The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum

Go Back   The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum > M3cutters Garage > Faults, Fixes and Solutions

Old 22nd July 2015, 11:47 AM   #1
FantomM3
Wearing official robes

Car: 2003 BMW M3 SMG
Default SMG Error Code 23

Hi,

Ive just replaced my starter motor which is fine but now my car has the yellow SMG cog and INPA says error code 23 "solenoid valve clutch"

The car drives fine and I've just done a full adaptation which completed with no errors...

Any ideas?

Many Thanks
James
FantomM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 22nd July 2015, 11:50 AM   #2
FantomM3
Wearing official robes

worth noting the error occurs every few minutes when sat at idle in neutral, and when it does occur I can hear a strange noise, like a pump labouring.

When the noise occurs I read the codes again and the number of times the fault has occured increases by 1 so it must be related to the noise...
Old 22nd July 2015, 07:38 PM   #3
FantomM3
Wearing official robes

Fixed this, it was low on fluid, the connection on the bottom of the reservoir was not on enough - not loose enough to cause a leak but loose enough to not allow fluid down into the pump.
Old 22nd July 2015, 07:56 PM   #4
Rick M3
Achieved official socks

Car: 2002 M3 Convertible

That's a new one !

Kudos for finding the fault and posting back though - knowledge is power
Rick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2018, 05:58 PM   #5
PMed
Achieved official socks

Car: 2004 e46 M3 coupe
Colour Combo: Estoril Blue

God I love the internet.

Just had this same error come up too with no symptoms. Now... Where do I get SMG fluid from?
PMed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2018, 10:20 PM   #6
byte9
A mere Chipper

Car: 2003 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantomM3 View Post
Fixed this, it was low on fluid, the connection on the bottom of the reservoir was not on enough - not loose enough to cause a leak but loose enough to not allow fluid down into the pump.
Sorry to wake the dead post.

I took off the sway bar and airbox to get to the bottom- it's tricky. I can't seem to get under the pentosin reservoir.
byte9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2018, 12:14 PM   #7
M3Chas
Achieved official socks

Colour Combo: Mystic Blue/Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMed View Post
God I love the internet.

Just had this same error come up too with no symptoms. Now... Where do I get SMG fluid from?
BMW or obtain some fluild to the CHF-IIS spec. It's called Central Hydraulic Fluid.

Make sure they don't try and sell you Dextron instead! GSF have!

Also, I'd change the reservoir or at least the filter inside it while you are there. That is if the reservoir is sensible money.
M3Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2018, 03:36 AM   #8
byte9
A mere Chipper

To add some richer context to this thread for internet travelers because u/FantomM3's post helped me to a fix but at the same time didn't cover all that i'll cover below.

I found this thread and the suggestion that the cable on the bottom of the pentosin reservoir causes INPA error code 23 "solenoid valve clutch" was in fact what also happened to me. (i had slow shift symptoms and dropping out of gear as well as a chattery pump noise- all because of low fluid in the pump but a pentosin reservoir that in fact looked full because when the cable is not fully connected there is a valve that keeps the reservoir from leaking - a **** design because at best case it keeps the fluid from leaking out but in the worst and most common case it will starve your smg pump of hydraulic fluid)

It seems an easy thing to end up happening to you- the design of the cable is a push up cable that auto clasps on and is easy to click once and not fully to twice if you've never removed it yourself is not a typical 'screw off' cable. If you get INPA says error code 23 "solenoid valve clutch" and want to diagnose if your cable is not fully connected then you need to

1. remove your sway bar
2. Remove only the air intake box, not the air intake manifold.
3. Remove the elbow that connects to the intake manifold
4. You'll now be able to see the little hose going into the pentosin reservoir - it's tight but you can get your hand under it and just push up on the cable. In the case of mine it went 'pop' and went up into the reservoir.
5. If this is the case for you, you'll want to do a SMG pump bleed at the very least as you likely have air in your system.

Hopefully you got INPA error code 23 "solenoid valve clutch" or a flashing cog I was not so lucky (i got those things very late and replaced almost all parts pump/clutch/salmon relay/gear position sensor/slave cylinder, some of which were needed anyways but were not the cause)

If you end on this thread and nobody answers feel free to email me vincentm at protonmail dot com and i'll help with any questions!
Old 27th April 2018, 03:04 PM   #9
msports
A mere Chipper

Car: 2006 BMW M3

I'm having the same issues as you described. When i took the intake manifold away from the itb i didn't get much leakage from the top reservoir, maybe this was due to the valve.

I will top up the reservoir when i get back today.

How do you bleed the smg to remove any air?
msports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2018, 04:10 AM   #10
byte9
A mere Chipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by msports View Post
I'm having the same issues as you described. When i took the intake manifold away from the itb i didn't get much leakage from the top reservoir, maybe this was due to the valve.

I will top up the reservoir when i get back today.

How do you bleed the smg to remove any air?
The whole things is you will not see any leakage. The valve 100% stops it. The issue is that you need to PUSH upwards on it to make it seal and then that causes the valve to open and allow fluid from the reservoir down into the pump. Once you do this run the car for a bit, turn it off and check your level. It should have pulled a good amount out of the reservoir once the valve is open and flowing into the pump and then you'll top it off.
Old 28th April 2018, 07:54 AM   #11
msports
A mere Chipper

brilliant, this makes sense i'll try this today. Thank you
Old 28th April 2018, 08:00 PM   #12
msports
A mere Chipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by byte9 View Post
The whole things is you will not see any leakage. The valve 100% stops it. The issue is that you need to PUSH upwards on it to make it seal and then that causes the valve to open and allow fluid from the reservoir down into the pump. Once you do this run the car for a bit, turn it off and check your level. It should have pulled a good amount out of the reservoir once the valve is open and flowing into the pump and then you'll top it off.
Its worked

Thanks to everyone who has replied on this thread, couldn't have solved it without you.

thanks