The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum

Go Back   The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum > M3cutters Garage > Faults, Fixes and Solutions

Old 15th October 2016, 08:55 AM   #81
cracked46
A mere Chipper

Car: E46 m3
Colour Combo: Carbon black with kiwi

Rivets along a seam are fine and would be really strong.i think if you start drilling on already weak and distorted panel, you will just icrease the chance of cracking due to the panel loosing its rigidity. Welding or replacement is the only thing I'm considering personally.
My boot floor has some hair line cracks inside some popped spot weld as well as hairline cracking underneath. What's worrying is that it took a good deal of cleaning with brake cleaner before I could really see the length of the cracks.
cracked46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 9th February 2017, 11:16 PM   #82
E3 PSB
Wearing official robes

Car: BMW M3 convertible smg AC Schnitzer springs, dampers & exhaust.
Colour Combo: Carbon black, black leather.

I called Rybrook Worcester to ask if they did a resin injection to strengthen but they categorically told me that there was no recall or requirement for this on my 04 vert, I'm guessing they don't check the floor pan/sub frame on inspection services? always take mine there, out of warranty now so I'm intrigued to see how this pans out?
E3 PSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2017, 01:30 PM   #83
Snowdog
Achieved official socks

Car: 2002 M3
Colour Combo: TS/Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by E3 PSB View Post
I called Rybrook Worcester to ask if they did a resin injection to strengthen but they categorically told me that there was no recall or requirement for this on my 04 vert, I'm guessing they don't check the floor pan/sub frame on inspection services? always take mine there, out of warranty now so I'm intrigued to see how this pans out?
Nope there was no UK recall or proactive advice from BMW at all, whereas in the USA they couldn't do more to contact and help owners. Personally I felt that to be poor form. I also believe that of the E46 community, the only owners who have really understood this are M guys, and those that are enthusiasts have pushed for resolution. With that in mind I also believe that the wider E46 community is in for an unpleasant surprise at some point. Sure, the power levels are less, but I'd wager that over time, there will be an increase in non M cars succumbing to this issue.
Snowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2017, 08:18 PM   #84
7DT
Achieved official socks

Car: 2002 BMW M3
Colour Combo: Carbon Black / Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by E3 PSB View Post
Coming from someone who's about to spend a lot of cash on getting mine fixed, i'd just bite the bullet and go and find an indy, and just get it plated. Prevention is better (and a ****load cheaper) than cure.
7DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2017, 07:39 AM   #85
Shezbo
Achieved official socks

Car: 2004 E46 M3 Cabriolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by cracked46 View Post
Bonding won't last

Most new cars use bonding (glue in lay mans terms) to join body panels....much much stronger than welding and reduced rust problems.

Ali cars are all bonded and riveted...
Shezbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2017, 10:00 AM   #86
tony66
Achieved official socks

Car: any
Default bonding

Quote:
Originally Posted by cracked46 View Post
Bonding won't last
really? hope you dont fly or travel a lot lol,a lot of highly stressed aircraft components are bonded together,where parts break its usually the metal itself tearing before any bonded surface gives way..
tony66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2017, 11:54 AM   #87
7DT
Achieved official socks

Car: 2002 BMW M3

Well, may as well post here as I have had my horror show fixed now

I got mine looked at and fixed by Gosling Racing (GRID) in Cambridgeshire. In all honesty, I wouldn't take my M anywhere else.

I had the entire panel replaced, plates welded on (redish level of coverage, for reference) and a stealth (vince) bar fitted. Also suspension refresh, and threw in a service II whilst half the car was off.

Superb job, and Shaun really knows his stuff. He's also one of those guys who'll take on challenging work that others will shy away from. He also takes a lot of pride in his work as well. Highly recommended.
7DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2017, 10:32 PM   #88
flintsigs
Wearing official underwear

Car: 2003 e46 m3 PY

Rough idea on price mate ?
flintsigs is offline   Reply With Quote