The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum

Go Back   The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum > M3cutters Garage > Faults, Fixes and Solutions

Old 17th February 2018, 09:00 PM   #1
Peterjohn
A mere Chipper

Car: 2012 E92 M3 Competition
Default Engine fault

Hi all

Had a strange fault appear over the last day or so, hoping fellow cutters can advise.

I have an E92 M3, I hadn’t used it for a week and a half or so and found that the key wouldn’t unlock the car. I assume it has gone flat, but the spare was working fine. I took a long trip in it today and got a low battery warning when I set off. I assumed it was due to me not using the car much and thought the long journey would help charge the battery. On the return journey I got all manner of warnings up at once and the car went into limp mode. It was engine fault plus all electronic driver aids were off.

At the end of the trip I tuned it off and on again and the faults have disappeared. Not sure if the key not working is coincidental but strange timing.

Any ideas about the cause welcome.

Thanks and apologies if I’ve posted incorrectly, not an experienced forum user...
Peterjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 17th February 2018, 10:20 PM   #2
Kirbster
Achieved official socks

Car: WHITE E92 M3 DCT/EDC
Colour Combo: White with black leather and carbon trim

I’ve heard of quite a few people who have had all the lights come on like you say when they have had low battery/low battery warning. These cars are really funny when it comes to having a low charge for some reason. It can throw up all sorts of faults.
Kirbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2018, 07:44 PM   #3
Peterjohn
A mere Chipper

Default Update

An update with my issue:

Took the car to main dealer, they said the battery was only at 50% charge and that it was the likely cause of the warnings and limp mode. They charged it and said it didn't need changing, tested it and it was ready for collection. They also said that the key being dead was a complete coincidence and charged me 130 for a new one, as the rechargeable battery inside it was worn out.

5 minutes after collecting, I got an EDC fault and limp mode again. Quick U-turn back to the main dealer. They apologised and gave me a nice X5 loaner. I asked them to test drive it properly/for longer again and now they have determined that it was the dreaded throttle actuator failure that plagues all of these cars! Quoted 900 to fix one actuator for one bank of cylinders.

I jumped online and found a chap called Jason from Rebuild, who sensibly offered to replace the actuator on both banks (why wait for the second one to fail) for 600 plus mileage charge to my place. This is an improved part which won't fail again and comes with a warranty. It's upgraded from the BMW original so seems like a no-brainer.

Will post again once fitted but fingers crossed that will be the end of it. Seems odd that my key failed, the battery went flat, and the throttle actuator failed on bank 2, all at the same time!

Anyone who has used Jason or has any advice on replacing the actuators, your comments are welcome. Jason has great Google reviews so fingers crossed.
Old 25th February 2018, 08:45 AM   #4
Flapps
Achieved official socks

Car: 2008 E93 M3
Colour Combo: SilverstoneII/extended fox red, all the whistles and bells as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterjohn View Post
An update with my issue:

Took the car to main dealer, they said the battery was only at 50% charge and that it was the likely cause of the warnings and limp mode. They charged it and said it didn't need changing, tested it and it was ready for collection. They also said that the key being dead was a complete coincidence and charged me 130 for a new one, as the rechargeable battery inside it was worn out.

5 minutes after collecting, I got an EDC fault and limp mode again. Quick U-turn back to the main dealer. They apologised and gave me a nice X5 loaner. I asked them to test drive it properly/for longer again and now they have determined that it was the dreaded throttle actuator failure that plagues all of these cars! Quoted 900 to fix one actuator for one bank of cylinders.

I jumped online and found a chap called Jason from Rebuild, who sensibly offered to replace the actuator on both banks (why wait for the second one to fail) for 600 plus mileage charge to my place. This is an improved part which won't fail again and comes with a warranty. It's upgraded from the BMW original so seems like a no-brainer.

Will post again once fitted but fingers crossed that will be the end of it. Seems odd that my key failed, the battery went flat, and the throttle actuator failed on bank 2, all at the same time!

Anyone who has used Jason or has any advice on replacing the actuators, your comments are welcome. Jason has great Google reviews so fingers crossed.
I have used Jason for both of my actuators and found the service he offered very fast, efficient and hassle free. Lots of other owners have done likewise and found the same. Its been two years since my last visit and both actuators have worked perfectly since then with no problems at all so not used the warranty he also offers, which is lifetime.

Flapps
Flapps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2018, 01:31 PM   #5
AgentB
Wearing official underwear

Car: 2012 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterjohn View Post
Have a look at the #1 sticky thread in the e9x form. S65/S85 throttle actuators.

You have found the right contact by all accounts.
AgentB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2018, 02:41 PM   #6
Peterjohn
A mere Chipper

Flaps and Agent B, thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.

Will post when the job is done.

Many thanks again

Pete
Old 2nd March 2018, 10:15 AM   #7
Peterjohn
A mere Chipper

During the worst of the snow, Ben who works with Jason at Rebuild, managed to get three throttle actuator jobs done, of which I was the last. He battled through the snow from up north, down to me in the midlands for 10.15pm! He had a 3 hour journey back to Kent after that. He did the job quickly and smoothly and due to the snow I've only had a quick test run but all seems well and no more faults on iDrive whoop!

Exceptionally dedicated people at Rebuild!
Old 7th March 2018, 03:25 PM   #8
Ant Man
Achieved official socks

Car: E92 M3 Individual with Competition Package
Colour Combo: Santorini Blue / black with blue stitching

Wow, bloody frustrating when a number of things go wrong at once. Is it just a coincidence or do certain things trigger other problems? At least the weather is brightening up now and you get go for a proper drive.

It may be prudent to buy a battery trickle charger / conditioner. I always leave my car hooked up. In the winter months it's mostly in the garage.
Ant Man is offline   Reply With Quote