni, but for daily commuting it'll be a class above sachs I suspect. There have been some positive reviews about them on the 46M.

Only thing I dislike about the Koni's is rear adjustment. You have to take the damper off to adjust it each time. Seems like you have yours dialled in nicely though.
I think the B4 will be near identical to the sachs as its just an oem spec replacement like the sachs, your right about Koni rear adjustment being a pain with stock versions (you can get top adjustables in usa but they are ) although to be honest on a road car I find full soft works very well giving much better wheel control than oem but better ride as well. I did play with various settings on my last set and on track a tad stiffer did feel good but on road home afterwards it was too firm for my liking.

Look forward to seeing what you try next
Old 28th March 2016, 08:53 PM   #654
Dali
Achieved official socks

Bilstein B4 Dampers (Rears)

A month ago I noticed my current Sachs setup becoming a little too soft. The car had 'wallowing' behaviour, most noticeably in the rear. This meant the body took longer to settle over bumps, an undesirable trait on fast road.
This is no surprise with Sachs, though I was expecting this behaviour later.

Bilstein B4
I've been keen on trying out the B4s for some time. As a recap, they are intended to replace the OE dampers, so have OEM valving. Bilstein products tend to be highly durable.

Rears only
So last month I replaced the rear sachs with a new pair of B4 rears. I only did the rear for two reasons. First, I didn't want to upset the geometry up front until I have a verdict on the B4. Secondly, I felt the rear required better management than the front.

Results
After install, the rear was noticeably firm. The the front and rear suspension felt very mismatched. I was surprised at the stiffness. B4's are twin tube unlike B6's, they should be softer.
However, after one week of driving the 'over-stiffness' vanished. The rears became very comfortable. They have just the right amount of firmness to stabilize the chassis, making the car feel 'tighter' but not uncomfortable.
There are far fewer secondary movements.

B4 Fronts?
I have no plans right now to install B4's at the front as I am really happy with this setup. The softer sachs at the front work great on bad roads, the slightly taughter B4's in the rear catch up quickly to control the body... wonderful!

A setup like this is experimental. Daily drivers looking for new dampers with a bias towards comfort should consider Sachs and Bilstein B4.
A full set of B4's will give a nice blend of comfort and handling. Whereas Sachs is more biased to comfort... just remember a very soft mushy suspension can be 'uncomfortable' too.

Spotted this shiny piece at HB a few weeks back, can you guess what model it belongs to?

Old 29th March 2016, 04:39 AM   #655
dannyboy23
Wearing official underwear

Car: E46 M3 2001
Colour Combo: Steel grey, Black

E30 or Z3?
dannyboy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2016, 06:34 AM   #656
zaharias
Wearing official robes

Car: 2005 M3 E46
Colour Combo: Carbon Black / Cinnamon
Thumbs up

Cleanest M in here...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Subed for more reviews on the Sachs/B4/Eibach set up.
zaharias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2016, 06:41 AM   #657
thetyrant
A mere Chipper

Good stuff, I liked the Rear B4s on my 130i but fronts felt lacking so sounds like you have a good combo, im loving my Konis now though which are better in comfort and body control, only downside is the need to remove rears to adjust but after much tweaking im happy for road use on either full soft ot +180 stiffer.
Next for me will probably be custom spec Ohlins but wont be for awhile.
Old 29th March 2016, 09:08 AM   #658
Rob043
Achieved official socks

Car: E46 M3
Colour Combo: Carbon Black/Imola Red

More excellent consumer advice, thank you!
Rob043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2016, 06:14 PM   #659
Dali
Achieved official socks

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy23 View Post
E30 or Z3?
E30 it is. There are some special bush carriers welded on for eccentric adjustment! The diff is E30 but contains E36 components... and a 2.5 from the E36 is also going into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaharias View Post
Cleanest M in here...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Subed for more reviews on the Sachs/B4/Eibach set up.
Back at you z!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetyrant View Post
Good stuff, I liked the Rear B4s on my 130i but fronts felt lacking so sounds like you have a good combo, im loving my Konis now though which are better in comfort and body control, only downside is the need to remove rears to adjust but after much tweaking im happy for road use on either full soft ot +180 stiffer.
Next for me will probably be custom spec Ohlins but wont be for awhile.
Everyone deserves to sample Ohlins at some point. We both agree for road use twin-tube is the way to go. I still consider the B6 great value for what it is.... if only they had a "chill" button.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob043 View Post
More excellent consumer advice, thank you!
No problem at all. There is not one suspension system that does it all for our cars. It will always be a compromise depending on what you want/need.

It's a real shame suspension companies can't find a use case to give us adaptive suspension like those found on modern cars.
Old 3rd April 2016, 04:53 PM   #660
Dali
Achieved official socks

Today was a great day for a drive and photos

Audi S3 (8V)

I sampled the new S3 from a family member who had one on loan. Have to say it left me disappointed. It's quick (you have dig deep to wake it up), the s-tronic transmission is fantastic as expected but there is just too much isolation from the driving experience. I expected some isolation, but not this much. Also, the interior creaked and rattled, very surprising. On that note, the interior design was very nice. For the money, the M235i is a much better option in my opinion. Next, I want to sample the RS3.