The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum

Go Back   The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum > M3cutters Garage > Faults, Fixes and Solutions

Old 18th January 2018, 05:44 PM   #41
timotei198
A mere Chipper

Car: E46 M3
Colour Combo: Silver Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard6 View Post
I was under the impression that was for the Dcan cable. I've only got the blue k-line one so haven't looked as far as that.
Yeah I think your right, I was just following the PDF instructions which said to do this even though I have the k-line cable as you do. When I was looking into it yesterday it is only needed for cars 2007 onwards with the DCAN cable.
timotei198 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 18th January 2018, 08:42 PM   #42
Richard6
Achieved official socks

Car: E46 Coupe

Regarding the LED on the cable plug, should this illuminate when it is plugged into the obd port of the car even when the other end isn't in the laptop?

Is it the PC that feeds the power for the led or the port in the car, if that makes sense?

Cheers, Richard.
Richard6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2018, 08:44 PM   #43
E46CoupeM3
Achieved official socks

Car: 2001 BMW M3
Colour Combo: Carbon Black

On every cable I have seen, yes.
Dude, you're just going back and too over thinking it now
E46CoupeM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2018, 06:43 PM   #44
Richard6
Achieved official socks

The car is currently encapsulated in snow and ice. The led has never lit up anytime I had the laptop connected and wasn't sure if it only lit when the link between the software and the car was established.

I'm hoping the OBD port isn't faulty. I've never had anything connected to the port in near ten years. Prior to that the car had been at main dealer for scheduled services (pre 38,000 miles) by its first owner so I'm not sure if it was every connected while there or whether they just reset it at the dashboard.

Will take the cable out and try it again. BCables claim on the instruction that the cables are tested prior to shipping so I'm not expecting it to be faulty

Maybe I would be better hunting down a pin out for the obd port and taking my Fluke out instead?

Cheers, Richard.
Old 20th January 2018, 11:45 PM   #45
m3shift
On the path

Car: BMW M3 E46
Colour Combo: Sliver and Red Leather

Quote:
The car is currently encapsulated in snow and ice. The led has never lit up anytime I had the laptop connected and wasn't sure if it only lit when the link between the software and the car was established.

I'm hoping the OBD port isn't faulty. I've never had anything connected to the port in near ten years. Prior to that the car had been at main dealer for scheduled services (pre 38,000 miles) by its first owner so I'm not sure if it was every connected while there or whether they just reset it at the dashboard.

Will take the cable out and try it again. BCables claim on the instruction that the cables are tested prior to shipping so I'm not expecting it to be faulty

Maybe I would be better hunting down a pin out for the obd port and taking my Fluke out instead?

Cheers, Richard.
Can you download TeamViewer on the laptop you are using to scan the car with ?

it doesn't need to be plugged into the car I can check all the drivers for you and install a known working copy of INPA if you would like,

Also if your internet connection did reach to the car I could then test INPA for you via TeamViewer,

PM if this is of any help I have been seeing your posts for awhile and think it's a simple fix,

Also is your key in position 2 my red light on the cable doesn't light up until then?

Best Regards,

M3SHIFT

Last edited by m3shift; 20th January 2018 at 11:51 PM.
m3shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2018, 09:13 PM   #46
E46CoupeM3
Achieved official socks

Car: 2001 BMW M3
Colour Combo: Carbon Black

Quote:

Cheers, Richard.
Most times it is either the driver installation messed up, wrong com port or even duplicate com ports where one has been manually entered / scripted into the registry so a conflict that could not normally occur (physical com or modem exists)
E46CoupeM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2018, 06:39 PM   #47
Richard6
Achieved official socks

Weather permitting, I'm hoping to chase this INPA problem again over the next few days as I've not had much opportunity to look at her car. Recently, the only time the cars been home is when the weathers been $hit or I've been otherwise busy.

Can anyone verify if the led on the cable socket lights up on plugging the cable into the OBD port without connecting the other end into the laptop?

Its looking like I will get a look at the back of the obd socket as I'm going to have to pull it all out to change the final stage resistor unit which I'm waiting arrival on Tuesday.

Not looking forward too having upper skeletal issues and also recovering from surgery. Thinking of using a board to lie on, propped up on a pile of blocks to save lying over the door sill to ease the pain a little

Will look into installing team viewer which I don't think I have currently.
Old 25th March 2018, 05:40 PM   #48
Richard6
Achieved official socks

In the absence of the winter weather and the change of the clocks, i decided to have another go and getting to the bottom of my problems. I went back through the earlier posts and deleted two suspect things showing that could be conflicting the drivers. I realised these that i pictured earlier showing as "RIM" were from my use of Blackberry software some time ago so i deleted them out.

I popped out, connected up all the cables and everything seem to be working now on the software side of things anyway but the DSC/ABS/Red brake warning are still with me. I cleared them but they have reappeared immediately and the error code 5DF5 appears.

On reading the analogue status all my wheel sensors read correctly when i move the car.

Reading the DSC sensors, they all appear ok in the green (pretty much bang on centre) with the brake pressures equally increasing up to 120ish when pressing the pedal and the steering angle responding and reading correctly.

On reading voltage / temps, its reading around 15.0 degrees.

Voltage Uref reads 0. ??? Is this normal?
Voltage Pump reads 0. ??? Is this normal?

Voltage clumb_30 reads 14.0.
Voltage Vcc reads 5.

In CAN data the steering angle and engine rpm are responding as per my steering movement and correspond with the dash rev counter.

In reading digital, the brake light, handbrake status are ok but operating the DSC button gives no response?

Is this normal? due to my error problem or could the switch be the problem?

i ask this as when pressing the switch, it feels different to the HVAC buttons in the button doesnt press in equally but seems to only push in at the lower portion of the button like its hinged at the top?

As you may have read in another post i made, i had earlier borrowed a code reader and obtained the same code but as these pumps vary in price i didnt want to chuck a small fortune at something until i found the actual problem.

Any ideas / input appreciated as I need to get to the bottom of this pending its MOT test.

Thanks in advance, Richard.

i forgot to add, when i go into analogue, it shows an option for F5 Read pressure sensor on the screen but down on the bottom toolbar, the button is present but the writing p-Sensor is greyed out and selecting F5 does nothing.

Last edited by Richard6; 25th March 2018 at 05:44 PM. Reason: Info added